Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm up in the air on Harbaugh at times. But college is honestly more about recruiting when you're talking about the top 10-15 teams in the nation. He stabilized Michigan into a good program. He just can't find an NFL QB or RB to carry the team over the recruiting machine that is Ohio State.

He's a good CEO of football. My issue with him coming here is that he's sort of hopped around to better opportunities every 3-4 years. Obviously Michigan was supposed to maybe be one of the last stops for 20+ years but I imagine a divorce is coming.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, I just don't think he'd have the patience to come here and deal with trying to fix this absolute shit show. Maybe, MAYBE if he and Douglas were of the same mindset and understanding, but I think that's not likely. But he certainly knows football, and the plain fact is that ANYONE would be an improvement over what we've had. I just think if he's fired - which I agree is likely - he's not going to want to take on a multi-year project, he's going to want to go somewhere were he can quickly prove that Michigan was wrong about him. Maybe Dallas?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Experienced head coaches don't really have any better track record than first time coaches. Most of the time, they just bring all the bad habits that got them fired from their first team. There are exceptions: Belichick of course, Andy Reid, Bruce Ariens, Pete Carroll and Tom Coughlin. But there's also George Seifert, Mike Ditka, Jimmy Johnson, and Mike Shanahan, and right now, Mike McCarthy and Ron Rivera. Also, look at the top teams in the NFL right now: Sean Payton has been a winning coach ever since he began, and the Saints were his first gig. Same deal with Kyle Shanahan, Sean Mcvay, Mike Vrabel, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Kliff Kingsbury, Matt LaFleur...the point is, there is next to no correlation between prior HC experience and future success.

I think that Josh McDaniels could be good, but the fact that he has repeatedly turned down multiple offers to go elsewhere tells me that he's probably been promised the HC job in New England after Belichick retires. Other than that...Garrett?? He'd bring the same overly-conservative, timid offense that we've dealt with under every single head coach since Herm Edwards! Garrett couldn't manage more than mediocrity in most seasons despite a massive amount of talent on the Cowboys, and playing in the weakest division in the league.

Right now, if we pick a guy with prior HC experience, I'd go to the college ranks.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally on board with this

5. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Liking Joe Brady as a dark horse

Rockinz likes this.
  6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

It doesn't matter. The Jets do not understand how to put together a front office.
    They run it top down like it was a staples superstore without allowing people to make decisions and micro managing everything especially the money. The OC, HC, DC no one can be successful until this mindset changes.

Coaches have passed on the job because of this "unorthodox" way of running things. They're a joke

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that we're going to be completely underwhelmed by whoever the the next coach is. I have a feeling that it's going to be someone like Jason Garrett or Doug Marrone because they'll be the only coaches to accept a job.

Royal Tee likes this.
  8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It's gonna be a Ravens coordinator and another 3 years down the drain.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

I hear you. But I think for a guy like him there is some allure to picking your own quarterback with the #1 pick (assuming we hang on to it), and having a ton of cap space.

I think the idea that he'd demand full control is a little bit overblown. He made a power play in San Francisco because he had a fucking airhead in Trent Baalke that took over after he got there and immediately nosedived the team after he left for half a decade.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

George Paton (Vikings) and Eric DeCosta (Ravens) wouldn't even take the damn phone call in 2013 because of the keep Rex/trade Revis mandates.

Not say either were leaving their situation but to not even think about it? It's a disgrace. We had a guy whose never been a GM demand a SIX year deal to come here.

Royal Tee likes this.
  11. Harbaugh would be the ideal personality & leader. Also Think he has a good eye for NFL talent & how to utilize it.projecting HS to the big 10 is a whole different ball game than big 10 to the NFL.Hes proven to he much better w NFL projections w whats gone on at that other School in Michigan.His style of play would mesh well w Douglas.

That said, I do worry that the NFL’s formula for winning is alot different than it was in 2012. He cant come here & expect to succeed drafting nothing but D & OL like everyone else has done

12. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean that was basically the 49ers formula to get to the SB last year with a base that was comprised of primarily first round DL. Only as of the past two years they've been loading up at the skill positions.

But their drafts under Harbaugh were fairly balanced. Good lord too - look at how many picks they had when he was there. I never realized it.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m liking this more and more. Joe Brady has an inventive offence and QB friendly

14. Yeah,coming from college he understands how downfield oriented the game has become.I really feel like he’d be the guy & think he’d like working w JD & dare i say Trevor Lawrence.

He’s interviewed for Jets HC before why wouldnt he a second time? The one thing you worry about is their has long been a rumor that he will not coach in the same conference as his brother.

Royal Tee and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

I never heard that one. Could be true though.

But I think @ColoradoContrails made a good point. Houston might honestly be a more attractive spot despite the lack of capital (smaller market, QB is in place). Same thing with Atlanta and Detroit although Ryan is aging.

I hope he'd want to come here and take Lawrence or Fields. His choice + all the cap space and capital.

Royal Tee likes this.
  16. He seems like he maybe that rare breed that prefers a bigger market. Niners & U of M are both massive entities.

Hard to see him being accepted in Detroit if he gets run out of Ann Arbor. Think it’d be between Jets,Atlanta & maybe Houston if its organizational power he seeks.

Royal Tee likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Good call. On Detroit/Ann Arbor. Duh lol.

18. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Harbaugh is not a NFL player type of coach IMO. He had some issues with the 49ers, players didn’t like playing for him.

Royal Tee likes this.
  19. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Going back to 2018 when we hired Gase, I had wanted Matt Campbell. And rumors were that the Jets wanted him but he turned down an interview request. He would probably be my top choice this time again.

My 2nd would be Joe Brady — simply because of the Sean McVay effect.. e.g. if he is good again next year, we won't have the chance to hire him because he will already be a HC.

20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I don't want the Jets to hire someone just because they are the next great offensive mind out there. First, we've seen what happens when the Johnsons hire someone that they deem to be a savant of offensive football. So, Bienemy, Roman, and all of the other hotshot OCs who are out there, I don't want them if the metric is primarily their offensive acumen.

What I do want is for the Johnsons to stay the heck out of the way and let Joe Douglas hire the coach. He needs to find someone who is a true leader. Someone who people pay attention to the moment they walk in the room. Someone who can clear out the stench of the "same old Jets" culture. Not someone who has to be persuaded to come here. If THAT person is Bienemy, Roman, or any of the other hotshot OCs out there, then get them here yesterday. We need someone who is going to, along with Trevor Lawrence, laugh in the face of the "same old Jets" culture and bury it once and for all. If we can't do it this offseason, with a #1 overall pick and a generational QB prospect coming out in the draft (and he WILL be there in the draft, he's not going to ruin his pro career like Matt Leinart did by going back), then there is absolutely no hope for the future of this franchise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.