Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by ButtleMan, Mar 8, 2010.

1. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Holy shit u guys got far. I got it yesterday and I think I'm up to 7 hours of game-play (I played it all day today for like 5 hours).

I'm still in Chapter 3 walking on the frozen lake/sea. I'm not sure how I feel about the new features. I loved having complete control over everyone. It def had more strategy than this, but the paradigm feature isn't too bad. I am starting to notice how linear it really is and I'm not feeling that. I miss exploring huge landscapes.

2. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Chapter 11 makes up for the Linearity in a HUGE way.

You'll appreciate the Paradigm system more as you progress, currently most fights all you need at your point is any of the 3 medics and a ravager and a commando, later on you're actually going to need saboteur, synergist and sentinel..

I'm currently up to chapter 13.. Slowed down big time once I hit chapter 11 because there is so much to do. It stopped being a walk in the park around chapter 11 as well... Again, not wanting to give away spoilers, but I had just grown used to fighting things with around 300-400k being 'hard' mobs, and all of a sudden they throw a boss at you with 2.4m hp.

Also, the beginning of chapter 12 has one of the coolest cinematics in FF in a long time.

3. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Is this worth buying? How does it compare to FFX?

4. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

It's been worth my time. I've racked up close to 40 hours, barely doing any side quests (did a few here and there but wanted to get on with the story), and a little bit of levelling, and I still haven't completed the story yet. There are some tough, tough fights, and from what I hear, the last boss is one of the harder bosses in FF.

Also, the Chapter 12 opening cinematic is brilliant. Best one I have seen since FF8's intro.

5. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

**POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT QUESTIONS**

I'm assuming sooner than later I'm gonna be able to upgrade my weapons and accessories with the stuff I'm collecting along the way (fangs, tears, circuit chips, etc). By the way, are there ultimate weapons as well? Like in FFX, each character had their own respective weapons that had Limit breaks. Is this FF gonna have something like that? Thanks for the info.

6. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Yep, and part of the fun of the after game is levelling your ultimate weapons all the way up,you can upgrade them multiple times as well, to keep getting stronger versions. You'll be able to upgrade items soon enough. Also, don't hang on to Credit chips, theyre horrible to upgrade with, and they sell for tons of gil

7. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Finally beat the game a few hours ago. Fang is a beast commando at Stage 9 in her crystarium, better then lightning even. Was able to use Highwind (Requires 5 atb slots and drains chain gauge)for over 300,000 on a couple occasions and it was key for beating the last boss.

Ending was solid. Glad I bought it, time to get some trophies.

8. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Also, Should be noted that you unlock Stage 10 Crystarium after beating the final boss (meaning you actually have to go and level more to get the trophy for mastering the profession) 30,000 + cp required per stat , lol.

9. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

damn man where did you find the time lol. i havnt played since are last time i posted and was around 20 hours. havnt found time with work and everything. what sucks is i want to play tomorrow(or today since its 1am) but i preordered god of war 3 and i have to go pick that up and i know im going to want to play that really bad. i may be able to hold off though until i finish ffxiii but we will see what happens

10. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Unemployed at the moment.

Well, I'm employed, it's just that I work at CitiField, so naturally being the offseason I have assloads of time on my hands.

11. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

lynkx man idk how you beat the game so fast. im at the intermission and at like 34 hours. im also doing some farming and trying to get everything out of this game. but still

12. Mr Potato Fro

Mr Potato Fro New Member

Game looks great, but great graphics don't sell me on a game. I want content, a shit load of side quests and for ME to make the decision on where i want to go or what i want to do.

I loved in 7 where you could blow off your main quest for a bit to run to the golden (acorn?nugget?what the hell was that place called?) FF games are becoming too linear. I do not enjoy linear.

13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Whoever invented that Bahamut eidolon battle, needs to be shot. That was freaking torture!

Thankfully I figured out the trick is to use 2 medics and a saboteour. took 75 seconds to beat him that way.

14. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

It's pretty linear (although it bounces around areas of the plot alot) up to Chapter 11, and then you have that freedom.

15. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Wait till you get to Hecatoncheir's eidolon battle, that was redonkulous.

16. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Once I got skilled with the Paradigm system and started using Saboteur and Synergist correctly (Hope is the best if you want to use a SYN), the game got easier. The debuffs from the SAB and the buffs from SYN really make a massive difference in the later stages of the game.

17. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

I am getting my ass kicked by Odin.
    Do I chain first and heal later?
    Do I change the Paradigm so that both of them are Medics?

Great game so far though.