Official Cut Braxton Berrios thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Dec 4, 2022.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Berrios is very disappointing

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

23.6 would put him ranked #8 in KR for those with 5 or more returns, nowhere near bottom of the league and his PR average of 12.4 puts him at #4 for those with 5 or more returns

BradysTornACL and bicketybam like this.
  3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I know it's traditional for us to devour our young every time we lose a game, but this is ridiculous.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

we know he hates facts. That’s why I didn’t bother providing them and bowed out of the convo.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Agreed. The guy has had one miscue really. Granted it was a huge one and one he should have made despite it being a tough catch, but it's not a cuttable offense. He's been a solid, reliable returner and is a decent player on offense. I'd like to see Moore get some of Berrios' plays but I he's a valuable player IMO.

Now come the offseason with a crowded WR room, does he survive at his salary is another question

Section 336 likes this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I watched a documentary called 'Love and Terror on the Howling Plains of Nowhere' last night. Highly, highly, recommend. A genius college Math professor who led a quiet, unassuming life was found dead three months after his disappearance bound with electrical cord and burned beyond recognition. Location? Chadron, NE. I went, "Holy Shit, that's where Danny Woodhead went to college." The things I have stored in my head. o_O

Pepsiguy5 and abyzmul like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He still makes too much money to be a non-factor on offense and merely a returner. In the era where most kickoffs are touchbacks, it’s useless to pay anyone more than a rookie contract unless they are absolutely killing it OR contributing in some fashion on offense.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I always wondered why threads need to be official. I don't know, maybe change it up a little. I vote for 'Kick Him in His Ass: Insert Name Here'. Ha, probably because I always say that about a player who should get kicked in his ass. I lost count how many times I said kick Jamal Adams in his ass. Forget Joe Douglas. That was all me.

Anyway, I don't think Berrios should get kicked in his ass . . . yet. He has done some good things for the Jets, sure, but now that he flunked in a big spot, this is just as much on Mike LeFleur because even Bucky Dent was better than Bucky Dent when he needed to be.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

#169 Ralebird, Dec 10, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    BradysTornACL likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

11. Ralebird

I didn't find anything current. Do you think the drop percentage has changed much in five years?

12. BrowningNagle

I don’t know but I think the guys on your list getting 10-15 targets downfield a game are/were no comparison to Berrios and his 1 or 2 short dump offs to the sideline a game

13. Ralebird

Berrios is not responsible for the number of targets he gets. He is responsible for dropping less than four percent of them.

14. BrowningNagle

Not true, he would get more targets if he was open. That’s part of his job

Jets69 likes this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I like Berrios but he has basically been invisible this year. He has had a couple of nice gadget plays where he scored, but there's something going on there. I thought he suffered an unreported concussion at the end of the Dolphins game but that didn't explain his inactivity earlier in the season.

It would make more sense if his stats dropped off after Saleh announced Moore to the slot.

K'OB likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Hmmm, targets are determined by 1 - the play called, 2 - the ability of the receiver to get open, 3 - the ability of the QB to recognize the player is open and 4 - the ability of the quarterback to deliver the ball to him. So, the OC is responsible for one quarter, the receiver for one quarter and the QB for 2 quarters of the equation. For seven games this season Berrios, a short receiver, was charged with getting targeted by a short quarterback - not a recipe for success with a mob of larger players in between.

Do you deny that when targeted less than four percent drops is a fine showing in that category?

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Another thing that I assume determines targets is the # of options available to our fine quarterbacks.

And this season as they scan the field they are presented with a myriad of comparatively fine choices vs. 2 years ago. Back then it was Berrios or brick hands Tomlinson or the guy that was on the roster because he went to college with Darnold (?!!!) Now we're blessed with the likes of Corey Davis, Moore, actual NFL level TE's and a legit rising star in GWilson.

To some extent it seems like sheer common sense that his # of targets and catches should have nose dived this year. And in addition to being a good thing, that isn't really through any fault of his.

Section 336 likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We added Garrett Wilson, plus Moore and Davis were healthy before Moore’s little outburst. The role Berrios had through the first half of the season is the one he should have on a competent NFL offense. His value is special teams and gadget plays while being able to step in and play a few snaps in the slot.

19. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Fine commentary on a professional who plays with heart and has provided the Jets with much more than taking a paycheck for putting on a jersey.

Love me a big bowl of Berrios!

20. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

he doesn't need to be released bc of this. he should simply not be on the field in that situation, it's not his game. that was more of a playcalling/package issue than an issue with him. he's good at what he does. special teams, gadget plays. he should in no world be on the field in that situation let alone getting a target in the end zone, especially running that kind of route in the middle of the field.

how much money did we spend on big bodied tight ends this offseason? why werent one of them in that position on the field? to have a 5'8 slot gadget WR running over the middle of the field in that situation was insanely confusing to me. and i haven't been on the MLF hate train like some this year. but that one was bad no question.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.