Offensive Line this Preseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jcass10, Aug 28, 2017.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah but you have to admit, its misleading. You watched the games, does that offensive line look productive in anyway to you against first team talent? Ignoring the preseason, even last season. Im not even talking about just pasd blocking, ive not seen good run blocking either. Forte and Powell were getting hit in the back field.

Its almost like hes trying to make an excuse and blame hack. Its not just that hack isnt ready, the whole offense isnt honestly. Nobody should be getting a pasd. Well except Powell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

When you have a QB that seems to be panicking under pressure, and you have OL stats that suggest they're not as incompetent as they look, it can be skewed metrics, or it can be a red flag about our receivers. Or probably both.

Our receivers have been making our (admittedly terrible) quarterbacks look worse than they are for years.

When every unit is bad, everyone looks worse than they actually are. A single competent unit would make everyone else look better. But right now we have nothing. It's hard to believe how much nothing we have.

zace likes this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I had some hope, but that was quickly dashed. My only hope is we can get a top pick. And hopefully not mess that up.

4. You are so full of shit it isn't even funny. What stat would you like me to refer to when citing my position?Afterall this whole thread is essentially poo pooing statistical measures used to grade OL.

Furthermore what stats or facts have you provided?All you've said is FAN OPINION supported by nothing more than overall team perception & one random patriot game from last year

I stand by my fan opinion & im more than confident in my position on this matter.So you tell me..what stat will you accept as credible that you won't quickly hide behind the notion that OLs can't be judged on metrics

Further considering the fact I have made reference to well documented & well known Instances of good teams w OL problems..where are your facts to disprove my contentions?

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im not full of shit, youre opinion just isnt valid. Just a fan making an assumption and using these half stats to support an opinion you formed. The offensive line sure hasnt been anygood so for any suggestions otherwise is foolish, whether or not you believe hack is good or not. I explicitly remember Bowles saying something to the effect of we need to help him.

You cant find any metrics to support that a successful team in any year had a bad offensive line. They may be able to hold up a game here or there, but they fold against lesser talent. Go look, pull whatever stats you want, lets see em.

6. Alright.

Just don't wanna hear that stats don't matter after the fact..

For starters how bout the Jets OL from 2015.10-6 missed the playoffs on a very weak schedule..Jets OL that year despite heavy criticism yielded the least amount of sacks in NFL,sent Chris Ivory to the pro bowl w well over 1000 yards in an injury riddled campaign & allowed Ryan stinking Fitzpatrick to set the team passing record throughout all of it.

That team was fool's gold..but the one common thread that kept them consistent was The OL.The stats could not back that up any more clearly

Bad team.Good OL

I'll get started on dissecting some of those god awful Packer lines among others.. the night is young & you asked for it oh wise one

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Oh no were in agreement, that line was terrible and the jets had a lot of luck. In fact the offense didnt really play much different last season, except fitzpatrick didnt get the bounces to go his way. Theyve neglected this line for years. I said that season repeatedly that 2015 ny jets were not a good team, but that being said, there were a lot of teams we could beat because of a weak schedule. You saw what happened when we played good teams. Fitzpatrick only won 1 game, i believe when trailing at any point. Maybe 2.

Brick and mangold were on the back end of their careers but still average at least. We lost that.

8. But just think..as lousy as that OL looked at times it was a top performer in significant categories &i allowed our skill players to perform to their absolute highest possible output;Isn't that the ultimate goal of a modern day offensive line? That line had individual flaws but in times of success was a sum Greater than all its parts.

That's been my point all along.An OL that's just a collection of talent doesn't always work.While you need a couple horses it's more important to have a well rounded unit w. Complimentary skill sets;sometimes you need an overachieving brawler who gets beat now & again to offset the stoic silent dancing bear at the spot next to him.So on & so fourth

Hell look at the Titans.all those well regarded high end draft picks they've made at OL, former OL head coach & they still have struggles. Rams OL is putrid they've spent a significant number of high picks on them recently.

There's just a lot of layers to offensive line.Its not as simple as a stat or throwing talent at the spot.Its much more calculated & complicated

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah but we dont even have average, thats my point. You coulda convinced me if you said average offensive line, but you didnt. Maybe you misinterpreted what i meant, but we cant cover a bad offensive line. We don't need 5 pro bowlers you are 100 percent correct about that, but we need guys who at least know thw schemes and assignments and arent getting beat of the line more often then not. We just simply dont have a leader on the line.

10. You maybe right...and I wouldn't be at all shocked if you were. But my OP was simply stating that we won't know exactly how bad we really are or aren't until the bullets are live. I don't consider preseason live b.c there's no game plan, the protection packages are horse crap & they aren't playing opponent specific. Alot of quality OL's look like crap in the preseason but once things get more detailed & specific they begin performing in unison at which point further inferences can be made. When you consider that the HC has been juggling the starting 5 & possibly even the blocking concepts this can be deemed as nothing more but a work in progress for better or worse..LOL..lets let the chips fall before we decide what needs to be done to fix it. and/or if it's really the worst OL in the league.

Red Menace and zace like this.
  11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Fair enough, it is preseason. Next season its definitely a position of need, if they draft a defensive player tho, i just might kick my tv

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.