"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

When a team wins the QB gets too much credit...when they lose too much blame, but since the Atlanta game Geno deserves very little credit for the wins and most of the blame for the losses. 50% compl 1 TD and 10 INT -- come on

2. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Now SEE...you really can't explain it any clearer than that! I've seen some references, as well, about how bad a Rookie QB's stats can be...let's use Peyton Manning as an example.

Manning, in his rookie season had 26 TD's and 28 Int's as well as 1 lost fumble for a total of 29 turnovers...16 games played.

Geno Smith, as well documented, has 8TD's 18 Int's as well as 5 fumbles lost for a total of 23 turnovers...through 11 games. With an average of 2 turnovers per game with 5 games remaining he will hit 33 turnovers. Where the offset is failing is the same amount of scoring production is not there.

We in the camp for the NY Jets winning some games and making the post season point to the Touchdowns. I can stomach a rookie making mistakes. Look at Manning. 29 turnovers...insane! BUT, almost just as many TD's as well. Hell...if Geno DOUBLED his touchdown passes we'd have won 2 of the games we lost...possibly three. Colts fans at the time saw a young QB making plays, scoring points but at the same time some mistakes. It was to be expected. Jets fans see a young QB making little to NO plays, making mistakes left and right with little to no progression...in fact...to the trained eye he is actually REGRESSING.

Those are FACTS and there is no way around it. I'm done on the subject. If I have to rail this hard to sit a 2nd round draft pick that we are paying a pittance to then I give up.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

until the playoffs are totally out of the question, we will see smith in there.

and i do believe that directive comes straight from the GM.

once the playoff thing goes past, we will likely see simms in there.

4. 85inthehall

And that is how you get a coach easily fired and have the locker room disintegrate around you. Now 2014 becomes trying to bring in a new coaching staff and trying to repair a fractured locker room. Not the best scenario. It also would mean the end of the geno Smith era after 1 season.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Whats ur take?

6. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Who cares? He was a mid 2nd round pick ( or low first 1/3rd), not a top 10 pick. Kellen Clemens was a 2nd rounder I didn't see anyone crying he never got his shot to run the offense. Geno is terrible, and unless God miracles a brain and better hands into this guy he doesn't have the make up to be an NFL QB.

Would anyone care if the Jets drafted a QB next year and traded Geno or just sat him down as a backup? I wouldn't, in fact I think the Jets have to draft a QB and sign a vet like Matt Moore.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

actually I used to complain frequently that the Jets did not give Clemens a fair shot. Imo Clemens right now is better than Sanchez was in his third and fourth seasons, but that is water under the bridge.

8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Agreed. The investment in Geno is not tangibly greater than Vlad Ducasse. And I won't be mourning the Ducasse era coming to a close in a few months time.

However, to get a replacement that is going to do anything with this team is going to need a serious contract, high draft pick or both.

9. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

It's pretty clear that Geno's not gaining meaningful experience at this point. If he is, it's not translating to any kind of improvement in his play. So, there's no future benefit to this experience for the club. The downside is you risk him learning "happy feet". If he's benched, maybe he can start to distinguish what issues are his to deal with and what issues anybody would have with the talent we have on the team and maybe he doesn't start looking for the rush first, rather than his receivers.

Simms, we have no idea what we have in him. There is a small chance that he'll play well and get himself either into the competition with the Jets next year or sign with another team. More than likely, given what else we have going on on offense (poor pass protection, wide receivers running the wrong routes, unable to catch passes, or unable to get separation with the DBs), he'll fail as well.

Personally, I feel like we've learned what we needed to know about Geno - he's not going to be successful with the current cast. Simms might be (small chance) or might not. But, we don't know. Nobody's had 10 games to watch him play. So, my vote would be Simms.

10. 85inthehall

I think the GM cares.

11. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I agree with what you said but I hate when people say "well Peyton manning sucked as a rookie", well guess what, he was asked to throw the ball 36 times a game as a rookie and was drafted #1 overall because the team was fucking garbage the year before he arrived. If Geno was asked to throw 36 times a game he'd have like 40 turnovers by now.