Offensive Line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah as the GM is not at all does not seem to know what he is doing at all.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Huh? You don't think that Douglas seems to know at all what he is doing? What makes you think that?

3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%. Devil's advocate a little and a question. Taking on Jefferey's 15 million is not what I want at all. But for one year to take it on and get a left tackle for the next 8-10 years for a third round pick I might be willing to do. Ok so that is my question and devil's advocate.

Jeffrey at the right price I am ok adding. 15 million way too much. Maybe he'd be willing to renegotiate. I'm not opposed at the right price to have a useful veteran who can help hopefully at least two wr we draft in the first 4 rounds.

To continue your thought.
    1. Why are the Eagles looking to get rid of Dillard and resign Peters who is old? What do they know that we don't? That scares me.

2. Like you said many rumors to go through right now. Two more weeks of it. I do look forward to March 22nd to see what our new team looks like.

4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Hopefully we can resign some of these players before free agency. Some I feel like Jenkins might want to see what is out there.

Before free agency the Jets should do the following:
    1. Resign Poole. 3 years 24 million I've heard.
    2. Try to resign Jenkins. Numbers 3 years 30 million. Might be too low or high but figure somewhere around there.
    3. Winters is at 7 million this year. If I can get him to 3-5 I'd rework it. Not sure if he feels he can get that 7 on the market, but to have him here. He's an average player. Doesn't move the needle one way or the other but you know you'd get decent play from him and if you upgrade around him maybe he plays better.
    4. Once the new CBA goes into effect. Sign Adams. Look at Robby if we signed him last year probably a 4 year 44 million deal. Just above what Tyrell Williams got from the Raiders. Now he is at 13 million probably. Always better to sign guys early. It'll be cheaper in the long run.
    5. Marcus Maye and other players are mentioned. I like Maye unfortunately he's going to have to wait. The Jets have needs in so many areas they have to sign others before we can turn to him. Maybe during the season. Last year he was healthy but injuries do scare me with him.

Agree that it is important to take care of our own. I think under Douglas we'll see that. I think the Jets still have so many holes he needs to fill them in and can't just look at our own free agents. I expect him to really sign a bunch of tier 2 free agents. Much like the Bills did last year. Go with quantity over quality . Guys who he can sign 1-3 years deals. Easy to get out of and doesn't cost that much. Examples:
    1. Glagow-g/c
    2. Vaitai-ot
    3. Mcgregor-c
    4. Beasely de

Just 4 of the type of players you pay a little less too. Allows you to sign others and doesn't break the bank.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Draft for Tackles, FA for Guards. Conklin would be an upgrade but not at the prices being mentioned.

6. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I think this is the way to go. Instead of barely fixing OL, WR, CB, etc all together. Completely fix one of the major holes on the team.

mrjet80 and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This sentence hurts me physically

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agree with most of it. Hit the second tier and third tier of Free Agency harder than the top tier.

I'm torn on Marcus Maye. If he and Adams get extended, it's going to be a lot of money tied up in one position. They're both great at what they do but you'd like to see them collectively force some more turnovers. Maye needs to work on ball skills like crazy. He's great at playing center field in the no big plays capacity, but he struggles when the balls in the air near him (in terms of swatting it down).

As soon as we don't sign Conklin, Scherff or Thuney, or some other headline free agent, there will be pandomonium on this board calling for JD's head.

J-Raw24 and AJT73 like this.
  9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Lol. Yes there will be. That is why Glasgow and Vaitai are important to me. I heard a rumor about Fant too. As much and I'd like one of the big three I don't think we'd get them. If we do great. If not tier 2 and 3 players are key and we need 3-5 of them. To me Glasgow and Vaitai seem to be at the top of tier 2. Fant, McGrergor, Spain, Peet, and a few others I am forgetting are that next tier we need to sign. That's why resigning Lewis and possibly restructuring Winters can be a key in this. It's the approach the Bills took last year and it worked. Also don't take this idea as one that prevents us from drafting linemen. The Jets need to draft at least 2-3 to build a long term sustainable unit. When the Jets were the best they had Brick and Mangold. It's amazing how good offensive lines make a team that much better. That is what the Jets need to do.

Pags2112 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of Fant. He gets blown by when going against any sort of speed. A beast of a run blocker but his foot speed out of his stance is too damn slow for comfort for me IMO. Seattle offensive lineman are notoriously terrible as pass blockers. Russ just covers it up for them with his pocket presence.

I'd rather get three second and third tier offensive lineman than one for big money.

Rumors are floating about us throwing big money at Byron Jones and James Bradberry. And I'm losing faith that Joe D has learned from the mistakes of his predecessors. Our secondary wasn't the problem last year at all once the dust settled. And we're already looking at paying two high priced safeties.

ColoradoContrails and AJT73 like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

A year in a pro offseason workout program is going to do him a lot of good. I do t like him much at guard though. Too rangy. He’s either a starting right tackle or a career swing tackle imo.

12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree not a fan of Fant. Seattle has been awful. I'd rather keep Beachum be I hear he is gone. Fant would be an option if we don't get Vaitai. Many layers to free agency and who to sign.

Agree 100% on Jones and Bradberry. Been down that road before. Look at Trumane Johnson. Don't know as many tier 2 guys but sign them. I think Eli Apple. Prince Amukamora. Don't turn the needle but brought in to compete with Austin Maulet possibly a pick or two I'm ok with that. Don't spend on corners. Only one worth spending on is our own Pool. Resign him please.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree completely and I think with a competent GM they can even completely fix two of the holes.....but starting with OL. I have a feeling he's going to attack the CB position too.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

And WR, this draft is too deep at the position for him not to.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  15. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I hope he doesn't pull another Trumaine Johnson crapper. IMO sign an 2nd/3rd tier cb like McKenzie Alexander that has something to prove. Maybe Trae Waynes if he's cheap. Then draft anothrr in the 3rd or so. No corner should be paid 12+ million by this team atm. Adams, Maye, Darnold all need resigned soon plus we have 21 FA of our own and a horrendous o line.

16. mrjet80

Yeah I think he’s signing a FA CB and drafting one relatively high. I don’t think he’s looking at Jones - probably a mid-tier CB.

I wouldn’t be surprised is Maye is dangled in trade talks. Keep in mind he’s already 27 and if another team were to offer say a low 3rd rounder or high 4th.......JD would have to pull the trigger no? When is his contract up next year or same as Adams? How much would Maye cost to resign assuming Adams stays?

17. mrjet80

Yes it is. I just used the CB position as an example. In fact I think JD is gonna draft two WRs when it’s all said and done.

18. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I don't think Maye will cost a lot. He was solid last year but still hasn't quite performed like big money guy. Think it's best to sign him cheap now rather than try to replace him in free agency or use a draft pick on something we have. Also he may help with resigning Adams since they been friend since before college.

19. mrjet80

Well we’ll see. As a fan I’d prefer they keep him. Hopefully he won’t cost a lot ..

J-Raw24 likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Paying Maye depends on a few things:

1. The CB situation. If We have CB’s who can play for a few years cheap, we can theoretically pay Maye and Adams.

2. Who is our Defensive Coordinator in a couple years. Some say Greg Williams will never get another shot, however if he continues to produce like he did with Cleveland in 2018 and New York in 2019, I think he will get a HC offer. The question with whoever is coaching will be how much do you value the FS position.

3. His contract has 1 more year, so we would have to sign him this offseason/season. There is for sure a chance Maye is dangled around the trade deadline, but also a chance he signs a 3-4 year extension part way through the season. Probably largely depends on how the team’s record is looking.