NYDN Jets Beat Writer - DJ Bien-Aime Leaves NYDN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CotcheryFan, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

I'm with you. Would be really disappointed if we lost Connor. Never really understood the hate he gets.

REVISion likes this.
  2. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

W
    Well never know, but I always got the impression Saleh and/or Douglas was his source for a lot of stuff.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think Hughes would be going from The Athletic to the NYDN. That feels like a downgrade.

On his podcast, Hughes always struck me as someone auditioning for a broadcasting role. I don't know where he's headed but I'll be surprised if it doesn't involve some kind of broadcasting work.

Hughes was probably the most accurate beat writer we've had in a long time. I'm glad he'll still be covering the team.

Noam and Aero like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

SNY

REVISion likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Young was also a columnist before any of us here were reading when the line of demarcation was clear.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Young was just scum of the earth. He was a sportswriter in the pocket of the team bigwigs who stood firmly on their side against the players. He used to dine with M Donald Grant the Met's GM on a regular basis.

His crusade against Tom Seaver that resulted in one of the top 10 pitchers of all time getting run out of town was a perfect example of what happens when you let people like Dick Young have any influence at all.

I put him just below Hitler and Stalin on the all-time scum and villainy list, likely because I was 15 when he was running the greatest player I'd ever seen play out of town. Seaver's crime? He wanted to be paid a representative wage of the changing times and one that would be pocket change just a few years down the road.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

He is young, talks about himself non stop and dresses horribly. On the surface he comes off as a self centered child screaming for attention but that is likely a product of being so young. If you get past the annoying personality he is a really good, hard working beat writer, with a great personnel story who gives out more information than any other beat writer. His camp practice tweets will be missed a lot. I am really sorry to see him go.

cval likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Young was a columnist hired to write his opinion of what was going on in the world of sports who established himself as a very conservative voice in business matters. Like everything with a political bent to it many either loved it or hated it. His only influence was a bully pulpit which, as you refer to, a fifteen year old might not understand. Young wasn't in the boardroom making salary decisions; he was writing highly regarded commentary that sold newspapers.

9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Connor is the reason I pay for the Athletic even though the Giant beat writer is even better. I don’t watch SNY except for Jet shows so if he’s going there it means nothing to me. I’ll have to see who they get. I liked DJ but the Daily News is impossible to read unless you pay for it. We’re stuck with Cimini and Costello. Oh boy this sucks.

Stevied likes this.
  10. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

BRING BACK MANISH!!!!