"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

can people see my avatar? I for some reason cant see my avatar...... I uploaded it and different ones too

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Nope can't see it, appears the link is broken?

3. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Who said he was a mythical figure? Ummm 820 replies in this ridiculous thread. So, yeah, a minority but very vocal portion of our fanbase. The same portion that has fallen in love with scrap heap backup QBs in the past.

Look, you can root for whoever you want on the roster to play QB, but the only chance this team has of getting top-level QB play in the near future is either with Geno or someone to be taken in next year's draft. Whether or not you can see that is irrelevant because the coaching staff and GM see it (in addition to the other 31 teams), and they are making the decisions.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

For those of us who have been around long enough to have rooted for Browning Nagle, Neil O'Donnell, Glen Foley, Frank Reich, Ray Lucas, and Rick Mirer, why should we believe that Matt Simms is any worse than those other bums that got a chance to start for this franchise?

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

No were near the vocal portion of our fan base that fell in love with Kellen Clemens, Mark Sanchez and now Geno Smith. Not saying that Smith will be a bust but you get the idea.

This team has hit on one drafted QB in roughly 50 years.

6. James Hasty

Namath may have been a grand slam homer but O'Brien and Pennington were base hits at the very least.

7. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Pennington was solid when healthy. Without the shoulder injuries, he would have been a perennial Pro Bowler (or close)

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If we could have drafted Pennington's brain, Kenny O's arm and put it on Geno's legs we would have a perennial Pro Bowler.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You said Simms is a myth, and that is not at all true. No one here is giving him credit for anything other than that he looked good in pre-season, and hte same CS that you speak so highly of chose to have him be the backup Qb to a rookie who entered the season without there being any reason to give him a lock on the starting job. Those are facts, not a myth.

10. James Hasty

You keep forgetting the biggest reason to start Simms so I will repeat it.

Simms HAS NOT TURNED THE BALL OVER, NOT EVEN ONCE.

Boy do I wish we could say that about Geno for one damned game.

11. Big Blocker

I have certainly on a number of occasions pointed out that Smith's level of turnovers is a huge concern.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Bar - Sparano and Schottenheimer, the same CS that stuck with butt fumble :wink:

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That'd be nice, but that's not enough...and I'm a Simms fan.

Wouldn't have helped against Cincy, and it's not gonna help this week.

I think Geno has shown enough so far to effectively quell the "start Simms" movement. I'm predicting we'll win 5 more games this year, and three will be primarily due to his play.

14. Big Blocker

Ftr I have come nowhere close to suggesting that Simms should start against NO or yet at any point so far this season. But if Simms continues to turn the ball over at the rate of two a game, and the Jets move out of any reasonable likelihood of contending for a playoff position, then it makes sense to see what Simms can do with a week of preparation. In other words and for an example if Smith sucks against NO, I might very well consider starting Simms against Buffalo.

15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Think you mean Geno - turnovers.

I am a fan of Simms, but no way he should start if Geno is having a bad game. This is Geno's team this season and should be next season, but that should be up to him and how he plays, balls in his hands so to speak.

However next season it should be a fair competition, whether or not that happens remains to be seen.
    If it is, my feeling is that Simms has more than a good shot at taking the job off Geno

16. James Hasty

Geno has already had at least a couple bad games.

I am not saying he is a bust if he can't lead us past New Orleans but he really needs to show that he can string together 2-3 wins in a row.

17. Big Blocker

If you think no matter how badly he plays that Smith is a lock to start the rest of the season, I disagree with that.

18. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

So..... how many bad games does Geno have to have before this guy gets a legitimate shot?

19. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

he plays like he did today next week we'll talk. another two? the Era of Eugene gets a setback for the remainder of the year.

20. James Hasty

Geno just had what was probably his worst game since he began playing in the NFL.

He could not read the defense, he could not find anywhere to hide from the pressure, he could not protect the football.

Instead of going through his progressions he seemed to cross his fingers and hope that Santonio could come up with the football. I almost wonder if he even kept his eyes open.

To make the playoffs at this point (believe it or not it is still possible, no seriously this game only counted as one loss) we have to basically win out.

It is time to pull the plug on the Geno Smith experiment from this point until we have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. This does not mean that Geno can not be our QB of the future but it does mean that for the time being he rides the bench and Simms becomes the starter.

We play the hot hand and go with whoever has shown in games and in practice that they give us the best chance to win now. Turn the ball over twice in one game and the guy on the bench is you.