Offensive LIne

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 6, 2023.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

That's quite a contrast from this post of yours.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I doubt that Douglas can find a LT - or even a RT - in FA that's worth the money. Any of the really good ones get paid by the team they're on, they're almost as valuable as QBs and probably more valuable than Edges. So he's going to have to rely on the draft probably. Too bad he didn't figure this out last year when he could've had a franchise T for the taking. Yeah, I know he took Sauce, and it's hard to argue against that, but as good as Gardner has been and will be, was he more valuable than shoring up the OL which certainly crippled our offense regardless of who the QB was. I still think he should've taken Ekonwu at #4, but it's water under the bridge. I hope he can find someone as good in this draft.

barfolomew and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Every time I get back to this thread I think the title should have been written as "Offensive. Line."

barfolomew, JetFanInNE and Br4d like this.
  4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It's gonna be a mess to sort out...

AVT is the only locked in starter and that's assuming he's fully healthy, but sounds like that's the expectation. But will he be at RG, LG, RT or LT?

I can't believe Tomlinson has been so bad. I'd like to cut him, but it's a lot of dead money and not much savings. Maybe we're stuck with him, but there should be somebody waiting in the wings. I suppose it's possible he bounces back next year

I'd bring back McGovern so there's no gaping hole at Center, but look to an heir in the draft.

OT in the 1st is definitely the priority. Should be some good prospects in the 10-18 range

I'd have Becton and Mitchell compete at RT.

Bring back Herbig, maybe Feeney and/or Ogbuehi if needed for depth

In total, I want a minimum of 2 OL drafted early and maybe another prospect on Day 3

In a perfect world, I'd cut Tomlinson and sign a new free agent OG like Elgton Jenkins or Isaac Semualo, but don't think it's realistic

LT: 1st round OT
    LG: Tomlison | Herbig | Day 3 prospect
    C: McGovern | 2nd/3rd round rookie
    RG: AVT | Feeney
    RT: Becton/Mitchell

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's an interesting point whether in retrospect we should have drafted Ikey. Sauce according to PFF is the best #1 overall corner in the NFL. From what I have seen, this seems about right. Ikey is 56th rated Tackle, which is not very good. Now, as crazy as this sounds, it would still be a massive upgrade for the Jets over Fant/Mitchell combo, who are #71 and #76, but we are talking about #1 overall guy at his position in Sauce vs 56th overall guy. I think I would have to go with Sauce still on that one.

barfolomew, KingRoach, SOJAZ and 4 others like this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I put the money towards bringing back Herbig.

We have too many problems to let Tomlinson bleed several million more dollars than he is worth.

Rip the bandaid off now.

SOJAZ and barfolomew like this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Fixing our offensive line is important but targeting position over talent in the draft is the path to failure.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Agreed on not reaching for a need, but I don't see how we don't go OL in round 1 or 2 given the uncertainty of Becton, Mitchell's health issues, and McGovern's FA status. That's without considering how disappointing Tomlinson has been this season.

Jojo likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Can't. The guy has fully guaranteed salary for next year. Even these few CAP mil that you are "saving" for next year, you will need to incur the following year. Basically even if you waive him you will eventually take a CAP hit for every single penny that is owed to him. There is no point to do that, might as well have him on the roster and hope he will play better next to a better LT, which we will have to get on the offseason. He was OK in SF for a few years next to a good LT. The best you can do with him if say some 3d round pick is better is bench him. But waiving when you are paying his FULL salary doesn't make sense.

10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If you want to assume we lose McG in FA IMO we’d have to assume one of the below needs gets filled in FA.

IMO the places where we need the upgrades are:
    Backup LT
    A RT
    Backup RG

I think we can get all of the above late day 2. Leaving day 1 for a high impact player on a high impact position.

Coming from 13 we are definitely trade up candidates this year.

I’d settle for one of the top LTs if we stay at 13 as they’re both position versatile but I’d love to trade up and get DL Carter, trade back a little with pick 45 and get some big bodies late day 2.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Sure, but as I mentioned, there should be OT prospects with good value from 10-18, as it looks now. It's not unreasonable to think they can get good value on an IOL on Day 2. You don't make big reaches, but positional need has to factor into value at some extent.

