Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think Lewis could take this team all the way, but many other won't agree, and I understand why. Even if I didn't think he could, I would still support his hiring because this franchise needs to be fixed in some fundamental ways before it will be able to legitimately compete for a championship.

I say we need to give him a long term, guaranteed contract so he can come in and make the changes he needs to make without looking over his shoulder or trying to make short-term fixes. If the Jets are doing so amazing their coordinators are getting HC options left and right, that sounds pretty damn good to me, and a hell of a lot more success than I've seen in the last 25 years of watching this team. It also means it won't be hard to attract the next hotshot young coordinators. Besides, if we're doing that well, he will be looking to retire with his rings and waiting for his HOF jacket before the contract is up, so I don't think that will be a big problem.

Noam, SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Smith is my second favorite for HC now that Campbell doesn't appear to be in the picture. He is the only other candidate who has coached on both sides of the ball, which imo should definitely help him in being the CEO and overseeing the whole team. I hope the Jets hire one of those two. Smith is 41 and Daboll 45, so they are close in age, and both could be here a long time with Douglas and give the Jets some real stability.

SOJAZ and Red Menace like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

To be fair... Just because you can't see It, doesn't mean he doesn't deserve credit for what he offers that team.

At the end of the day. There is a reason why Andy Reid Is going out on a limb for this guy. There is a reason why Mahommes Is going out on a limb for this guy. There is a reason why Watson Is pissed that Houston hasn't even interviewed this guy.

You don't see that same level of praise from top tier professionals of their class with all these other candidates.

That speaks volumes to me.

Then you factor In the fact that he is on a team that is so strong, he's won a superbowl with the team, and you can't say he doesn't get the credit for Mahommes either. Mahommes didn't light up the world until EB became OC.

You can point to Andy Reid all day long but none of us truly know just how much EB had to do with Mahommes development. It sounds like he had a significant amount to do with It based in Mahommes comments In some of these Interviews.

I don't think he deserves the lazy treatment In that people just want to point the finger at Andy Reid, all the while using that as their overall argument against EB.

Doesn't make sense to me. Idk.

sozopol likes this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I've never seen a rookie QB win on a veteran contract, so I have to agree.

Just giving you a hard time.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

With regards to the bold, I totally agree! He could have done a lot and played a big part in KC's success, but none of us knows that. Sorry, but after our experience listening to Peyton Manning and hiring Gase, I'm not about to hire our next HC based on someone's recommendation, even if it is Reid and Mahomes. That would probably cause me to interview him, but doesn't mean I'd hire him. If JD knows exactly what Bieniemy has done and hasn't done and chooses to hire him, fine.. I'm just stating my opinion based upon what I can see/know. Of course JD knows more than I do, and I still trust him to hire the best candidate, so regardless of who he hires, I will hope for the best.

Brook! and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

That's OK, I probably deserve it! LOL

Brook! likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That's not the same though. Gase literally had a history of failure. The writing was clearly on the wall with that hire. I called that out from the very start. It's just not the same situation at all.

Especially In terms of the recommendation as well. Peyton Is probably the smartest QB to ever play the game, at least, one of the greatest. If he was giving QB recommendations, I would listen all day long. He's not a coach though, he could be, but, he's not. To take a future HOF players word for a coaching hire Is beyond moronic.

Taking Mahommes recommendation alone would be moronic to me as well. You have one of the absolute best coaches to ever do It, going out on a limb saying that EB "WILL" be a great HC In this league one day. Not could be, but, will....

That means waaaaaay more to me than your example.

You and I are definitely on the same page with your last bit.

Regardless of WHO, the trust is there with JD, and I too, will hope for the best.

I hope we get It right this time man. I really do.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The front office was very busy today wow! 3 candidates in one day. They are definitely doing their homework and not wasting any time. I like that!

Marvin Lewis is an interesting situation because he’s been away from football for a bit. He could come back with some juice or could be flat like 2 day old soda.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Take for FWIW...he’s not blue checked and supposedly has had off takes regarding baseball but still...

10. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Brandon Staley is really rising up my list very fast.

11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Jets interviewed Aaron Glenn...never heard of him as a head coaching candidate until now, unless we’re doing him a solid as a former player

He’s the Saints DB coach

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Didn't have a great showing yesterday but he was also playing against one of the best defensive minds in football. There are so many good candidates available that I'm actually pretty excited to see how we fuck it up.

13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

That Rams D looked very well coached against the Seahawks, even when Donald was out. Less impressive against the Jets of course.

SOJAZ and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  14. JohnnyP123456

Yes they definitely did. Will be interesting to see him vs the packers this weekend.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  15. JohnnyP123456

More about this. I didn't realize that he was a college QB and leveraged his offensive knowledge for his defensive coordinator calls. That is extremely innovative for me.

Don't know if this was linked earlier either.

MoWilkBeast and NYJFOREVER like this.
  16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Daboll’s overall offensive rankings as an OC are as follows:

2009 (CLE) - 32
    2010 (CLE) - 29
    2011 (MIA) - 22
    2012 (KC) - 24
    2018 (BUF) - 30
    2019 (BUF) - 24
    2020 (BUF) - 2

No thanks on Daboll but I would prefer him to Bieniemy.

hobgoblin and cmcm750203 like this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Most likely doing homework as a potential DC.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Doesn't it say something about Bieniemy that he's been interviewing for years and no one has hired him? Are the Jets going to do this thing again where they act like they're smarter than everyone else?

NFL GM's do dumb things all the time but as a collective unit they're pretty sharp.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

Bieniemy's history would be a non-starter for me anyway tbh. I'm all for second chances but the HC is the face of your organization. That's on top of the fact that nobody seems to have any idea what he actually does for the offense, and he's working under one of the best coaches of all time.

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Oh no! Doug Pederson fired! Our worst nightmares could be coming true! :(:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.