Offensive Line Deserves a Ton of Credit

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 14, 2019.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

You make good points, but I disagree about the Jets prospects this season. Sure they weren't going undeafeated but I think they had the personnel to make the playoffs if it weren't for the injuries, illness and suspensions. Many preseason predictions indicated the same. Beating Dallas, a good team though maybe not a great team, shows they can play (with Darnold at QB) at a high level necessary to make a run. Many teams, faced with the same situation in the past, have brought in a veteran rather than go with an inexperienced 3rd stringer. I don't think it's unreasonable, after the last 5 years, for the fans to expect a turnaround this season. Going with Falk the Jets basically conceded 3 loses in the schedule and doomed whatever playoff hopes they had. At least a veteran would have given them a fighting chance at a win.

Also disagree about the readiness of 3rd string QBs. Many QB's are cut from rosters in TC or preseason presumably because they aren't good enough or ready enough to play in the NFL according to their coaching staffs. To keep a QB on the roster just to hold a clip board isn't helping your team. This coaching staff was negligent by failing to realize that Falk wasn't good enough to play early on, shades of Hackenberg. Apparently they realize it now, but unfortunately, too late.

Acad23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Do you mean the Jets game? It's on Monday Night Football on ESPN. The Thursday night game is Chiefs at Broncos.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's fine. No one said that we had to agree. We can agree to disagree. I don't think it reasonable at all to expect a turnaround this season when Mac got to run FA and the draft, and did little to improve the OL or the CB position, and his attempt at helping the pass rush has been a dismal failure to date. The Jets were learning new offensive and defensive systems on top of having little depth and massive holes. IMO just because they have a potential FQB and 2-3 elite players doesn't mean that they are ready to turn things around.

What you say might be true if the 3rd string QBs are kept on the roster, but when they are developmental types it isn't true, especially when they're on the PS. Name me one 3rd string QB the Jets have had over the last 20 years who was ready to play. Bollinger was the closest, and he wasn't very good at all. There needs to be someone to run the scout team offense. That is the 3rd string QB, so I totally disagree that keeping a 3rd string QB around that isn't ready to play isn't helping one's team. I think your expecations are unrealistic. There aren't that many good QBs in the NFL. That's why they are at such a premium.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah.. .Saw the game last night as it was broadcast.

5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying about going with Falk was surrendering for 3 weeks, but there are a couple of issue with this stance. First, week 2 we went with Siemian starting and Falk being the back up - I have no problem with them having Falk as back up in that set of circumstances. Week 3 was a short week (MNF to Sunday early slot) and against the Pats; that's a tough ask regardless of who you bring in. Week 5, they clearly expected Darnold to be cleared, there really isn't any point in bringing in someone at this point.

So really they only gave up on one week - the Pats in Foxboro - which only most optimistically deluded fan would have down as a game the Jets could win. Falk was never expected to see the field in the other two games. That he did was unfortunate rather than willful planning. And on top of this, which available QB is that much better? Osweiler is an upgrade, but is there any real point for one week when he wouldn't have got into training until Wednesday. Other than that it is someone like Cuttler out of retirement. In hindsight it is easy to say get someone in for 3 games, but that's not really the decision that the FO was faced with.

NCJetsfan, westiedog1 and FJF like this.
  6. westiedog1

Okay. I guess I was upset to see how dreadful Falk was, especially after other 2nd and 3rd stringers had done something positive for other teams. Thinking of Hodges in Pitt. and Minshew in Jack. Minshew not a 3rd stringer, but certainly a total unknown. Why can't the Jets have guys like that on the roster?

BTW, Josh Johnson not on the Lions roster, he is a FA.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Hey, I was upset at Falk's play too, so I understand. It could be totally the difference in players, but the system and coaching could also make a big difference. IMO that's one of the reasons why the jury is still out on Gase.

When I googled Josh Johnson nfl.com, it showed that he is on the Lions. http://www.nfl.com/player/joshjohnson/264/profile I thought the NFL was usually pretty good about keeping their info up to date. I see one thing that says FA, but his profile shows that he is or at least was with the Lions. Sorry for the confusion.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. westiedog1

Don't think there is any immediate coaching that could correct what I saw in Falk's play. Maybe if he hung around the league as long as Kellen Clemmens did, he might be a serviceable backup, but I doubt it.

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Clemmens was serviceable because he spent most of his time simply holding the clipboard. Other than the occasional mop-up duty, I think he started a few games for the Rams due to injuries but that was it.

10. NCJetsfan

I agree regarding Falk. What I meant in terms of coaching was that there might be some simpler plays or a simpler system in which Falk could have had more success. He has an accurate arm and was very successful in college.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. westiedog1

and he did win some games as a starter when called on, which is what you need.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

college QBs can get away with bad arm strength in a way NFL QBs can't. guys like penny and brees are like the minimum requirements for arm strength in the NFL and you need to be super smart and saavy and in the right system to make it with a weak arm. brees wasn't even good his 1st 3 years and didn't become elite until he was with sean payton. chad suffered too many injuries to the point his arm was as bad as falks is.

13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Damn OP on a roll with head scratching posts..

one win

that’s it

one

now they deserve credit

14. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

15. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

If anyone is blaming this game on the Oline is clueless. This game is on the QB and the offensive gameplan. They planned for a game where they never expected a single blitz. It’s baffling how ill prepared they seem to be when said blitz happened.

Acad23 likes this.
  16. Longsuffering88

you’re right
    The O line was great.
    We had 200 rushing yards and Sam had a lot of time

sorry won’t happen again

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Oh yea, It’s the Olines fault they can’t block 1-2 extra guys that are coming in on all these cover 0 blitz. You need to get a clue.

18. Longsuffering88

I told you

you’re right

the offensive line is great

you’re an amazing evaluator