Official 2013-2014 College Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by MParty7441, Oct 25, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

anything anti-UNC is the truth, anything pro-UNC is a puff piece. got it.

2. nyjunc

read through those older entries. you'll learn something about this situation.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Stop. It's a BLOG. By a UNC employee. That's like Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf, Iraq's deposed Minister for Information defending Sadaam Hussein back in the day. It's beneath us.

You're calling for EVIDENCE of the truth. I almost posted an ESPN article the other day that was highly critical of UNC and Williams but thought better of it and decided not to. Because it's beneath us. And it doesn't do anything to further this silly narrative.

We get it, you think UNC is lily-white in this debacle. Congrats, UNC is totally in the clear. Still not sure how such a prestigious univeristy could give straight A's and Dean's List to a delusional nutjob clown.

_

4. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

NCAA reopens investigations on UNC

5. nyjunc

nothing unexpected, we will learn a lot from the Wainstein investigation.

6. nyjunc

Not trying to deflect, the truth will come out in the Heels case and hopefully it is a positive outcome but I saw some interesting info last night:

http://fortyquestions.blogspot.com/2007/03/that-curious-balance-today-i-note-that.html

7. JStokes

That's a blog from 2007.

_

8. nyjunc

I know, it got swept under the carpet like the sociology stuff, the Maggette stuff, the Lance Thomas stuff, etc...

9. JStokes

It's irrelevant to the current discussion. Every program has it's shady side, bringing up what Duke or SU or UNLV did 5-10-20 years ago is just deflection.

I am sympathetic that you hate Duke-I have no love for them, but digging up a 7 year old blog--not even an article--doesn't advance the discussion. Let the investigation play out and hope for the best.

You can bet the investigation isn't going to mention what Duke did years ago.

_

10. nyjunc

again, the investigation that is ongoing will bring us the truth but I find that info relevant.

11. JStokes

Not busting balls or anything (this time :D) but how is what Duke may have done last month, last year, last decade, relevant to whether UNC had paperless classes or had tutors writing papers for its student athletes. Other than a visceral disregard for a major rival.

That be like me during an investigation of Mike Goodson saying "hey look over there at Aaron Hernandez!"

_

12. nyjunc

it has nothing to do w/ it other than they swept all that stuff(and more)under the rug and are nonstop attacking Carolina. if PJ Hairston did what he did at duke no way he gets suspended for the year and PJ easily could have been the missing piece to a Nat'l title team.

13. JStokes

Irrelevant unless Wainstein comes out and says "We've determined after a long and thorough investigation that all of the accusations against UNC are true, however we've also determined that Duke has done some equally reprehensible things in the past that have gone unpunished, therefore we've concluded that no sanctions need be levied against UNC at this time. In other words, two wrongs do make a right. Go Tar Heels."

_

14. JStokes

Interesting that she hasn't also sued Duke because of all the bad stuff they've gotten away with over the years.

http://abc11.com/education/former-unc-advisor-files-suit-against-university/149570/

Former UNC advisor Mary Willingham files lawsuit against university after NCAA reopens investigation

[​IMG]

Mary Willingham claims she was discriminated and retaliated against for being a whistleblower, and is seeking damages.

Tuesday, July 01, 2014
    CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Former University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill advisor Mary Willingham, the whistleblower who claimed some student athletes were functionally illiterate, has filed a civil suit against the school, ABC11 learned Tuesday.

According to court documents, Willingham claims she was discriminated and retaliated against for being a whistleblower, and is seeking damages.

Click here to view the documents (.pdf)

Willingham claims UNC failed to address her concerns, and she was demoted and reassigned, according to the lawsuit.

Willingham's attorney says she's endured a lot -- all because she tried to speak out and stand up for what she felt was right.

"I believe in Mary Willingham," said Heydt Philbeck, Willingham's attorney. "She has been through a lot. All for standing up for what's right. With this lawsuit we seek to right the wrongs."

