Offensive Line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 2, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Say the 3 rumors are true, and the Jets are making a big time push to sign Joe Thuney and Jack Conklin, and also that they are interested in developing Chuma Edoga.

Jack Conklin played more LT than RT at Michigan State, and I believe Taylor Lewan’s growth at LT was the main reason Conklin was kept on the right side in Tennessee. Who thinks if the Jets get him, their plan is to place him on the left side, and develop Chuma on the right?

Round out the moves by cutting Brian Winters and re-signing Alex Lewis.
    Leading up to the draft, if the starting offensive lineup were:

LT: Jack Conklin
    LG: Joe Thuney
    C: Jonotthan Harrison
    RG: Alex Lewis
    RT: Chuma Edoga

Would drafting an OT in the first round still be an absolute necessity? What if we traded back in the first to get an additional second rounder, and that could allow us to get the best OT, G/C, WR, CB, and OLB all in the first 3 rounds. That’s 5 picks in the first two days, or they could be used to move around and get guys they really like.

I’m not saying the rumor is true, but if it is, maybe Conklin wants to come to the Jets because they somehow let him know they would put him at LT.

almbleamal and boozer32 like this.
  2. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

There is no possible I see Edoga as the starting RT based on what we've see so far. They'll be drafting an OT at #11 if they're smart - or if JD is what they say he is.

3. MaximusD163

What if they took Ceedee Lamb at 11, and then Josh Jones or Austin Jackson at 48?

Or something similar, maybe with a trade back, Josh Jones, Justin Jefferson, and Cesar Ruiz.

4. BomberJet

Conklin really belongs at RT - the position he played at Titans. If he is signed , I just can't see JD passing up on one of the top Left tackles.

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. MaximusD163

Why do you say he really belongs at RT?

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'd love it. Yes. Sam Darnold needs protection. But he also needs explosive offensive weapons. There is no way in hell that you can pass up on either of Jeudy or Lamb if they're still on the board.

Focus on O-Line throughout free agency. Draft either Jeudy or Lamb during round 1 and use the other rounds to focus on some more O-Linenman.

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You could be very well right but I wouldn't be a fan of that OL.

I'm gonna say if JD signs Conklin he is going to RT. Edoga at that point is either gonna be a swing for now or possibly in the mix for one of the guard spots. Remember JD didn't draft Edoga - while reports say the Jets are high on him that could also be a smokescreen. I think he will draft a center - probably with one of his third round picks. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a guard drafted but later on as in the 5th round or later for developmental purposes.

Keep in mind the Jets can still draft a WR say as late as the third round and he is still first round talent this year.....you can't really say the same in regards to OTs.

Mogriffjr and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A few things I wonder about that OL:

1. Can Conklin play LT in the NFL?

2. Can Edoga be counted on to play RT?

3. Harrison is a good backup, but can he start 16 games?

I'd love to grab an OT in round 1 and take a WR in rounds 2-4. There's a drop off in OT's after the first 4 while the WR class is deep enough that getting a Jeudy or Lamb isn't necessary.

9. BomberJet

What makes you think he can play LT? You would trust him protecting Sam's blind side? As I mentioned , he played RT with the Titans. Why take
    the risk?

mrjet80 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah there's no way to take him away from his position of strength. If you want him to perform as he's performed in his All-Pro year you leave him at right tackle. I also am not entirely sure the player would sign if that was the stipulation.

Left tackle and right tackle isn't really as interchangeable as people make it seem. It's not as cut and dry as big run blockers on the right, agile pass protectors on the left. The footwork is completely different. Your power foot and your drop foot are opposite.

ColoradoContrails and BomberJet like this.
  11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

If Edoga is starting at either Tackle position next year we are absolutely fucked.

12. MaximusD163

All legitimate questions. In my mind, this offensive line leading up to the draft just allows flexibility. Drafting an OT at 11 becomes an option versus a necessity. If you trade back, you could get yourself a starting RT, C, and WR potentially. At least ideally. All of a sudden you have 4 new OL in this scenario. What if the Jets don’t feel the remaining OT’s are worth the 11th pick?

13. MaximusD163

He played LT in his best year in the Big 10, so you know he can do it. Will he be as good at LT as at RT? I don’t know.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Lol, I don’t think that will happen.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

You never know. He was awesome while @ USC and I don't believe he ever allowed more than 1 sack @ Tackle throughout his career. Still only 22 years of age and too soon to label his potential after only 1 rookie season.

Do I want him starting? No. But I won't write him off as some type of bust.

16. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Conklin is an RT. That's his strength. No way you play him at LT. Thuney will be overpaid, I hope not by the Jets. Edoga has a chance to develop into a good Tackle, but he needs time to learn. He had good games, he had bad Games. Personally would sign Conklin, move Edoga to RG, bring Lewis back as depth, Sign Glasgow, bring back beachum. Then draft a tackle and guard/center prospect. Glasgow can play either LG or center. Beachum can play LT until the new tackle pushes him out. Same goes for LG.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Ddnt I just read somewhere that Conklin grades out as a better rush blocker than a pass blocker? If thats the case, you can bet hes 100% playing RT if the Jets sign him

J-Raw24 likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

According to PFF, yes, but that doesn’t imply he’s a bad pass blocker. PFF graded him 10th overall out of all LT and RT. If you’re going with their grades, do you really think the 10th best tackle in the whole league can’t play LT?

19. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

fair enough BUT if hes a better rush blocker Id rather run behind him there and have a shiny new LT at 11

mrjet80 likes this.
  20. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

He was rated that high because of how good he is at right tackle. It's not the same. He is way better in run blocking. Why would you play him out of position.

FJF, mrjet80 and jonnyd like this.