Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not sure why everyone brings up Tannehill as if that's what we should be shooting for. He holds that team back. If Darnold's ceiling is Ryan Tannehill then we really do need to draft a new QB

cval and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Tannehill definitely improved on the Titans but he was also much better as a Dolphin than Sam has been here sadly

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If Darnold's ceiling is the 6,561 yards, 55 TD, 13 INT and 67% completion percentage that Tannehill has put up in Tennessee then I would love absolutely nothing more than to have Sam stick around and take us to the playoffs twice.

Tannehill also received some semblance of coaching. Sam needed it and never got it.

4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Tannehill under Gase was much better than Sam under Gase

I’m not even a Sam hater and still feel like he could be good, but it’s a gamble just like the rookie QBs

FJF and REVISion like this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sam would have to miraculously improve to even be as good as Tannehill currently is. So we'd have to hope for that along with obtaining the best RB in the league. And even if all those things happened we'd have a first round exit from the playoffs to look forward to.

6. BrowningNagle

Over 3 seasons... I think its important to clarify that. Darnold will throw 13 INTS in 10 games let alone 3 seasons

I guess we'll always disagree. I want more than an average QB that everyone knows isn't good enough to win a SB. We had that in Sanchez and Pennington. That's Tannehill.

Darnold is more Geno Smith than Tannehill right now. "Average" would be a big step up

PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

Like I said, I think we have to move on from Sam. I’m just saying it makes more than enough sense if there are people in the actual NFL that think Sam can still be a player considering the right talent he had coming out of school and the absolute lack of any sort of coaching he’s had throughout his first three years.

you’re going to tell me you wouldn’t take a first round exit right now? My god that’s what I dream of these days.

FJF likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

Not over three seasons. Over less than two. He's only played 28 games with the Titans. And again I feel like a broken record but I'm not implying we should keep Sam.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To begin with, we have no idea who JD is really impressed with or high on. We only have media speculation.

It makes plenty of sense if JD was very impressed by Daboll's interview, and he is JD's top choice at this point. Daboll and Douglas could have hit it off and made a real connection in the 1st interview, or maybe Daboll was Douglas' choice from the very beginning.

IMO Joe Brady shouldn't even be a consideration. I think it's absolutely nuts that he's even being considered for HC jobs. That's what makes no sense. The kid has only been an OC for two years, and one of those was in college and he has only been coaching for 7 years, and only 3 of those have been in the NFL. A collegiate HC job I maybe could see, but not in the NFL.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Nevermind old news
    Joe Brady seems like a choice in ATL

Here is Eagles odds

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm tired of half measures with this team. I want to finally support a long term, consistent contender. The only way to do that is to have a very good QB.

NCJetsfan, Borat and bicketybam like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Exactly! The team could be further ahead if Darnold could be quickly flipped/fixed and JD able to trade down for a bundle of picks, but that simply isn't reality. If Darnold can be fixed at all, more than likely he is not only going to have to work his ass off this offseason changing his footwork and mechanics, repeating mantras of not throwing into double and triple coverages, studying film until he can read Ds, and visualizing himself being successful, accurate, and making good decisions. Even then, he will probably have to sit for a good portion, if not all of the upcoming season while he continues to work on fixing his flaws. That would totally defeat the purpose of bringing him back because in all likelihood, they wouldn't know until the very end of the season or next year if the changes had "taken" and Darnold was fixed. He may even need a change of scenery to chase the ghosts and bad experiences here from his psyche. That's all dependent upon his mental mindset and ability to learn all that he needs to learn. I'm not convinced that he has the right mental mindset.

REVISion and Borat like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

Of course that's not my longterm goal but do you think the Titans are just crumbling and will never improve? My point was they are two years into this process and they've made the playoffs twice. You would sign up for that in a heartbeat for the first two years of a revamp.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

First, I didn't say that I was offended, and I'm not. I didn't take it personally. I'm not looking to get into an argument with you. I just wanted to point out your use of something that is used as derogatory or condescending comment.

Second, an adjective is NOT "just" an adjective. Words carry weight and they have accepted usages and understandings. Some are clearly disparaging. "Uber emotional" is another way of saying that someone is irrational and doesn't think clearly or rationally. It is used in a condescending manner. It is definitely a disparaging adjective or descriptor. I've heard it used a gazillion times with men describing women. No one would say that "Uber emotional" is a positive or complimentary phrase or even a neutral one.

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Going from one of biggest jokes in league, to a team capable of beating anyone in playoffs even in their house? All in 2 yrs?
    Yes sign me up!

ColoradoContrails, PJ4Ever and K'OB like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

I do, yeah. Its only a matter of time before Henry breaks down and they are gonna lose Corey Davis in the offseason. They will be worse next season and far worse in 2 or 3 years.

they also got Tannehill sucking up nearly $30 Million in their cap next year and $34M the following year.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

Bingo. Anyone who wouldn't sign up for the Titans exact situation right now is lying to themselves.

That's one opinion, sure. I'm not claiming they are gonna win a title but I definitely don't think they are gonna crumble.

K'OB likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

It's not entirely accurate to say that Sam has had a lack of any sort of coaching throughout his first three years. He has worked with Jordan Palmer all three years. He shouldn't have ANY footwork or mechanics issues at this point. He should know when to throw the ball away and to not throw into double and triple coverage. Sam has no one but himself to blame for that. I would be very surprised if Palmer hasn't worked with him on reading Ds, in addition

I get that Gase's offense is complex and that Sam wasn't a good fit. Just because he was struggling with seeing the field and making the reads Gase wanted, doesn't mean that his footwork and mechanics should have gone to hell or that he shouldn't have known to throw the ball away or not force the ball into double and triple coverage. I can even understand throwing some picks because he read the D wrong or didn't see a defender baiting him, but not being the mess that he's been.

#1698 NCJetsfan, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    REVISion likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Yes, I am. That's low bar, and I wouldn't take it.

REVISion likes this.
  20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The issue with their situation is that they are relying on a running back for their success. That's a recipe for disaster. Tannehill is not a world beater and he thrives because they have the best running back in the world. When Henry starts to decline, they better have a plan in place to replace him. Without Henry that team does not perform the way they have.

Tannehill sucked it up against Baltimore and they scored 3 points outside of the first quarter. Henry ran for 40 yards and they lost.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.