"She stood up for was right. The people in power didn't like that and they decided to treat her differently," Philbeck added.

"The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is aware of the lawsuit filed by former employee Mary Willingham. We respect the right of any current or former employee to speak out on important University and national issues. We believe the facts will demonstrate that Ms. Willingham was treated fairly and appropriately while she was employed at Carolina," UNC Vice Chancellor of Communications and Public Affairs Joel Curran said in a statement Tuesday.

News of the lawsuit comes just a day after UNC announced that the NCAA has given it notice it will reopen its 2011 investigation of academic irregularities at the school involving student athletes.

The university has said it was told that the "NCAA has determined that additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might now be willing to speak with the enforcement staff." UNC declined further comment.

In a statement issued to ABC11 Monday, Willingham said: "The NCAA will need some serious help from our historians at UNC (so many years have passed). The NCAA cartel has lost credibility as a regulatory body. Meting out punishment should not be the purpose of any inquiry at this point. Instead, they should focus on how to use the UNC example to reform the entire system."

UNC's problems first began in 2010 when it announced it was looking into allegations of plagiarism, tutors who violated rules, faculty who failed to provide oversight, alleged unethical conduct by an assistant coach, and allegations that players got perks from professional sports agents.

The NCAA said the school was "responsible for multiple violations, including academic fraud, impermissible agent benefits, ineligible participation, and a failure to monitor its football program."

Penalties imposed by the association included a one-year postseason ban, a reduction of 15 football scholarships, vacation of records, and three years' probation.

Despite previous internal investigations, UNC has now requested Ken Wainstein, a former federal prosecutor, to do a new independent investigation of the scandal. UNC said Monday he has been instructed to "share relevant information directly and confidentially with the NCAA."

Wainstein told the UNC Board of Governors at a meeting earlier this month that his team has interviewed 80 potential witnesses and reviewed 1.5 million emails and other electronic documents. It has also gone through thousands of student records and transcripts.

Wainstein, a partner with the Washington, D.C., law firm of Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft, did not give specifics or any factual findings - saying he would present a full written report this fall that will be made public.

However, he did say he's looking at if the athletics department was involved and if it steered student athletes into the classes.

UNC said Monday it has put numerous academic reforms into place based on findings from earlier reports that can be found at http://carolinacommitment.unc.edu/ and it remains "committed to learning from our past so that we can move forward to building a stronger University."

Report a Typo
    Map My News
    _

15. nyjunc

she has been debunked but you have chosen to ignore that part of it.

16. JStokes

I'm not ignoring anything. I don't know anything about the woman. I just put up a current article that she's suing UNC.

By the way, being "debunked" by UNC sympathizers is simply ignoring that there may be issues out there.

Maybe there's a good UNC fan blog out there that you can post that can recount how debunked she is. She's probably a slut too.

_

17. nyjunc

way to deflect, it's clear you are giddy w/ the possibility that UNC may have done something wrong. stop being a phony.

18. JStokes

Not giddy about UNC per se, watching YOU deflect is what's fun. If you weren't so obstinate in your defense of the school that has obviously done something wrong, it wouldn't be as much fun.

I actually like UNC basketball and am looking forward to building a rivalry. As much as I hated Georgetown, I never wished ill of them. I HATED Penn State football but was incredibly sympathetic to the institution with that whole scandal broke. That student body did nothing to deserve that. My son's best friend goes there and every time I see him I feel like he got screwed for something that he had no hand in.

_

19. nyjunc

I am not deflecting at all, I have said the truth will come out and that the duke stuff I posted had nothing to do w/ UNC. Just posting information. I expect Carolina to come out ok in this situation but if not and it is proven they did something wrong they will deserve the punishment. I would hate to see it selfishly as a fan and unselfishly for the great kids on the current team.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Way too much smoke for UNC to have done nothing wrong IMO.

Most programs have dirt if you know where to look. If that dirt is exposed enough where it reaches the national media, I'm going on the assumption that there's something to it. Especially now that there are multiple sources who have come out.