Offensive Line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 2, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

In that scenario, Fant will be the left tackle imo but I feel that they will start Becton on day one unless it is apparent in camp he isn't ready.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It would be awesome if Clarke would be ready to take over a starting spot during the season. I do think that's a possibility. With Edoga, I'm less certain and have mixed feelings. Since he was a draft pick and is younger than Fant, I guess I should be rooting for him, but I feel much less hopeful of Edoga panning out than I do Fant. I know the fact that Mac picked Edoga is a factor in that. I saw Edoga in the one-on-one drills at the Sr. Bowl, and applauded his pick, and know with my mind that he never should have seen the field last year, yet was forced to play and struggled as a result. I think I like Fant better because of his versatility and athleticism, but it may be because Douglas picked him and Mac picked Edoga. Does anyone else have similar thoughts/feelings about those two?

3. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling RT is going to be an open competition in camp. Fant probably is the frontrunner at the moment, but there's also a chance that the Jets use him as the 6th lineman/jumbo TE like how he was utilized in Seattle.

4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

We knew Edoga was a developmental prospect when we brought him in. It is that much harder to develop when you're in over your head and you get thrown to the wolves AND the guys lining up next to you are sub-par. That's what Edoga got to deal with last year. Just keep in mind that he was not set up to succeed. He may not make it into the starting lineup in 2020, but he has talent, and I think he will be successful here in time. How much time, I don't know.

I'm higher on Fant than a lot of our fellow posters. If it were up to me, I'd have an open competition at every OL spot other than Center. Let's see who the best 5 are, and let's see some fire out of 'em.

LAJet, NYJFOREVER, FJF and 3 others like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said. As I said, I was impressed (very impressed even) with Edoga's work in one-on-one drills at the Sr. Bowl. He has talent, and he was set up to fail last year, not succeed. I think the fact that Mac picked him rather than Douglas is the main thing that has me wondering/doubting him, but I think it's also that I like Fant better. Still, I am rooting for Edoga. It will make the Jets better if he can develop into a solid OL, be it at RT or RG.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

With preseason and camp possibly being severely disrupted this year I'm just not sure I see Becton being ready to start at LT this year. I am confident that he will excel at RT though. With Becton's weakness in pass pro and undoubted run blocking strength this may well be the way the Jets can field its strongest line. It isn't ideal and shoves Becton's learning curve a year down the road, but that might be a better proposition than fielding two players in less than perfect situations with little practice time.

7. K'OB

Why kick it down the road for another season though?

We aren't winning the Superbowl next season, may as well get learning on the job and prepare ourselves for the next 5+ seasons of heavy success :)

Red Menace and Brook! like this.
  8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i'm not an expert but i can imagine in year 1 becton plays RT and mauls people, and Fant plays LT (primarily because of that video posted on here someplace showing how he handled Myles Garret)

Year 2 i can see Becton starting at LT or maybe year 1 if he starts strong

also i note clarke is a bit taller and longer than Chuma, so wondering how that may fit into things in the future -- i.e., is one better suited than the other as RT

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

You'd rather have rookie whose biggest weakness coming out of college is pass protection manning Sam's blind side with little or no camp time to prepare then? You have to put the best line out there in front of Sam in my opinion. If that means Becton plays RT then so be it. If he's the best LT and proves it that's different, but without camp to prove it, it is a risk for me.

10. K'OB

He is a left tackle though, it isn't like he has just been dragged off the street and told to play LT for the first time, also number 11 picks should be walk on first team for a start. Guy said "not on my side" if you draft a left tackle play him as a left tackle. Like I said we aren't contenders next season anyway. Plus how could he be any worse than the LT's from last season?

Red Menace likes this.
  11. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

The best 5 will play and this offseason could be drastically more challenging for rookies. Becton has elite talent physical gifts like few in the NFL, if any. I would be fairly confident the line would look like this.

LT- Fant/Becton/Edoga
    LG-Lewis/Winters (restructure)/Van Roten
    C-McGovern/Harrison/Van Roten
    RG-Van Roten/Winters/Becton
    RT-Becton/Edoga/Fant

I think we carry 8
    Back-up C and T will be a camp battles.

Backup C- I like Harrison because of system familiarity
    Backup/Swing T- Edoga because of familiarity and raw ability.

I see Clark as a prime PS candidate unless he beats out Edoga or Winters. Think he has some value as a G but ultimately I like him and Becton to be the anchors for a while. Either Clark or Edoga will be our RT of the future with the other being a swing. Fuck, you may even see Fant move to RT and one of the others mentioned being cut. I like that we're adding options at the T spot!

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I still wouldn't mind signing Jason Peters and cut Brian Winters

LT - Jason Peters / Fant
    LG - Alex Lewis
    C - McGovern
    RG - Van Roten/Winters
    RT - Becton / Fant

They should compete for those spots.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing these new OL additions on the field this preseason.

Would be amazing if Clark has the ability to play both reserve RG, RT, and 6th man for jumbo packages (like Qvale did).
    We need someone to fill that role.

We will also need a starting RT sooner than later.
    If Clark can transition from versatile reserve to starting RT, that would make this pick amazing and take away that need next offseason.
    It seems he has the nastiness, will need to see if he has the athleticism in this zone (which I’m not a fan of).

After we fire Gase zone athleticism may not be emphasized as much either, so I’m glad Douglas not just picking guys for the current system.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Winters is best run blocking G we have.
    I expect he wins the RG spot easily, with Van Roten and Lewis competing for LG which they both typically play (and I give the edge to Van Roten).
    It doesn’t make any sense at all to cut him unless not healthy by camp.

I would like to add T depth tho, unless they feel Clark can be a reserve T.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Might be able to better allocate the money, if we cut Winters to add Peters or Markus Golden (much needed edge rusher). I think Clark will play inside at RG / LG at the next level.

I am not a huge fan of Winters for that price personally, I think Van Roten can come in and produce no?

16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’d really be shocked if Becton is not week 1 LT. He will have growing pains but he is an elite prospect, he’s not going to get Darnold killed. He should get maximum experience in his future position.

McGovern is a lock for C, I don’t think there is any doubt of that.

Lewis was the highest paid FA at a guard position, and he became pretty comfortable at LG as the season concluded. I think he is the next most likely starter.

The right side is where there is less clarity to me. For the RT position, Fant was paid pretty well to come in, however, he is an easy cut after 1 year. Training camp performance being equal, I’d rather keep Edoga as the starter as he will be here 3 more years and can develop. Fant would be a versatile swing tackle, however if Fant plays better I would say give him the nod.

RG features Winters v Van Roten. My instinct tells me Winters is the better player when healthy, and will end up being the starter. He does save $7mm on the cap if released but I’d prefer he stays if he is the better player. He is good depth as well, but $7mm may be hard to swallow as a backup with no dead money if cut.

Jets81 and FJF like this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Still a long ways to go but if we draft another 1st round Tackle or Center come 2021 and then another 2nd round WR our offensive line and WR positions will become full of both youth and talent and with A+ potential.

JD has completely rebuilt our O-Line throughout only his first free agency and draft. It's completely different. And with smart O-Lineman who never commit penalties; ever.

It's only going to improve over the next two years too. JD is the man I wouldn't be shocked to see Le'Veon Bell become an All-Pro once again come 2020 while Sam Darnold makes his first pro bowl.