OFFICIAL MATT LEINART THREAD: Merge x1938

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dwalsh, Mar 15, 2006.

1. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

Young has an unorthodox throwing motion in large part because he has such a quick release. This actually makes him more effective as a passer.

And the bottomline is effectiveness: Young had a better passer rating than Leinart despite having played against better defensive competition in the regular season.

2. lightning

lightning Active Member

bottom line is not effectiveness! it's how they translate into the nfl, and leinart has been nfl ready for 2 years, you can't say that about vince

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Young may have been a better COLLEGE QB last year (before that, it wasn't even CLOSE), but that's like saying Eric Crouch was a better college QB than Tom Brady. It might be true, but it means nothing in terms of NFL potential. Young has a lot to prove. The upside is astronomical, but the downside is also there.

4. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

That unorthodox throwing motion will translate into turnovers in the pros. Theres a reason it's considered unorthodox.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You would have hated Staubach and Steve Young and Rothlesberger must seem like a complete bust to you.

6. Bricket-head

I don't think Steve Young was a very good qb.

http://www.steveyoung.net/home.htm

7. winstonbiggs

8. Bricket-head

9. winstonbiggs

That's fair and I honestly don't see Leinart as a great NFL QB. Probably pretty good. I honestly feel Vince while risky has the potential to be great.

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

thats exactly how i feel, im not a huge fan of either. but he pegged it right there.

11. Bricket-head

To me they both have potential. And I am in no way saying that VY will be a bust. He does have the potential to be a franchise caliber Qb. But, when I look at VY I see a better athlete than a qb. And I just wonder if you took away his ability to scramble, could he make all the necessary throws and decisions an NFL quarterback needs to?

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

winning the rose bowl did not prove Young was better QB on the field than Leinart, just as had SC won it wouldn't have proven him better than Young. it simply proved Young was man enough on his own to beat possibly one of the greatest footbal teams in college football history. which is an outsatnding accomplishment, but to use it as a means to diminish Matt Leinarts accomplishments is dishonest and biased.

both are great, but you seem intent on diminshing Leinart's accomplishments to make Young look better to, I suppose, simply validate your being a fan of Young.

whichever is available at 4 the Jets would be foolish to pass on. each provide different dynamics, but what each do they have both proven to do great and their is no reason to believe they cannnot continue to do so on the next level. but prefering one doesn't m,ean you have to degrade the other.

13. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

The important thing is the way he did it. Young showed throughout his career that he had the ability to bring his team back to victory. And the bigger the stage, the bigger he shined. That is the hallmark of a great quarterback.

My biggest worry with Texas next year is that when the team gets behind against an opponent it is supposed to beat, particularly on the road, they won't have Vince to bring them back. That is what you lose when you lose him.

14. Hazardous Waters

It isn't a typo. How can you type an extra "h" in the middle of a word on a consistent basis?

The reason we bicker about these things is because if people don't know how to spell the name, they might not know too much about the guy.

15. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Leinart vs. Young

If we are gonna take those kinds of risks lets put Cutler and Croyle in the mix

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Young and Leinart hardly equate to risks, at least in the same sense as Cutler and Croyle.

17. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

LionHart...sorry Leinart

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9372948/1

Does agent-dumping Leinart want football or showbiz?

I feel for Leigh Steinberg.

Those aren't my words. They belong to a high-profile sports agent who was talking Tuesday of USC quarterback Matt Leinart's decision to fire Steinberg as his representative.

It's not often you hear one agent expressing compassion for another, but it's not often someone with the credentials and allure of Leinart changes representatives 2½ weeks before the NFL Draft, either.

Matt Leinart enjoys the L.A. high life. (Getty Images)
    But he did. And we're all left to wonder what happened.

Well, our agent has an idea. In a nutshell, he said, Steinberg couldn't deliver what Leinart wants -- and what he wants, he believes, is a future that includes pro football and its residuals, which maybe, just maybe, includes hanging out in Hollywood.

