Offensive Line Deserves a Ton of Credit

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 14, 2019.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Flaco, you threads are IMO, always on the money and extremely objective. It is refreshing and a great departure from the daily flood of one liners about fire Gase, trade Adams, trade Maye, Leonard is fat, and the usual "throw the baby out with the bath water" inputs that grow like wildflower at the first site of a calamity that strikes this team. Keep up the great work.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This can't be further from the truth.

Don't just take my words for it; look at how Bell's production improved. [NOT!]

That an elite QB can shield the deficiency of this OL shouldn't mean they deserve [tons of credit.]

Before I forget, Kalil is washed up. Jets need to pick a center in day 1 or day 2 come spring. He is slow, and is caught holding more often than not. [He was responsible for holding yesterday too.]

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The OL is trash and it was masked by a talented QB.

It’s nice to think about what Darnold will be able to do when he has a competent OL in front of him. Imagine what he could do with an extra split second and a running game.

The future is bright.

4. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

I don't know... its hard to blame a FO when a practice squad QB that wasn't supposed to see the field doesn't work out against the teams Falk played.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I do blame the FO. Any QB on a professional team has to be prepared to play. At least they should have realized that Falk had nothing to distinguish himself on the field. If your bringing a backup on to your team, whether 2nd string or 3rd or 4th, at least have a guy who has some QB strengths and/or experience. A few years ago, the Jets had a guy, Josh Johnson, who performed pretty well in preseason. He was mobile and had a pretty strong arm. Why not sign him? A guy like that would have given the Jets at least a shot at competing. If we were back in 2017 (the tank season), then okay, it wouldn't make a difference. However, this year the expectations were high and Falk's miserable performance pretty much ended the season.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The o-line did play better - a little. But a lot of the difference was using a sixth blocker on many pass plays. Rarely did we send both the TE and RB on passing routes at the same time. The truth is we need six blockers in pass protection most of the time. I'm glad Gase is finally understanding that.

On the flip side there are still too many holding calls. Holding calls basically ended multiple drives.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

At least they made adjustments which last few weeks seem to be missing. Sam was a big difference maker...

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And it looks like Gase needs a full fucking week - or about 4 fucking weeks for that matter - to make an adjustment. Not quite enough time for half-time adjustment.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's amazing what a competent QB can do for an OL that is below average.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Below average OL looks better than Jets OL.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I felt like being generous after a win.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. Falk looked good in preseason. He looked better than Siemian and Davis Webb. He already knew Gase's system from last year. Why would they go looking for some other 3rd string QB whom Gase didn't know and the QB didn't know Gase's system? Douglas had just arrived. He probably took Gase's word that Falk was fine as the scout team and 3rd string emergency QB. In addition, Gase had more than enough to focus on and deal with than to have to start from scratch teaching a 3rd string QB his system.

What the posters who have pointed out that a couple of other 3rd string QBs won games failed to recognize is that they are on better teams with better OLs that have played together in the same blocking scheme and offense, and that the starting QB there is gone for the season, not going to be back in 2-3 weeks.

#32 NCJetsfan, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Wah likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I disagree and think your perspective is flawed on this. Falk had experience in Gase's system and he looked pretty good in preseason. He has a very accurate arm, even if it isn't very strong. Douglas hadn't been on the job very long and had more pressing concerns with the OL and CB positions than 3rd string QB who was never likely to play. For certain, most team's 3rd string QB holds the clipboard and has little or no experience playing in the NFL.

IMO stating that any QB on a professional team has to be prepared to play is erroneous. No team has 3 starting-caliber-QBs ready to play on their roster. In OTAs and TC the starter gets the lion share of snaps. The backup gets most of the rest, and the 3rd string QB usually gets the scraps. Then during the season, the 3rd string QBs never get any snaps in practice with their own team's offense. They are always the scout team QB running that week's opponent's offense.