That's why they should resign McGovern, an OG or two, and maybe an OT for depth so they're not in position to reach badly

joelip and Nyjets4eva like this.
  12. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I saw a Mock draft had us taking the OT from Northwestern forgot his name and I don’t know much about him tbh. Hope he is good

13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Sauce has the makings to become a generational type talent at CB.
    Any questioning about that being the right pick is just folly.
    Best player available was and always be the correct strategy for the draft. Teams drafting with the specific goal of filling holes are in perpetual rebuild, especially since most rookies are never making a huge impact year 1.
    And if there is a clear BPA and it is a position you have locked down, there usually will be a taker looking to trade up for them.

The issue is getting the right talent evaluators as to not completely whiff on draft picks.

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The best you can count on is Becton coming in as a solid backup. If they move into the season content with Becton penciled in as starter they all deserve to fired for stubborn arrogance

15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

For those wanting to cut Tomlinson and not resign McGovern, you also have factor in durability. Have they been disappointing? Sure, but they have also played just about every snap this season. Now compare that to the revolving doors at every other position on the OL. You can let them go and improve the line in theory while also whilst weakening it in practice.

Centiment likes this.
  16. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I think we might be stuck with Tomlinson for another year. I hope he plays like he did in SF next year if so.

joelip and Jets79 like this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more.... I just posted this in the end of year JD review but needs to be posted here also and if it doesn't piss you off nothing will....

I distinctly remember JD stating that you win in the trebches... well Joe, according to the following info you failed miserabily. Injurues are part of the game and we have had more then our share but come on some of this stuff is starlling, at lest to me.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti..._offensive_line_in_shambles/s1_16703_38328227

JD screwed the pooch with respect to the OL... check this info out gents:

the offensive lines Douglas has built, that has surrendered the third-most sacks (190) in the league since he took over. Think about that.... and then add this: Douglas only spent 4/26 selections on offensive linemen in his first three drafts?

If that doesn't piss you off , then there is this.... Out of New York's 18 offensive linemen who were under contract with the team in 2022, 13 of their contracts are set to expire: George Fant (OT), Mike Remmers (OT), Cedric Ogbuehi (OT), Greg Senat (OT), Adam Pankey (OT), Sam Schlueter (OT), Dan Feeney (OG), Nate Herbig (OG), Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (OG), Dru Samia (OG), Chris Glaser (OG), Eric Smith (OG) and Connor McGovern are all free agents.

Even at 2022 market price, these 18 salaries totaled $26,035,833 (spotrac.com).

New York currently has $15,877,943 of projected cap space in 2023.

That's a deficit of $10,157,890. That's even if Douglas could bring them all back at the exact same deals next season and that's only to field an offensive line that's given up the 11th most sacks in the NFL in 2022 (42).

The only five offensive linemen Douglas has under contract for 2023 are:

Max Mitchell (non-football injury list)

Mekhi Becton (injured reserve)

Alijah Vera-Tucker (injured reserve)

Duane Brown (injured reserve)

Laken Tomlinson

What this means is that he will probably spend the draft picking OL personnel because FA will be to pricey or if they do go there then it maybe low rent

Borat and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  18. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yep. That’s why we keep saying - the entire draft is OL. And no vet QB is coming here to play behind a OL like this.

Nor should you pay for one because they will get injured.

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Sure guys get injured, but at what point does the JD put an OL together which is not predominantly composed of fragile egg shell parts? Failure to get the recipe correct and get some continuity in the line will keep any Jet QB in a constant state of peril. Even with the numerous recent draft picks, one gets an accurate idea of how awful and neglected every part of this team was for the past decade. Maybe next time it's best to make sure the OL is rebuilt before going out and flushing a #2 pick down the toilet for a damaged goods sandlot QB with inferior arm strength and accuracy, which for some reason has been mistaken as talent.

SOJAZ, Borat and James Hasty like this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets need better coaching at o-line.