Official OTAs thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2018.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Of course. But those guys are gonna tweet and say anything to stir it up. They're gonna try like hell. Watch lol.
    Bates didn't say what that tweet implied. Then it gets published as a report from "a source" from Semeni and it's on. Fans should just try to just enjoy the ride and not feed into it.

My following post was more about the Bates and assistant coach pressers. It was good stuff and worth checking out. We have some good assistants imo and I think there's several young players that are gonna go up the curve some this year.

#181 Walt White, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

When was this? Is it still there?

I avoid TS twice a day, every day, but that sounds like something I’d like to see.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Bates actually said "If he can handle it, if he can prove that he's the starter, then that will take place when the time comes." When asked when Darnold will become the starter.
    Of course Cimini , changed it to Darnold expected to be day 1 starter , and Manish picked it up from there.
    Dead season until camp starts. The beat writers are setting up for the next wave of fluff and clickbait that the fanbase eats up.

4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It was last Saturday. The exhibit (NFL experience) is still there but they only do player appearances every once in a while.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  5. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

That's a great picture. You guys look like a couple of bros bro-ing it up somewhere

Red Menace and Big Cat like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with SOJF. They just finished OTAs and a minicamp. TC hasn't even begun. It's just immature and silly imo for Bates to talk about starting Darnold at this point. It can put too much pressure on Darnold, can cause a controversy, and cause hard feelings in McCown or Teddy, and could even possibly drive down Teddy's trade value. There's no reason to even talk about it at this point. Of course fans are going to be talking about it as well as the media. IMO the Jets' CS should keep their yaps shut.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think he should have said one word about even the possibility of Darnold starting to the media.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  7. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Thanks. The appearances don’t interest me so much. I’ll have to check it out.

Big Cat likes this.
  8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Got it.

9. jetophile

Hopefully The New Dump burned down and it hasn't hit the news yet. Yes, I know the Jets don't practice there, but indulge me.

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He responded to a question during his media availability.
    The full quote was...

"We threw the whole playbook at him, just like Josh and Teddy," Bates said. "If you treat them like a rookie, they'll become a rookie. So we threw the whole book at him, see what he can handle, what he needs to work on. He's done a really good job. There's a lot of information there.

"If he can handle it, if he can prove that he's the starter, then that will take place when the time comes. I don't want to speak for coach [Todd Bowles]. He makes the final decisions, of course. But we're here to play the best football players."
    He answered the Question without giving an answer.
    Bates handled it very well.

11. Walt White

Yup.

That's the real story imo. I thought it was a really good presser. I was impressed with Bates.

Of course the proof is in the pudding come game time. Whoever the starting QB is :mad:
    :)

But it's typical of the media to take a quote and put it out there out of context or just rewrite the thing. The pressers are for all to see on the Jets site. Douchebags like Cimini and Mehta aren't needed for any interpretation when it comes to quotes.

K'OB, NY Jets68, FJF and 2 others like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is very SOJF. The guy said, in short “he will start when he’s ready” which is 100% the correct response. Whats he supposed to do, say Sam will never start? Stare blankly at the wall? How would you have wanted him to answer?

K'OB, All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  13. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

Nice to see you here Jeto It's Bajakian

14. jetophile

Haha, hello!!!

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Hansen love is real, sounds like he's gonna force his way into this WR rotation.

K'OB likes this.
  16. Walt White

Bowles said in his presser that this is the deepest the roster has been to set up good competition for the final 53 across all the units. Here's a look at the WR corp which could be a tough group to defend especially with Enunwa and Pryor being healthy. Along with improvement from Hansen, Stewart, and Peake, with Leggett and the rest of the TE's this could get interesting.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Outside of Darnold and his progression, I think the key offensive upgrades are Enunwa's return, Pryor, and Long.
    If those guys are healthy and productive, that's quite an offensive boost. If not, it's well below average talent like last year.

Defense should be better too, especially in run support and in the secondary.

At this point, I'm optimistic. Dammit this happens to me every June/July!

NCJetsfan, FJF and Walt White like this.
  18. Walt White

Me too, lol. I'm factoring in some of the young guys going up the curve.

Offensively, along with the guys you mentioned, a healthy Winters, Shell getting better, and the addition of Crowell too. Maybe get back to running the ball with him like they did with Ivory pounding it and setting up the QB better.

FJF likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Guy, response to what? There was no question asked as far as that tweet. It just says that Bates gushed over Darnold and says that he will start if he can handle what the Jets throw at him. Even if a question was asked, it could have been something like, "How's Darnold doing so far?" or "What do you think of how Darnold looked in OTAs?" Even if Mehta asked him point blank if there were any plans to start Darnold, imo Bates should never have said what he did. He should have said something like, "We're very pleased with the progress Darnold is making." or "We think he has looked very good so far." The Jets have two experienced QBs on the roster. There should be a competition in TC. Nothing should have been said about any of the 3 starting. They don't have to tell the media everything they think or know.

Besides, what they may be throwing at Darnold is a lot less than what Teddy and McCown will have thrown at them. I stand by my comments. It was a stupid thing to say, and it has nothing to do with being a "SOJF" whatever that is. Sorry, that you can't see the negatives in what he said.

20. NCJetsfan

Hi Bajakian!! Welcome!

Bowles Movement likes this.