What's the point of signing a Josh Johnson? To begin with he's on the Lions' roster, so isn't available. He or whomever they signed would have to learn the offense anyway, and by the time he was starting to learn it, Sam would have been back. Second, both Douglas and Gase know that this team isn't going anywhere this season with this OL, with our CBs and lack of an elite edge rusher or elite receiving options for Sam. They're trying to manage the cap well and have some money to carry over for next season to help with FA. They also could have injuries at other positions during the season and need to sign someone, and they don't have a lot of cap space right now anyway ($4,467,765). Why waste money (and valuable cap space) bringing in a veteran QB if they don't have to? Sometimes it's better to suck it up, take the hit short term, but think long term. I think that this is what Douglas and Gase were doing. They were hoping that they could get by with Falk for 2-3 games until Sam got back, Sam would then play the rest of the season, Falk would be the backup, and they could save cap space. With the Jets' OL, Herndon and Enunwa out, I don't think the results would have been appreciably better. The Jets may have amassed more yards of offense and perhaps scored a few more points, but they weren't going to win against those opponents.

Expectations were only high among some fans/posters. Don't project your expectations onto the expectations of Gase and Douglas.

IMO it would have been foolish for Gase and Douglas to panic and then to waste cap space for 2-3 games, trade for players, or to make major changes to the offense, then have to change back when Sam returned. The Jets weren't going undefeated, to the SB, and most likely to the playoffs anyway this year. It is what it is. The talk that I see here occasionally of sneaking into the playoffs, getting hot and going on a run is unrealistic young fan, pie-in-the sky talk. Gase and Douglas gutted it out and stuck with the plan.

To the team's credit, they didn't whine or complain. They were professionals and gutted it out. It must have been incredibly difficult for them to play the previous 3 games knowing they had little or no chance to win. I'm proud of them.

MoWilkBeast and Wah like this.
  14. Swe-Jet

Swe-Jet Member

After bashing on the O-line for the last couple of weeks they definitely deserve some credit after this game. The communication was much improved and even Shell looked like a legit Left Tackle when stepping in for Beachum. Great effort blocking DBs on the screen passes :D

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Kalil was still pretty bad on some plays. On his ass or missing blocks...and the penalty on a 3rd and long...
    We need a C bad!

Also, Beachum almost got Sam killed when he just stops blocking for some reason...
    The Oline needs more work ethic and has to start taking over games.
    Unfortunately we don't have that type of line rn.

All in all they played well because Sammy was slingin... but such a long way to go rn.

mrjet80 likes this.
  16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

LT and C need to be addressed at the top of the next draft. I don't think this regime is high on Shell - he may not be re-signed. Edoga played well - let's hope he keeps it up. If so he may be a part of the equation of the new OL next year.....

Royal Tee likes this.
  17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think you're spot on here. Regardless of what some of these fans/posters on here think, Gase and Douglas have their eyes on next season and beyond. You're right - way too many holes on the roster for the Jets to make headway this season record wise. However, I will say I can see the Jets reeling off 6-7 wins starting Oct 27 through the second Miami game. A lot of winnable games in there despite the weak roster. It may hurt the upcoming draft position somewhat but I think Darnold and the rest of the young vets gaining more experience ( and learning how to win and close out games ) is a bit more valuable at this point. The Jets have their franchise QB now let's see the new GM work some magic in the offseason......

18. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I'm hoping Kalil improves as the season goes on but who knows...he may just be shot at this point

Royal Tee likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Line still cant run block to save their lives

Royal Tee and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am sure several have already alluded to this, but I give the Oline maybe 25% credit for the improved pass pro.

Darnold’s presence and ability no doubt in my mind makes up for the majority of the improved OLine play. He is getting the ball out quickly/accurately and his best ability is to move subtly in the pocket to buy extra time. He is supremely gifted in that area and THAT is why there was such a dramatic improvement.

Oline will get credit from me when they start to open up running lanes for Bell and co.

The 1-4 record is obviously a concern, but if they actually start to run the ball effectively...we will compete for a wildcard spot. That’s a big if though because as of right now, we can’t run the ball for squat.

ColoradoContrails likes this.