OFFICIAL MATT LEINART THREAD: Merge x1938

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dwalsh, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Yeh but many of the guys at the top should have limited off field issues, and usually they are kept quiet, there is not another top 5 pick who is under the radar on an issue such as this

2. kelly

kelly Banned

Leinart : to the JETS ? ? ?

from Pro Football Talk :

LEINART CAMP TRYING TO PERSUADE TITANS TO TAKE MATT

The same source who tipped us off over the weekend to the looming termination of agent Leigh Steinberg by USC quarterback Matt Leinart tells us that the driving force behind the change was the lack of interest that the Titans were demonstrating in the 2004 Heisman winner.The source says that Titans G.M. Floyd Reese is leaning toward Texas quarterback Vince Young, and Titans coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Norm Chow want Leinart.

The source also tells us that Chow recently informed Leinart that Reese won't trade up to the No. 1 overall spot in order to get Leinart.Co-agent Chuck Price, who will remain a member of Team Leinart in the wake of the Steinberg termination, supposedly has told Reese that the failure to land Leinart will be the biggest draft gaffe in team history.

Apparently, Reese is now on the fence.

Per the source, Leinart will sign with Tom Condon after the five-day waiting period expires following Leinart's termination, and Condon and Price will work together. Condon's pitch, as we recently heard, was that he'll get either the Titans or the :beer: Jets :beer: to trade up to No. 1 with the Houston Texans.

The long-term plan, we're told, is for Price to learn the ropes of the agent business over the next couple of years, with an eye toward being the lead agent for Leinart's second contract. (We suspect that Condon hasn't gotten that memo.)The broader question, as we see it, is whether these goings-on will raise a red flag for any team that otherwise will be interested in Leinart. There's already a question as to whether he has a sufficient passion for the pro game. And his pro day workout was hardly a show stopper.

So by trying to force his way into the No. 1 spot, the risk could be that Leinart slides even lower than he otherwise might have gone.

3. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

We better not trade up to the #1 pick unless it's for Bush. And we should just stay at 4 and take Leinart, Mario, or Brick, whichevers available. If the Titans take Young, which they hopefully will, we can land our franchise quarterback at #4. Trading up and giving up extra picks for him would be dumb since he might be there at 4 anyway, and if hes not we'll still get a very good player.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Yuck...he wants teams to trade up to #1 to get him? Why? This makes no sense to me. No way should we trade to #1 overall and select him over Bush, let alone moving up to #1 at all...

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

If we trade up to number 1 and don't take bush, I think I''ll start a mob outside the meadowlands. That could be one of the worst moves in the history of the draft.

#185 RobA, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  6. PennyandtheJets

Cool...have fun. I will be pissed off, but the only thing that will feel my wrath is maybe a few stuffed animals and a pillow.

7. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

8. PennyandtheJets

I really don't think this is anything to be worried about. His agent will push for this, but that doesn't mean anyone is going to actually do it.

9. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

We wont be trading up, thats for damn sure. We'll take whoever is there at 4.

10. nyj4ever

nyj4ever New Member

i agree...we need to stay at #4. Leinart is good, and would look/play great in the green and white....but giving up extra picks to only move 3 slots really isn't worth it.....we have so many needs to fill....

Just stay put and see which guy falls to us....any of them are good players and can make a huge impact on this team.

11. PennyandtheJets

Thanks for the info ahead of time Mike...

12. Houston Jet

Houston Jet New Member

I don't believe agents can actually manipulate teams like you say...especially the new Jets Regime

13. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I've been voicing concerns about this for months. I've always said he wants to play in NY a little too much for my liking. People bashed me, saying why I wouldn't want a guy that wants to play for us. I believe he doesn't care about playing for the Jets. He simply wants to play under the bright lights of the NY market. Like this article said, he was too concerned with the off the field money. He should be concerned with going as high as he can in the draft and taking the extra guaranteed money, but you never heard him say anything good about New Orleans or Tennessee. All he's been chirping about is how great it would be to play in NY.

He's too much of a pretty boy for me. He's always been surrounded by a superstar team, protected by a great offensive line, and has already lived the life of a celebrity. I don't think he's adjust well to a rebuilding team, with a mediocre offensive line. I feel he'd be too distracted with the endorsement deals and TV appearances to be an effective QB.

14. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Real tough guy! better watch out I think PETA has started considering stuffed animals as real! and those people are crazy! They would be after you!:lol: :lol: :lol:

#194 kbgreen, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  15. lebojets

lebojets New Member

Just stay put Bush, Ferguson,Leinart go 1,2,3, then Williams is ours.

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

ummm that is an incorrect usage of the word whom...you should use the nomitive pronoun who in that instance my friend...how now can i ever take your football opinion seriously again? yep its friday at work and im bored outta my mind....just busting your balls penny....as you were

17. MawaesDaMan

MawaesDaMan New Member

Just some agent posturing. There is no way a team is going to trade up to #1 to take him. I have seen a few expert's boards which dont even have him as the top QB, (actually rate Cutler higher). I will be very disappointed in the FO if we take Leinart at all, especially if we trade up for him. If the Titans pass on him, where Chou knows him better than anyone, that should tell all, and we should steer clear.

I would be ok with going to #1 for Bush, but I am sure we would have to give up a lot, which i dont like, and doesnt follow Bellichek/Parcells methods, which is all I can currently base Mangini's thought process on.

#197 MawaesDaMan, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2005
  18. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Give me a break. He fired Steinberg so he would be represented by not just Tom Condon, who knows how to get his clients quite a bit of money (see every player listed in that article), but also CAA. Now he has all of his interests in one place, which makes it a lot easier on his side, in effect, actually simplifying his life outside football. Oh, and I'm sure that agent really has no vested interest in Leinart falling, he just so happened to be that interested in what Matt does because he thought speaking out was the right thing to do. How much does anyone want to bet it's the agent of another top 10 guy hoping to jump a few spots in case Leinart falls?

19. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Yeah... I can't believe his agents are trying to get him taken at #1... that makes no sense at all...

[​IMG]

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

:up: LOL, Amazing how many people look at all the other explanations when the obvious is right there!!

Gee, No wonder he fired his agent then 2 days Later then new one is Hyping him up as a #1
    Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm