OBJ to Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I would LOVE LUV LOVE to have OBJ's talents on our team.

But...(and there's always a but) the Jets are in re-build mode after 10 years of draft fails. We need to find the NEXT OBJ in round 2 or 3 of this draft, playing virtually for free for the next 4 years. Or the next Wayne Chrebet to side with fellow walk-on Anderson.

We have MAJOR contracts coming up soon. Sam is going into his 3rd yr already, and will looking for MAJOR jack after next season. Plus Adams. And then Quinnen a year after that. We need to keep our coin close at hand to sign our own superstars while our next new draft picks take the league by storm with their amazing production.

2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I will pass on OBJ coming here. He is too much of a headache to be worth it. If the Browns trade him then he will be on his 3rd team in a short period of time. What does that tell you. I would rather JD build this team through the draft anyway as that is where the foundation of any team is built. OBJ might be worth it if he was the missing piece to a Jets championship season but that isn't the case.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

No. Nyet. 我不想去. Tla. Kai. Nie. Na. Nu. Venda. Mata. Neh. Ei. Bo. C'mon, I'm running out of languages here.

Just say qay to OBJ.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

True, but I'd be happy if he went there.

5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If the Jets were to take a chance on him, they'd pretty much have to commit to a SB run in the next 2-3 years. Most top receivers hit their peaks in their late 20s and possibly at 30. He could still have some good years after that, but you're not going to get the top tier elite player for many seasons.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

HUGE difference between those Patriot teams with BB as the HC and Brady as the QB and the Jets.

7. ColoradoContrails

Spot on! This is exactly what the Jets need to do. Sadly, based upon my decades of watching this team, I'm skeptical of them doing this. But it's the only hope I have left. If they don't focus on the OL, and adopt a blueprint for this team, as you said, there's no help.

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I dont disagree with your sentiment but Id like to point out that we have exactly 1 super star. Teams that win super bowls seem to have 3, 4, 5 6 superstars. The whole cap thing is so over blown. The Cowboys ( I know they havent won) will most likely be paying huge money this year to Cooper, Dak, Elliot, Lawrence and a couple O lineman. The Rams were in the SB 13 months ago with how many big big contracts?

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Cowboys have been over .500 4 times this decade and made the playoffs in three of those years. Not to mention they were 8-8 last year.

The Rams had only paid Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley and Brandon Cooks the year they went to the SB. Gurley wasn't used in the SB, Cooks might have his career derailed by concussions, the offensive line is crumbling and they strapped themselves with Goff's $33-36 million per year contract and then doubled down on mortgaging their future for Ramsey and likely another $16 million cap hit. They're in a bit of trouble.

The salary cap is real. There's a reason the teams that navigate it right are the ones that experience long term success.

The Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, and Seahawks all have the model down pat. Sometimes you pay guys. If you do, they must be home grown. Sometimes you let them walk or trade them for picks. And you almost never sign big time free agents.

Frank Clark, ZaDarius Smith, LeVeon Bell, etc. The list goes on and on of knowing when to walk away.

10. jonnyd

absolutely you have to manage cap and no when to walk away. The Jets havent had to make to many hard decisions as far as walking away because they rarely have very good players. Darnold is going to have to be paid as well as Jamal. Thats about it. Q? Who knows. Theres plenty of ways to manage the cap. People love to throw out the term " cap hell"......I dont buy into to omuch of that nonsense. Regarding OBJ he got like 40 guaranteed at signing so if we traded for him ( I know we wont) we have to guarantee him like 12 MM this year Not sure what dead money would be if we cut him prior to 2021 but it wouldnt be much I dont think since he would have already receied the boat load of his contract.....Im not cap expert by any stretch so please someone correct me if needed.

The more I think of it, the more I entertain wanting him here. Though I wouldnt give up too much and certainly not what teh Browns would want....soooooooo, whatever

11. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

When you look up "cancer in the clubhouse" there is a picture of OBJ. Literally the last player I'd want on the Jets even if he signed for free.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You mean like NE.

13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Anyone who's paying attention understands this regime doesn't believe in paying skill position players 20 mil a year

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'd love OBJr, However he's now entering his 7th season (time flies) and is already 27 years old.

A.) We'd have to give up way too much for him.
    B.) He'll cost a lot of money $$$ against our cap.
    C.) He's approaching 30 years old (not a young pup anymore).
    D.) We can re-sign Robby Anderson and draft either of Lamb or Jeudy (for less than OBJ, combined).

Hard pass.

Now. If he were simply a FA? I'd jump all over it; however that isn't the case....

15. jonnyd

I
    think hed cost like 18 MM this year....kind of a lot

#55 jonnyd, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Browns are willing to part with their 3rd or higher while eating half his salary, maybe.

#56 Zach, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't even think Belichick thinks OBJ would be a good fit for them at this stage. It's all dependent on Brady coming back of course.

But when Randy Moss went there, Brady was entering his prime. He had a little bit more arm, better deep ball accuracy and mobility.

It obviously produced the best offense of all time. But it was such a low risk trade that it was worth it. He didn't have a huge cap hit at that time if I remember correctly and it was only a fourth rounder.

Something tells me Belichick doesn't feel like going through that without prime Brady and definitely not for a first round pick. I could be wrong.

LAJet and chandler like this.
  18. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

You missed Scottish...Git tae fuck!

Zach and jilozzo like this.
  19. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

All the negative comments about OBJ are true.

But food for thought: this is what buying low feels like!

Again not saying we should sign him but it would be nuts not to kick the tires

our goal should be to buy low and sell high because we're in a capped league. We need more talent/dollar

All Gas No Shake likes this.