Steinberg could take care of the pro football part. Heck, he represents quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger and Mark Brunell, was behind quarterbacks Troy Aikman, Steve Young and Warren Moon and represented eight former first-round draft picks.

But it's that other part -- Leinart's outside interests, including the Hollywood scene -- that got Steinberg tossed, our man in the streets said.

"Matt Leinart doesn't know what he wants to be," he said. "A pro football player or a movie and TV star."

The problem, according to our agent, was a conflict between Leinart's off-the-field interests -- with Creative Artists Agency (CAA) hired to market him -- and Leinart's football future, which Steinberg represented. Leinart has several persons with little or no experience in the pro-sports business advising him, our agent said, and he was getting conflicting messages about what was best for his future.

So they convinced him to can Steinberg.

"I feel for Leigh," the agent said, "because he was the voice of reason here. Leigh has been through this before. He's represented quarterbacks and first-round draft picks, but the noise around the league is that there's a conflict -- and it's that Matt Leinart is not sure what he wants to be.

"Leinart has several persons advising him who seem more concerned with his off-the-field dollars. But Leigh knew the moment you drop from the first pick to the second in the draft you've lost $8 to 10 million, and that's where you make the real dough. They didn't want to hear it.

"Listen, I have no reason to speak up for Leigh Steinberg, but I know what happened here. Matt Leinart is insulated, surrounded by people who don't understand football like Leigh does. No wonder Leigh doesn't know what happened. He didn't make a mistake here, but nobody listened to him. So they kicked him to the curb."

With Tom Condon last week leaving IMG for CAA, speculation immediately centered on him as Leinart's next agent. Leinart hasn't indicated what he will do, but Condon makes sense -- if for no other reason than Leinart would have one agency with, presumably, one voice behind him.

Advertisement

Also, Condon is one of the premier sports agents, representing a variety of marquee stars, including Peyton and Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Gonzalez, Marvin Harrison and LaDainian Tomlinson. He also represented the first pick in last year's draft, San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith.

Condon's history with high draft picks is well documented, but the question is: If he's chosen, does he really make a difference? I mean, doesn't Leinart still have a coterie of advisors around him? More important is this: What does this decision really say about Matt Leinart and his future?

And that's where this could get interesting. It might mean nothing, or ...

"I spoke to one GM who could be in the running for him," our agent said, "and he said it's this conflict running through Matt Leinart that concerns him more than anything. His arm strength he can live with. His athleticism he can live with. But these other things? He just wonders how he handles it when he's not in Hollywood anymore. He wonders: Does he really want to play football or does he just want to have fun?

"If there were red flags before, this is another one. People are wondering what Matt Leinart is doing. The last time I remember a player of this caliber switching agents late like this was Jerry Maguire. It just doesn't happen. All Matt Leinart had to do between January and April was stay out of traffic, and he would've been the second pick in the draft. Now, there are all sorts of questions that people are asking."

Well, this does scare me, I do not think I want him on the Jets, arm strength, and lack of commitment, I know of a current/former NHL player, who has retired and moved back and forth to Hollywood about 3 times, his name was Alexander Daigle and he was a former first round, first pick overall draft choice of the Ottawa Senators.

I wonder if one of the off-field advisors they speak of is Tara Reid, I just do not think a guy that is expected to be picked so high is developing so many question marks. Give me Williams or Hawk, followed by Young, D'Brick and Cutler over this guy.

Oh and I also though about putting it in the draft forum but because we are very close to being in position to taking him because of the Titans change of heart I felt it was relevant

#177 Wolfe Tone, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  18. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

That is certainly a scary article...I am not a fan of people whom potentailly could have off field issues.

19. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Yeh I have seen it once before in a high profile situation like this and it turned out bad, I also have a freind who was drafted by the Rangers about 5 years ago and after getting his signing bonus and partying in NY he pissed his career away and now is a parts guy at a local autimotive shop

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Jeez, every single player has potentially got off-field issues. If Leinart is available at 4 then I can't see us passing on him unless we get a blockbuster offer or we're insane.