OFFICIAL MATT LEINART THREAD: Merge x1938

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dwalsh, Mar 15, 2006.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I wonder why he REALLY wants to play in the NFL...

?

2. Tight

Tight Active Member

Who the F*** does he think he is ? He makes me sick, you go where yo go.

I dont like this kid

3. nyjballandbeer51

nyjballandbeer51 New Member

If he can perform as well as being a showman I am all for it, hopefully he wouldnt go too far like some of the asses in the NFL like TO but hey its exciting having someone who is a showman.

4. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I don't think the article means showman on the field, I think they mean showman off the field, which can translate into some issues down the road. But I am with you I like that on the field confidence that can be borderline arrogance

5. MyFavoriteMartian28

If he wants to go #1 overall, then he should wipe the shit-eating grin off his face and start worrying more about building his armstrength instead of getting Nick Lachey's sloppy seconds or seeing how many times he can show up on E! News. Fucking Hollywood - he epitomizes the exact opposite of what Mangini has defined as the type of player he wants to have on the Jets roster.

6. parafly

parafly New Member

Leinart will not being going #1 overall. And I don't think we are trading up. We are sitting in a great position, and it would not be in the best interest of the team to trade up and waste additional draft picks.

We will stay at 4 and take either leinart, williams, or d'brick.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's right, F*** him! who does he think he is, trying to get drafted higher and make more money? he'll go where he goes!

on a similar note, next time you are negotiating a raise with your boss, you'll take what they want to give you! who do you think you are, negotiating with your bosses to maybe get a higher raise. you'll take what they offer and like it! how dare you posture and think you have a right to tell anyone what you think you are worth or what you would like to get paid!

rrrrraaaaggggghhhh!!

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I agree. The one glaring exception being when Willis McGahee and Drew Rosenhaus played the Buffalo Bills with the help of ESPN and a cell phone.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

there is a difference between off the field issues and off the field interests. I hate to break it to you, but all players have off teh field interests, whether it is family or other recreations. this article merely speculates on Leinart's off the field interests.

the only concern is how those off the field interests intefere with on field performance, but that is still different than off the field issues.

10. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

it's about time some more people start realizing how "great" of a person he is

11. 1028

1028 Active Member

Eh the only players I really like for us in the first round anyway are Vernon Davis and Mario Williams

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Posturing by his agent. The #1 pick gets the most $$ by far, so you don't think his agent is thinking about his commision percentage of the dollars the#1 pick commands?

13. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Just the same, Matt Leinart has been giving me the willies since before the combine. Another pretty boy painting himself as the All-American Kid - bah!! Just wait until USC's NEXT pretty boy QB hits the field. THe world isn't ready for the big head of Mark Sanchez.

#213 Sundayjack, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  14. Brooks Brady

Brooks Brady New Member

I might take him at four, but I DEFINITELY would not trade up the two first rounders or the first and a second rounder just to get him. Mario Williams/D'Brickashaw Ferguson are better picks who will have a much greater impact on the success of the team, both initially and in the future.

15. nyjetsjetsjets

nyjetsjetsjets New Member

nuff said!
    Of course our name gets thrown in because we "need" a qb. Triflin'. As already stated, Matt is NOT #1 pick material. Good post, but never gonna happen.

16. Electric Cedric 34

Electric Cedric 34 New Member

Matt's starting to get this attitude about him, and I'm not sure if he's right for us. Remember his reaction when he lost vs. Texas?

17. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

If he wanted to go #1 that bad he should've just entered the draft last year.

18. realdealramsey

realdealramsey New Member

There is no GM in all of football that would trade up to #1 and not take Bush. He is the posterchild if this draft, and deservedly so. NOBODY will do it.

19. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Not that I don't agree, but as said, top picks are supposed to be much less of a risk. Bush, Williams, and D'Brick are all supposed to be great guys who would put the team first. Leinart....not so sure at this point. Maybe he shoulda hired Speilberg to be his agent instead of Steinberg.

EDIT: I do believe that if Leinart is there, we either take him or rob someone blind who is desperate to get him.

#219 MobiusOne28, Apr 14, 2006
  20. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

You either HAVE to take Leinert if he's available at 4.

Look, this is just an article...who knows what the real truth is. We have an unnamed agent talking hypotheticals about his circle of friends being the reason Leinert fired Steinberg.

If it's one thing we know, in the world of agents and brokers (and that's sports, real estate, mortgages, car salesmen etc.) that work on commission, anything AND everything is possible.

You can choose to look at the bad side and say this guy doesn't love football. But that's a bunch of crap. The guy is an incredible competitor, and he also happens to love the spotlight....Broadway Joe anyone? He's also a professional with the media, and will take a lot of the pressure away from the team when things are tough, and will be gracious enough to praise his teammates in the media when things go well. Playing QB or any spotlighted position (QB, Pitcher, Centerfield, Point Guard etc.) in New York City (in the Jets case New York City "area") is a LOT of pressure.

For the most part, Penny does a great job of that, and if healthy, is a great fit to lead the Jets. But can he get healthy after 2 major tears in his right arm? Ramsey, for all the tools he has, has never seen anything like the pressure here, and if he starts, not only does he have the pressure of getting his career on track, but dealing with the unique pressures of the media and fans here. I, for one, admit we can be a tough bunch.

That's why Leinert is a no-brainer. The guy is a winner, and has all the intangibles on the field needed to win championships. If Penny somehow makes a miraculous recovery and we choose him as our present and future, Matt Leinert will still have TREMENDOUS trade value. Because of this uncertainty though, you have to take Leinert if he falls to us. It's the SAFE and CORRECT move.

And for those who say he'd love the nightlife too much here, at least admit that you have no clue what life is like for these athletes. It's enough to blow most peoples minds I'm sure.

ALL veterans and high draft choices live indulgent lives, and that includes women, homes, cars, free meals at the priciest restaurants, and people kissing their asses all day long. Star athletes are on a pedestal....and what makes true stars become great is the ability to stay focused in practice and on the football field to fuel not only professional success but personal (social, financial (tv commercials, books, jersey sales etc.) success as well.

Don't judge the man by this article. Judge him for how he performs on Sundays and whether or not men will follow him win or lose.

#220 JetsGoFar, Apr 14, 2006