OFFICIAL MATT LEINART THREAD: Merge x1938

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dwalsh, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I still think there is a high chance that we snap him up at four IF (and thats a big if) he is still there.

I have not heard about his shoulder surgeries, Can someone please elaborate?

2. lebojets

lebojets New Member

Leinart/Hawk

Now that we signed Kassell it is very unlikely they will draft Hawk. Kassell steps in as a starter right away. They can get a lb later. Leinart is aanother story. All types of stories that the Titans will take Young. If the Raiders do not trade with the saints to get Leinart he would be there at 4 for us. I feel you can get at least 3 picks for him maybe 2 this year and 1 next and maybe move down till about the 6 to 10 spot. Thats the way i would go depending who we can get if we move down. I still would pick Mario Williams over Leinart. What does everybody think?

3. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

IF Leinart is there at 4 there is no question...the Jets take the franchise QB.

That being said I don't think he'll be there at 4 anyway.

4. lebojets

lebojets New Member

I dont think there is a sure franchise Qb in this draft. You cant blow this pick it will effects us for years.

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

IMO, as of today, Bush #1, Williams #2 and Leinart #3........everything else conjecture and smokescreens. The Jets are left with Young, Cutler, D'Brick, Hawk, Ngata or Davis The Jets would probably be better off trading down 3 to 4 spots to get another pick and take one of the above players, like Ngata or Duke Davis.

If we stay at #4....don't be surprised if we draft Hawk, he's Tangini's type of player. I doubt the Jets will draft D'brick at #4, not their style, there are some great O-Line value in rd 2-4.

#85 WW85, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  6. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I would never pick Mario Williams over Matt Leinart. There is no way. If I wanted a lesser John Abraham, I would have kept him. The Pats schemes got sacks with the scheme, not stars.

Now onto Leinart. If Leinart is on the board when the Titans pick, and they do not take him this is how the selection cards will go, with timing:

[12:35:02 pm] Tagliabue: "With the 3rd selection, the Titans Select Vince Young, QB from Texas"

[12:35:03 pm] Tagliabue: "With the 4th selection, the Jets select Matt Leinart, QB from USC"

They'd hire Carl Lewis to run the card up there they'd want it done so fast.

7. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

You want to explain how Cutler is a "Tangini" type of player and Young isn't?

#87 Green Hurricane, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2005
  8. lebojets

lebojets New Member

Wait till his throws start till hang in the wind. Plus i think he is a me first player something Mangini does not want. Hawk does make a lot of sense but they need defensive ends. Right now on the roster we only have Ball,Ellis.Kimo,Johnson, Thomas they are converting to a linebacker. If they pass on Willaims Stanley McClover from Auburn would be a nice pick in the 3rd rd. This FO is not sold on taking a QB in the !st rd. They want value and playmakers this year not players to sit and develope.

9. lebojets

lebojets New Member

You dont think Richard Seymour is a star?

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I agree with your points on Leinart, however I disagree with the assertion that Young is not a Mangini type of player. Mangini has repeated numerous times that his type of player is a hard working, intelligent, selfless individual who is willing to give his all for the team.

If anything, Cutler is less of a "Mangini type of player" than Young is. I would think that when Cutler makes comments about having nothing around him at Vanderbilt, he may be speaking the truth, but you simply don't throw your teammates under the bus like that. That is anything but selfless. Further, I know Young did horrible on the wonderlic, but that test is also the most underrated test in the entire NFL scouting process. My proof of that is that Dan Marino scored a 13 on his wonderlic, and look how he turned out. Pretty damn good. Many NFL players have gone on to show great "football intelligence" despite their wonderlic, while many who scored great on the test simply bombed because they didn't have football wits.

11. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

That's exactly what I would say, and that's exactly what I see in Mario.

12. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

one in high school (i know this one involved the dreaded rotator cuff), one in college, both to his throwing arm, plus surgery for tendinitis in the elbow.

13. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

HUH?

The guy is a winner!

14. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Not really. Just looked at his stats to see what exactly he's done. According to nfl.com the last 2 seasons he's gotten 4 and 5 sacks respectively. Best season was 8 sacks, which is great for a 3-4 DE. To get the most out of Williams freakish ability, the traditional patriots scheme might have to be modified a bit....making me wonder if williams is as good a fit as some might claim....

15. lebojets

lebojets New Member

Hey any good Qb can with with the talent he had. That still does not make a sure thing, franchise Qb. He will struggle getting away from pressure in the NFL no matter what team he plays for.

16. lebojets

lebojets New Member

Seymour may not put up big stats put he causes matchup problems so others get the pressures and tackles. Seymour is a stud.

17. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I think Seymour is a very good player, and very tough.

I also saw the Pats D play well when he was hurt too.

I would not equate Seymour and Williams. They aren't the same guy.

18. lebojets

lebojets New Member

no i am not saying Seymour and Williams are the same type of players. But Williams can be very disruptive. By the way the Pats D slacked off until Seymour returned. Remmber they had trouble against the run until he came back.

19. nyjballandbeer51

nyjballandbeer51 New Member

Personally I have a feeling Tangini will come into the draft strong, and bold. Do something daring, make us forget the depressing drafts of the past, and sign the most exciting, and well-known player in the draft (with the exception of reggie), expect them to shake things up and do whatever it takes for Matt.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm thinking the opposite, Tangini isn't going to mortgage the future to move up to grab Leinart. We need to stay at #4 and see who falls to us, if Leinart ...Great!! It would take our 2nd, 3rd and another 2nd day pick to move up 2 spots to draft Leinart. We need players and draft choices, especially with the quality depth in this draft class. I've been following the draft for over 15 years and this is one of the deepest drafts.

#100 WW85, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2005