Offensive firepower w/options

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rockyusmc2003, Apr 12, 2010.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Once this trade is official, the bookmakers better change our 7-1 Superbowl odds. Not only did we have the #1 defense last year, we IMPROVED it this offseason. Our offense was a bit lacking, we went out and traded for Holmes, and signed LT. Amazing!

I'm a big offensive oriented person, I've coached offense for years, and what the Jets just did is nothing short of spectacular. Assuming Mark builds off what he did in the playoffs, his offensive options this year are bar none. The offensive sets Schotty can call this year will be vast, and extremely difficult to defend. This team is no longer a one trick pony on offense, and it's going to be exciting to watch.

I've been salivating since we got LT about the possibilities for this offense to open things up. The addition of LT, and the resigning of Leon (fingers crossed) will make for ridiculous 3rd down mismatches. That was before the addition of Holmes! Now that we have Holmes, the offense literally has 3 downs of mismatches. Here are some looks:

Running game: Remember how the holes opened once Braylon was brought in? We still saw some stacked box, but it was opened more than before. That being said, add Holmes into the mix. We will never see a stacked box. Opposing teams will even question themselves on a 3rd and short. Not only will Greene have a big year, this could give LT a running resurgence.

Tight end: Expect Keller to be a real x-factor this season. Safeties will need to pay more attention to one of our three WR's. Throw your best cover LB on Keller, he will most likely beat them to a window. However, put your best cover LB on Keller, and you leave Leon/LT free to roam the LOS.

WR: We now have 3 different types of threats. First, Cotchery can move to the slot where he can continue to be Mark's security blanket. Cotch will never see a double team, and probably be a highly productive option.

Then you have Braylon who can stretch the field (like he did against the Colts), he can work the deep ball and put the safeties back. Doing so will open the running game more, and free up the other receivers.

Now, bring in Holmes. As long as he excepts his role, and Mark can deliver. This trio is one of the best in the league. Keep in mind that Holmes can catch the ball over the middle as well, and then turn on the burners.

I'm at work right now, so I can't get too in depth. But, the possibilities are running through my mind, and the potential is amazing! So if you can think of more positives, add them in. I love to hear about different types of offense! It's the offseason, how about some pre-mature stat guesstimates?

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I was thinking of this set this morning....

Edwards and Holmes wide, LT and Leon in the backfield, then flex Keller out to the slot...who do you cover?

3. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

8 in the box against this team?

Dont think so!
    Run the ball

4. rockyusmc2003

That's what I'm talking about. A good defense can try and compensate. But, those teams who have poor defenses are in EXTREME trouble. That's the part I like the most, because we can put away teams that we SHOULD beat.

5. rockyusmc2003

Keep in mind how difficult this makes it to defend within the 5 yard line.

6. newcomer

newcomer New Member

Where did you say Super Bowl is next year?

7. rockyusmc2003

In all seriousness, I think this offense has the potential to be #1.

One possible downside, Schotty getting TOO creative. But, I think Rex would intervene at that point (as seen last year).

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I say fuck it - let Schotty try anything he wants at this point. The weakest link in the offense at this point would be Mark Sanchez. You have proven receivers, a kick ass TE, and the #1 O-Line.

Even with Edwards dropsies, you still have 3 receivers who can stretch the feild. Good luck with that.

9. rockyusmc2003

Hopefully a full TC with Sanchez and Braylon can cure some of his drops. Seems like he's been with the team working out since Feb, so I hope it pays off.

#9 rockyusmc2003, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

STOP using the word dropsies.

TY-

lol

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Better yet, Edwards and Keller both split wide, and LT/Leon AND Holmes all three in the slot. Yes, the empty nest. And the slot guys are all shifty, so if you are covering the slot guys with LBs, you are asking for trouble. (Especially Holmes vs LB)

Then... LT can always move back to the single back and run from there, if the D puts too many DBs in.

12. rockyusmc2003

I'd start this from single back, so at least you have a blocker/delayed hand off/screen options. Still gives the defense a difficult look, and you can always motion the back.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Frankly, I believe I set should be the base set for this offense; Keller at TE, Holmes/Edwards at WR, and T-Rich at FB and LdT or Leon at tailback. If Greene steps in, that more or less means Jets are running (which is fine by the way) but if LdT or LW comes in, then the offense can almost always change out of I formation and shift into shotgun (Keller/Edwards at split end, T-Rich at the backfield and Holmes/LW in the slot) This might make things a little more interesting.

14. rockyusmc2003

I like the flex options you're talking about. I'd love it out of the hurry up. Although, it would kill our defense to score quickly. They need to work with Greene on his pass catching, so it's not so apparent when he's in the backfield.

15. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Everything is predicated on Sanchez

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The trade makes the Jets truely dangerous to go deep at any moment, and have a ton of very good options in the short passing game with Cotch, Keller, LT, and Leon if he signs.

The Pressure is squarely on the shoulders of Mark Sanchez now. With this many talented weapons he needs to step up and play like he did in the playoffs all season. If the Kid comes through we have a truely special group for at least one season of football.

17. skeleton_frames

Yup. And when you look at how he finished the year in the playoffs, with a positively awesome performance against the Colts, we're in for something good. This QB and team are in for a good run.

Death to the SOJ!

18. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Holmes, Edwards, Cotch, Keller... who do you double team? NONE of them. Cotch is going to being the weakest link of this group and a weak link ANY team would love to have.

DC's are going to have nightmares trying to prepare for this offense. As long as Sanchez is prepared, it's going to be sick.

Then you have to concern yourself with LT, Washington, or Greene out of the backfield too?

Oh MY!!!

Tannenbaum is my new hero!

19. rockyusmc2003

Think of the YAC potential of the short stuff too. Since all of those players will be making space, the YAC is going to be huge!

20. steelzeppelin

steelzeppelin Member

I am looking forward to playing the Pats and Fins this year