Offensive LIne

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 6, 2023.

1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I do suspect of all the possible coaching moves this plus Calabrese are the most likely changes.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

To me. The OL Is going to be the trickiest aspect of the offseason. Hopefully JD can get It sorted out, solidified, with solid depth to reinforce It. We were pulling magic out of our ass's even before AVT went down, after he went down, the wheels fell completely off. We had two guy severely injured, playing, all year. It was just really bad all the way around and we couldn't recover from It.

Jojo, stinkyB, MoWilkBeast and 2 others like this.
  3. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

What’s Browns contract situation for next year it was a 2 year deal or a team/player option?

4. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Can we all agree that the first round pick should be undoubtedly the best OL on the board?? Unless a stud at a game changing position IE edge rush or CB drops. No more B List free agents.

And our 2nd round pick or 3rd we should just double down and take the best Center prospect in the draft. Don't really care to read everyone bicker here over tbe 1st round skill position players. To unlock Garrett, Elijah, Breece, we need A. A Qb and B. An OL to protect that QB

Jojo, papapump, joelip and 4 others like this.
  5. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

He hasn’t been healthy in 3 years. It’s a tall order to expect him to bounce back.

#45 94Abraham, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

It will be I teresti g to see how we do this. We can perhaps move AVT to RT, resign Herbig for RG, and probably stuck with Tomlinson at LG. McGovern has been durable and OK…but we need a real LT

we can do this

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's the strange thing. He was o-line coach for the 49ers for 3 years, and did well. Shanahan was upset when he left. And yet here OLine is terrible, and running game is terrible, which he also coordinates. It may be we just need a better talent at the OLine spot.

Jojo, SOJAZ and Lon Chaney like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Basically do the same thing all over again but expect a different result? To me Herbig is a sub. Or Herbig replaces Tomlinson (if he can't get back to SF playing levels) as a RG with AVT moving back to LG. AVT can play RT in emergency but he did much better as a guard. With need a Center (McGovern played like shit down the stretch individually and was never a good line signal called to begin with) and two starting caliber tackles. Mitchell and Becton can be back-ups or challenge for the starting job, but we need two new tackles in place.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me this speaks to not adjusting your scheme to the players and their skillsets. Take Becton. Huge man. Athletic for such a big man, but is this blocking scheme really a good fit for him? Yes he was overweight, and I've been one of his biggest critics for that, but he was seriously injured twice playing under this CS even though he was injury free in college and even under Gase. That's just one example, but the inordinately high number of injuries to the rest of the OL and the struggle they had providing decent protection and opening holes for the RBs, at what point do you question the coaching and the scheme?

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Laken Tomlinson has already stolen $12,780,000 in the form of a signing bonus and $1,120,000 of salary this year for a total of $13,900,000.

If he remains on our roster next year he will steal an additional $12,700,000 of salary and $400,000 in the form of a roster bonus.

None of his salary is guaranteed, we would only have to eat the remainder of the bonus we already gave him if he is cut.

Tomlinson has a cap hit of $17,360,000 if we keep him and only $8,520,000 is we cut him.

Cutting him gives us more than nine million of cap savings in 2023.

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Your numbers are incorrect

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Took the numbers from spotrac.

What did I miss?

13. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Goddamnit, why do we keep talking about this?!?!? This message board declared that the offensive line was fixed. Period. End of story. It doesn't matter that yesterday was arguably the worst offensive line on the field that this franchise has ever had. It's fixed. So stop talking about it. Also, Douglas is an offensive line "guru" ... so he is not responsible (in any way) for the offensive line that was on the field yesterday. Also because it's been fixed already.

James Hasty likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Lon Chaney likes this.
  15. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Hard for Tomlinson to get injured blocking nobody to be fair

SOJAZ, James Hasty and cval like this.
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Not sure there was anyone who said this going into the year. Maybe one or two very optimistic posters.

17. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Browning being Browning....He's a FLOPPER!

18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Here, I have something besides the QB to discuss. AVT, coming back healthy, excelled at Tackle in limited time this season. Isn't tackle harder to find than guard? Why would we not move AVT to RT? Hell, I think he played LT and did well too. I think a full off season playing at T and he could be one of the better right tackles out there. I'm sure he wouldn't object come contract time.

19. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

This line needs major reconstruction, especially if you expect a 40 year old QB to play behind it.

20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

1st round is simple because one or more of Paris Johnson, Skoronski or Broderick Jones will be there. There’s your LT.

AVT at LG.

McGovern was rated the 10th best center by pff last year. Keep him there.

Sign a FA guard and have Tomlinson compete. I can’t believe he’d be as bad as he was last year.

Becton/Mitchell at RT.