Official BS CALL!!! Thread - Merged

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by Dinobot 2, Oct 29, 2006.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

hahahahaha.....this had me rolling:lol: :lol: you should just beat the kids ass anyway. hahaha:rofl2:

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought staff..until yesterday.

What exactly made that a judgement call..what if this happened in the middle of the end zone..and a db picked up Baker and carried him out of the end zone.

Lets say all the refs get together and amazingly claim that they have no idea for sure..that he would have ended up in the end zone..because his feet never did come down.

Where do you draw the line? 2 yards from the end zone? 5 yards? When does a judgement call not become a judgement call.

3. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

It was a judgment call because of how close it was to the sidelines, and because it's a matter of "what if" rather than a misinterpretation or misexecution of the NFL rulebook. What you're talking about is a whole new situation.

4. jaywayne12

I know what you are saying..but thats my point..when does it become a judgement call.

Heres the bottom line..not in the last two minutes of games..not on final plays...but the NFL has to get games right..there are only 16 games. They have to take this absurd "judgement call" rule and at least get the last quarter right.

As far as misinterpretations...or misexecutions..come on. We have never seen a play not overruled even though, clearly, we see that the call was wrong.

The review has never been 100% accurate..which it would have to be if it was just misexecution..judgement does come in to reviews too.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

[​IMG]

the really frustrating part is that we all know had the roles been reversed they would ahve called it a TD. That one ref came running over to make the proper call but he was apparently talkd out of it by the other ref who had the worse angle.

6. jaywayne12

And today comes the total insult..today we have to here the league defend a policy that has no defense.

Today we will here how nobody for sure knows where Baker would have come down..and even if reviewed the same call would have been made.

Today the head honchos of the NFL will gather the wagons and come up with some classic lines.

Its like when your little kid gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Everything from make believe friends who "told him to do it" to "the sky was falling and I wanted one last meal".

Today the league will tell us to bend over one more time..for good luck.

7. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

What kills me is how meny times in the past that same call has went against the jets .. fukin home town refs.

8. JetPulse

JetPulse New Member

Goes to show that the replay system still doesn't keep the games from being decided by people with bad positions for very fast actions.
    In the Oregon/Oklahoma game the officials got suspended for a game.
    A poor resolution for the effects of bad calls.
    The problem is that the last word is still on the field for many things.
    The discussion regarding the force out should have included the replay booth.
    The replay booth should be able to review any call.
    It wouldn't slow down the game because even guys in the booth would feel the pressure to "continue the game".
    Need a change to the replay system.
    The tie in with time outs is bad because it places unfair pressure at the worst time. The coach's request should be allowed or disallowed on the field immediately with quick request for possible problems to the booth and officials on the field. -ie. the official sees the coach's challenge, requests close call yay/nay from the booth, and holds up hand. Looks to see if any other official is holding up their hand and listens for the booth yay/nay. The booth can only use gametime video for the decision. And, if no other official is holding up their hand the game continues. As long as the hand is up the clock stops.

The NFL can do better.

9. ChrisPokorny

ChrisPokorny New Member

Hey guys, I'm a Browns fan here. I'll take the call, but in my opinion, the Jets were definitely screwed. I run a Browns blog here: http://www.dawgsbynature.com/ and posted four still shots from the game of why the Jets got screwed, including the one people aren't mentioning too much: Pennington was hit in the helmet twice on the play by Browns defenders, which could've warranted a 15-yard penalty.

10. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

All that does is give Jets fans more crap to whine about.

Personally, I would have hated it if the pass was actually incomplete, i.e. via a drop by Baker, and the penalty(s) were called on the Browns because just like Barton vs SD in the playoffs, if the unnecessary roughness action does not effect the outcome of the play, it should not be called late in a game.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The first time would have been a ridiculous call (when Chad ducked and the guy's foot touched his helmet as he went by), but the second one certainly has been called in the past. Clearly they didn't affect the play at all, as you said.

The first picture on that blog is even more damning for the official than others I've seen. Unless gravity has suddenly stopped working, it is blindingly obvious that Baker would have HAD to land inbounds - he's not even 6 inches off the ground at that point, and he's at least a yard from the sideline.

12. nyjunc

I don't think they'd ever call a penalty or a hit like that on the QB on th final play- oh wait they would...

[​IMG]

...as long as it's AGAINST the Jets.

13. Gator

Gator Active Member

That ref (# 82) should be fired, just like those guys in college. He clearly has no angle to make that particular call. If another ref who has the angle comes running in and says forceout, #82 HAS to defer to the other guy. Why wouldn't he if he has no angle? Does he WANT to look like a jerk, or are there other factors involved? Maybe it was very important to him that the Browns cover. Well, they covered, now fire this guy as a message to other officials who don't defer when they don't have the call. The cameras don't lie.

What's frustrating is HOW far inbounds he would have landed. I mean, it wasn't even close to the sidelines by NFL standards. An inch is close. This was 1-2 feet. What a joke.

We once did get the call of a lifetime that instituted instant replay (along with the Buffalo/New England game the same year), which was the Vinny sneak against Seattle where he never got in. This time it went against us.

14. nyjunc

The TWO plays before that Vinny sneak Keyshahwn caught a ball in bounds and was pushed out, at least 1 of thm he would ahve been able to come down in bounds so the Vinyn call was justice for the pevious missed call and while we did get away w/ one w/ the Vinny sneak we have a million more that went against us costing us in big games and sometimes playoff spots.

15. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Chris,

Thanks for the post! Very objective of you actually!

Like nornal the NFL will just gather the wagons on this one and we will just have to deal with it.

The only problem I have with the hits on Chad is that we got hosed a few weeks ago (Jags) with two ruffing the passer penalties that were clean hits. The hits on Chad were by definition penalties but I feel the rule is way to strict.

#215 kbgreen, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  16. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Just one asisde...kinda. For everyone who said that the Jets didn't deserve to win the game...why did the Browns deserve to win? They weren't all that great. They stopped playing in the fourth quarter, and let the Jets back in it. Thats why I hate the "well we didn't deserve to win" copout. Neither did the Browns. the play to Baker should've determined who won. Not whether or not someone feels that we "deserved" to.

17. nyjunc

I hate that too, the bottom line is if the proper calls are made we are 20-20 in OT and riding a wave of momentum giving us an excellent shot to win.

18. boomer

boomer Active Member

If that was Richard Seymore on Chad Pennington, no flag would be thrown.

19. nyjunc

The Browns fan showed Chad getting hit in the head on that final play w/ no call:

[​IMG]

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It looks like Wimberly's forearm is slamming into Chad's head. Where the hell was that no flag when Gasteneau blasted Kosar's pathetic ass to the ground 20 years ago?

The bottom line is there is no punishment for the official that makes a bad call. Why should they ever worry about making a bad call? There is no recourse if they screw up. What do they have to fear? The thing that really gets me fuming is that the ref with the best vantage point ruled him being pushed out and some 70 year old big eared bastard overruled him.