"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

he says that because he has heard Gino's name in the media for a lot longer, and because of that Gino was considered a greater prospect (at at one point the best QB prospect in the draft). it has nothing to actually do with either of their actual abilities.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Oh another reason I haven't really seen anyone mention:

You have a QB comp. then start the 4th string QB at the start of it because he looked good against 3rd stringers and he bombs, you look like a complete idiot and can be leaving yourself to get fired. Idzik, Rex, and MM have not built up the clout or tenure in this organization to make a decision like that.

You start Geno or Sanchez and they bomb, oh well. Move on and then work your way down the depth chart. These people want to keep their jobs.

Can you disagree with this holding them back, sure. But I totally see where they are coming from in this scenario.

3. njjet

njjet Member

:drunk:

I don't know what games you have seen???? Simms has a better arm and has played much better then Smith. Based on performance Simms should START.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They should have been fired right their. A QB competition implies that the QB who plays the best during a short pre-season and shows an ability to lead and push people ahead in pre-season with limited snaps is the starting QB. You couple that with putting in a new offense and the reality is management doesn't have enough information to start anyone based on a competition. We may get lucky or maybe not. It's the Jets were due for some luck but unfortunately he's in Indiana.

The only logical conclusion is competition isn't a factor. The starter was always going to be named based on a guess. The name of the starter was pulled out of the collective asses of Rex, Marty and John. I'm guessing their collective asses are very capable of putting out a large pile of something. Unfortunately picking the right starter isn't one of them.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

this is what I have been saying all along. and it isn't even unique to this situation; it is why most low round picks or undrafted QB's rarely see the field to begin with.

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Remember Rex's very telling "incumbant" faux pas several weeks ago? There was never any doubt in his mind that MS was the starter and unless the challengers walked on water, he was going to start. Some "competition"...

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

How do you have a competition that can give you a reasonable understanding of what you have in a starting QB based on a handful of no contact practices and controlled scrimmages where teams aren't scheming for your QB?

You can eliminate complete incompetence but you can't really gauge who gives you the best chance to consistently win against real NFL competition that's scheming for the QB based on tape.

The Jets are essentially eliminating QB's through injury or incompetence. They have only one player that has elevated and he did it against 2nd tier players. The competition concept doesn't really exist. This was always about plan B.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In almost any other NFL city the fans collective reaction to the QB situation would be something along the lines of "ok, well they picked, hope the guy does well."

With the Jets it's like "OMG they picked the Spawn of Satan over my guy!" "He's going to fail and the Jets are going to HELL!'

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There is almost no NFL cities where QB competitions are held. The cities that tend to have them have teams that are already in Hell.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are 3 or 4 cities every year where the winner of the starting QB job is not known going into camp.

Last year you had SEATTLE in that camp as an example. You also had Arizona, San Francisco, Cleveland and maybe Jacksonville there.

Some of those teams were in hell. Some were obviously not in hell and for some it was unclear. In none of the situations did you have management and the coaching staff damned if they did and damned if they didn't because the media was going to take any decision and try to make it the wrong decision.

The only difference between Sanchez and Smith starting game 1 is that the media is now targeting Smith as unready. If Sanchez was starting the media would be targeting him as a failed QB and blasting the Jets because they could not replace him in an effective manner.

11. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

So if Simms goes out there and plays poorly the Jets management look like idiots, but if Geno goes out and plays poorly, that's ok? Lolwut.

At the end of the day the best way to keep your job is by winning and to do so you have to pick the QB that gives you the best chance to win.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

They have concluded that Geno gives the best shot. End of discussion.

13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Your examples are way off the mark and NOT realistic to our situation.

Seattle is the only thing close...the nobody draft pick stomped the FA Golden Boy and guess what...they started him. Pete Carroll was NEVER even remotely on the "block."

Arizona and Cleveland the coach was FIRED and replaced and in Jacksonville the QB was a reflection on the GM as it was a HIGH 1st rd. pick. In San Francisco it's real easy to swap out a Top performing QB when another guy comes in and performs even BETTER!! I think, as I go back through my mind, that that has NEVER happened...maybe Bledsoe/Brady in New England...but that's it. Living out here in the Bay Area, though, I will tell you the local media was flipping out! I mean FLIPPING out!!!

The problem with all these teams you picked is they are ALL really small market teams, except for San Francisco, and while the national media didn't get on board if you go their message boards and/or local media reports...there was a crap load of flipping out going on. For whatever reason...the NY Jets always seem to garner NATIONAL media attention. Why, I don't know...it's not like they've won a SB lately or something. It's quite ridiculous.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Uh yes, if you don't see the logic why I'm not sure what I can do. They would take a 4th string QB and leapfrogged him over everyone because how he played vs 3rd stringers. In the case of Geno you have the built in excuse of he's a rookie, he's not ready, we want to see what he has. With Simms you look like a fool if you spend a game or 2 on him and he just falters. None of the people involved in making this decision have the clout to hold off second guessers if they start Simms and he falters.

Nobody likes to talk about it, but these guys don't have the luxury of doing things outside the norm. If you do something outside the norm and fail, you look stupid/crazy/and open up the door for criticism. If you do something within the norm and fail, oh well you followed the typical strategies and it didn't work.
    It's why when Bill B. went for it on 4th and 2 against IND a few years ago and didn't get it, everyone was ready to jump on him. If he punted and lost the game, nobody would have said anything.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Have the Jets actually announced that yet or has it just been media "sources" so far? I'm not saying they're wrong, just that I find the "sources" less and less reliable and in turn more difficult to trust.

16. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Bingo!!!!!!!!! The greatest slogan ever coined..."Just Win Baby!"

The Jets win and all will be forgotten. I will bow down at the Alter of Geno Smith...apologize for my skepticism and run out and buy his Jersey. If not, I will be the FIRST one on the "I told you so" band wagon and will be really questioning Idzik's motives for our team. Same with Ryan to be honest. Do they want to WIN or do they want to be RIGHT?

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Not the case.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Re: Just Win baby , I love that! It should be the NFLs slogan, going to miss that crazy ol fucker.

I think you know how good Geno is like me, he's good but raw and if he starts lighting it up will be waiting for it to stop and say I told you so.

I will be so happy to eat humble pie, like never before, believe me!

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto