NY Times: Interesting Article On George Sauer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wexy, Jul 24, 2013.

1. wexy

wexy Member

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Interesting:

"He was so private that he worked in the store for more than a year before anyone there discovered he was a former football player."

"After he died, a small, private funeral was held in Westerville. Nobody connected to Sauer’s football career attended."

I wonder why none of his SB teamates, including Namath, didn't attend his funeral. That's terrible!

3. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Thank you for posting. It was a nice read!

4. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

Sounds like he had an interesting life. I hope a curre for alheizmers comes along in the near future. I know too many people affected by this.

5. Section 227. Row 5

It doesn't sound like much of an interesting life to me (after football). And it may also be that the depression he experienced and the onslaught of alzheimers may have been accelerated by the hits he took for the NY Jets.

But what shocks me the most about the article is that he died in a little jerkwater town in the middle of nowhere and NO ONE from the NY Jets... not the staff, not the coaches, not his fellow teamates, not even his SB-Winning QB... NO ONE connected with his football career attended the funeral.

Come on. He caught 8 passes for Namath and kept the freaking drives alive against the Colts. Between him and Boozer they kept the DEF on their heels. This guy is a NY Jets football legend. And no-fucking-body goes to his funeral? Outrageous. Woody, hang your head in shame dude. You should have organized (and paid for) a representation of the NY Jets.

#5 Section 227. Row 5, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  6. cdz12250

cdz12250 Member

"His is a sad story about a man who, I think, wanted to achieve greatness and, at the same time, was scared to death of the greatness that he wanted to achieve...”

What is this? "Wanted to achieve greatness?" As if he didn't?

7. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah. The Jets had 193 YDs passing that day compared to the Colts' 181, but of the Jets 193 YDs, Sauer got 133 of them. 8 receptions for 133 YDs and the longest was 39 YDs. Matt Snell had 121 on the ground and 40 in the air, so he had 161 total YDs, but no one else on either side of the ball even came close to those two stats.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196901120clt.htm

The Jets had 21 1st downs compared to the Colts' 18, so there is no doubt Sauer kept drives alive at critical times. He had a 35 YD reception in the 2nd Q but the back breaker was two consecutive catches (11 and 39) in the 3rd Q, keeping Baltimore's DEF on the field and their OFF off the field.

"Wanted to achieve greatness but never did," indeed.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It sounds like that's the way he wanted it.

SBIII CB Jim Hudson passed away last month.

9. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

Sounds interesting to me, guess he was another tortured writer trying to achieve that great American novel. His life was interesting to me cause he was living an unassuming life but had this great football life in his past. It was somewhat of a Forrest Gump existence imho.