"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I still think this is one of the dumbest threads on the board. Simms has shown nothing - not this year and not ever. He has played part of one quarter. The preseason game is completely meaningless. His college career was a mess.

The Jets need to find out what they have in Smith over the next 6 games. Sitting him is useless. If the Jets were firmly in the playoff hunt and not in the hunt to be playoff fodder, it might make sense to start a veteran in this spot, but Simms is greener than Smith.

As Marshall Faulk just said on NFL Network when he said Smith should definitely start, a team like the Jets can't let their goal to win ONE game get in the way of the need to develop a QB for the long term.

The Jets have spent the past 5 seasons - from 2008-2012 in win now mode and if left the franchise in a mess. The roster is being built up, finally, with the goal to build a perennial winner. Finding a QB is the key part of that goal. There is no way in the world Simms is the long term answer at QB for the Jets. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional. It's like thinking the lottery ticket in your pocket is the winning ticket.

2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

So somehow playing the guy the coaches have no faith in letting throw the ball is better than the guy we know very little about?

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The 08 Jets were possible the best team in the NFL through 11 games before Favre got hurt and the team went in the tank. Back to back AFC finals. The 08 through 12 Jets even with the last two years was possibly the best stretch of Jets football in 40 plus years.

The Jets have been a perennial in the hunt team since Parcells was hired in 97.

Geno isn't improving and sitting may be as much a part of his development as playing at this point. When he gets hurt how is that going to help him develop?

Pennington developed on the bench as did disount Dabble check. Even Brady sat for a full season before being forced into action after an injury.

4. mute

mute Well-Known Member

If a pick 6 happens Simms will start but I don't see that happening as the jets aren't allowing Geno to throw

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

5. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

you are 100 percent right. if they wont let him trow the ball. sitting and learning is the way to go. I had been advocate for getting him reps but the coaching staff has clearly lost all confidence in him. like u said all thats going to happen is hes going to get hurt. 3 yards off offense in a quarter? is that nfl record. lets just let simms play. hes further along at this point

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

whats the point of starting simms with this playcalling. its not like they will let simms air it out

7. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Why are we even playing the game if we have zero confidence in Smith?

Let Geno throw or let Simms play FFS.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Time to stop screwing around. Either we play to win the game with Geno or change to Simms now. This game with the Ravens is absolute garbage offensively. There is no confidence anywhere up front.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'd go to Simms here to try and spark this shitty ass offense. This is hard to watch.

10. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

You don't have to air it out, to be better than 2 of 7 in a half

11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Work with Matty this week and start him vs the Dolphins to at least look presentable.

12. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I'd start Simms too...just to see how badly this team is flawed and how it isn't Geno or Matt's fault or any QB you want to stick under center.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm not opposed to seeing what Simms can do. He can't possibly be worse than Smith.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Matt Simms is so bad that he can't be started isn't there at least someone in the crowd who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express that could have given it a shot?

Geno is not the answer.

15. CreedBratton

CreedBratton New Member

None of this is Geno's fault?

16. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

He is one of the problems, absolutely. But the switch won't suddenly turn this team into world beaters is what I am getting at.

Too many holes. There's a reason this team was and still is considered a rebuilding process, just need to upgrade our targets in the worst way and reassess our OLine and secondary by year's end.

17. CreedBratton

CreedBratton New Member

I was all for playing Geno until today. I like him but the Jets have to see what they have in Simms. Geno has been awful. It is not just on him but hes been awful.

18. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

If this is the dumbest thread in this site...I have no idea what to say.

Ok..what if the thread title was this instead:

Start Simms even though he has less than a 25% chance to be a good qb because Smith has less than a 10% chance"

Would that shut up this craziness that people are rooting for Simms because they are positive he will be a great qb?

Then you state the goal is to build a year in year out winner.

Next year we are about to WASTE another high draft pick on a qb. Are you on record today..right now..saying the Jets should not waste that pick on a qb? We have that qb in SMITH?

Again...are all the lovers of Smith on record saying we do not have to draft a qb next year? I want a vote on this because this defense of this guy is starting to make me wonder what the f is going on with this site.

Are you saying we are all set?

Because if the answer is no...and I told you I saw the janitor throwing the ball 70 yards into the wind before the game...you better damn believe that janitor would be taking a few snaps this week JUST IN CASE we might not have to waste another high pick on a qb.

And if I can give a janitor a shot...I can surely give a kid who was throwing lasers in preseason a shot. Period.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I don't have any issues with Geno starting next week. This may be his last chance. If he stinks out there then you see what you have in Simms. We have two winnable games at home. We're still in the mix for a playoff spot we can't afford to lose another game. IMO and this may be the optimist in me, but I believe Geno will bounce back and have a few decent games going forward.

20. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Do we need to draft a qb in the draft next year...one of first couple picks. Yes or no. Do we need to draft a qb...or is Smith your man.