"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Well now...if that is the case and Marty has said that then I'll get behind Geno Smith. :)

As many of you said, we are not in the locker room so maybe there are other things than good football play going on.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I just got one question. What is the worst case scenario if Simms starts?
    Or, more specifically, how is this worst-case scenario compares to if Geno starts?

Simms didn't play with 1st team and thus has no real practice and thus will be eaten alive by TB? Ok, let's say its true. Well, Geno was eaten alive by NYG, so they both might ending up shitting themselves.

The difference IMO is Simms is the only Jets QB who looked serviceable this off season. The summary is simple: If you believe Jets are going nowhere this year, why not start Simms, what exactly do you have to loose?

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Congrats to Simms for making the team. It seems the cut of McElroy signals Simms is a Jet.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

heres a ....... FUCK YEAH!!!!! :jets:

5. njjet

njjet Member

Unfortunately, the brain thrush for the Jets will not allow Simms a change to be the starter. They are committed to the number 2 draft choice. Mark is Rex choice. Injury is the only way Simms gets the call. Sad state of affairs.

6. mezzavo

Let me say this first...I in NO WAY want Geno Smith injured. Having said that, if this kid continues to play the way he did in preseason it won't be long before we see Simms because he's going to get his block knocked off the way he tentatively dances around on the field.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that easy. Because while it would be nice that Simms light it up, your only plan can't be well Simms is going to light it up so we don't have worry about it if he fails. I think it's a lot tougher decision than people think.

We don't have the luxury of practices and meetings and stuff. THis is why I kind of wish (even though they wouldn't show all of it) Hard Knocks every year for this team. It makes the preseason even more fun

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Couldn't agree more. Simms has seen more action than Geno and got battered early on against the Eagles and learnt quickly on the fly, Geno could do the same, but it will be LIVE action, huge difference and it matters

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Simms somehow got the start and lit it up in the first two games, the Jets brass would be complete idiots to bench him in favor of the other two. You stay with the hot hand. That is the easiest decision you can make.

#389 abyzmul, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Now that Geno has been named starter, I will be supporting him.

I will cringe whenever he drops back however.

11. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

We've had the last 2 years of doing that, so you should be good. :)

12. mezzavo

You know...there's always one thing I have wondered and in my playing time never got to see...I wonder how Simms takes this. Knowing he played better than the "Dream Team" when it counted...on the field and not in practice. I wonder what that's got to do to a guy. Does anyone know what he's making this year? Can't be much. I wonder for how many years the contract is for as well.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Simms is signed to a 1 year futures contact with no bonus money that is probably pretty close to the minimum a player can make of his tenure. But very much in the grand scheme of things.

14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I see in the near future, the crowd chanting for Simms. Smith is going to suck so bad it shouldn't take long. The problem is the GM won't want to show he made a mistake and they won't bench Smith in favor of Simms.

15. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

I have no doubt in my mind that Simms would do better than Geno if he would have started week 1. My full attention will not be on week 1's game against the bucs because I can not stand to watch the train wreck that week 1 will entail. If Sanchez started I wouldn't mind as much but with Geno in, I can't stand to watch while I am certain of such. After the first pick happens in the first, maybe second quarter, I will be riding the waves because ill definitely be channel surfing from that point. There throwing a rookie into the fire who has proven up to this point that he is far from ready to start in the NFL. Call me a negative nelly if you wan't but I feel im speaking out of frustration with a dose of reality.

#395 Joeyd223, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  16. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

I have a funny feeling that sometime in the near future, I'm going to have to change this threads title to "Official Really Should have Started Matt Simms Thread"

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I know, what I'm saying is you can't assume he is going to do that and not have a plan for what happens if something goes wrong. You can't go into it saying, QB A is going to perform fine so we don't need to plan for what happens if he plays bad. If the Jets FO/CS thinks like that, well that shows where a lot problems would be coming from. You have to consider what would happen if the QB you start turns out to suck for 2-3 games and not just cover your ears and say "la la la our QB is going to be fine"

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Simms plays a very similar game to Geno and IMO Geno plays that game at a higher level and has a greater ceiling.

19. mezzavo

Why do you say this? No, really, I'm asking for a deeper explanation...

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ya. Simms threw 3 picks.

What?