NY Jets Flight 23

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Borat, May 18, 2023.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD seems to work really well with these folks. But he is the one making the final decision. It's a team effort, and when it comes to drafting he is the team lead. Hence sometimes I say JD picked, but obviously he is smart enough to listen to his team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, he has the final say so, but if say Saleh and Ulbrich really wanted a certain defensive player and he was there at the Jets pick, I don't think JD would go against them unless he had another player rated a LOT higher. I also think that they share the same vision and the same approach to the draft of going with BPA over need, so at least for the first 2-3 rounds, I think they would pretty much be in agreement.

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If I would’ve replied

“tHat makes ME Think tHems the 3 highest PLaaYers on they board”

Then absolutely. An idiot

Maybe add in delusional. Someone who makes connections to fit their narrative is delusional.

To me it sounds like we didn’t hear the content of the question or the context of the answer options….. but anyway you shake it, Jones was never a target for the Jets at 13 or 15. .

You’ve been sooo bad at drawing accurate conclusions why do you still try?

4. KingRoach

Idk if you talked about this already… in the clip where JD is predicting where those 3 players would be taken and Jones is the last at 14…. Who do you think JD expected to take at 15?

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Thanks for demonstrating incredibly low intellect again. We must make a correction. You cannot be a called a king. A fool is more appropriate.

So, fool, let's recap. Some number of picks before the 15th JD is asking his scouting director: "How do you have Mayer, McDonald, vs Jones?" Jon Carr responds: "1. McD. 2. Mayer. 3. Jones." That, fool, means that JD is thinking about these 3 players and the preference is "1. McD. 2. Mayer. 3. Jones."

Got it? Or still too hard to comprehend? Or the explanation is even simpler. Can't get over getting absolutely embarrassed by me on the draft night with your prediction of Jets not picking a tackle literally right before the Jets picked one with the very next pick. Low IQ Fool indeed.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You did ask this before and I missed it. I know where you’re going with it and to avoid being called a fool and being told I’m getting embarrassed, I’m just going to say I agree with what you’re getting at.

KingRoach likes this.
  7. KingRoach

Lol.

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Borat. So in the 2 posts I quoted you uttered above personal attacks to King Roach. And you did this after my warning on the same thread. Highlighting where you crossed a line here. You are banned 1 week. Once you come back, please try to keep things civil without personal attacks.

SOJAZ, Ralebird, ukjetsfan and 4 others like this.
  9. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Thanks Brook, while he does contribute some pretty good posts it gets tiresome seeing the blatant personal insults on this site. To be honest anyone insulting someone's "intelligence" is usually based on one's own lack of confidence in their argument or stems from a deeper issue. As a matter of fact anyone who mentions IQ typically warrants a chuckle from me as I have never had an IQ test myself but have met some folks that I would consider brilliant minds across the globe that would probably score quite low on an IQ test lol.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I might be dead wrong, but in regards to the 15th pick, irrespective of their collective rankings, JD felt the best value was to trade down a few spots in any case and still get his choice. So if Jones was still on the board, he would have still traded down. I think he felt strongly McD and or Mayer or other equivalent player value was going to be there while capture a good additional pick. If Jones was there at 15th, his ability to trade down would have been much more favorable, I give JD tons of credit for his strategy.

11. KingRoach

With everything that’s come out post draft, I’m surprised you still believe that.

There’s literally a clip of JD predicting McD would be gone by 13 so for you to hold onto the idea he’d be ok with trading down further is definitely…. “Bold”.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, correct me if wrong, but wasn’t JD on the phone to the very last second trying to make a trade before he selected McD. It wasn’t like we jumped to the podium as soon as our number was called. But in any event, I’m happy that JD got who he presumably wanted in the first place. Great pass rushers, much like great OL is the first line of defense.

13. KingRoach

I don’t believe that’s correct. If you have anything showing/reporting that’s the case, please share.

My understanding is is they couldn’t get a hold of McD bc McD thought the 201 number calling was a friend pranking so he kept declining the call. I could be completely wrong with that but it goes on line with McD’s reaction to hearing “its rex from the jets” which was “WHAT?!?!?!”. I could also see the Jets having trouble getting ahold of him and asking Breece to reach out which lines up with the coach getting a call form Breece right about when Rex finally got through.

It’s certainly rumors and speculation but t adds up and I haven’t heard anyone say the Jets we’re looking to trade back…. I have heard a couple times the Jets were looking to trade up….

14. NCJetsfan

Huh? JD didn't trade down. The move from pick #13 to #15 was a pick swap and part of the trade for Rodgers. He stayed put at #15 and took McDonald.

EDIT: With the subsequent exchange with KingRoach, I see where you were coming from. I agree with KingRoach, I don't think that JD was looking to trade down, but can understand why you or anyone think that is the case. I did initially, until I heard that JD was trying to call McDonald and couldn't get him.

Unless JD is just lying about the whole thing regarding McDonald, with his having McDonald rated in the top 12, why would he look to trade down and risk losing him? TE was as much of a non-need as Edge, and JD had already predicted that Jones would be taken before the Jets' pick at #15. In fact, he predicted that Pittsburgh would trade up ahead of them and take Jones.

#74 NCJetsfan, May 27, 2023
    Last edited: May 27, 2023
    KingRoach likes this.
  15. KingRoach

Part of me wishes they never got ahold of MCD bc I’d love to see the reaction of someone who finds out from Roger as their name is being announced.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You guys might be right. Although I remember distinctly watching it and Eisen going back and forth saying why was it taking so long and showing the Jets bullpen with JD on the phone like crazy and Eisen speculating , they must be trying to trade down some, but I might be reading too much into it. I hardly believe JD is lying about his ranking, but watching the action, it wasn’t a let’s just put the selection in, but rather a whole bunch of time on the phone first like if they were considering options.

#76 LAJet, May 27, 2023
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

JD was definitely working the phone, and we couldn't tell what was going on. With the Jets taking so long to make the pick and with Eisen (and probably others on other networks) speculating, it's natural for us to think that he was trying to trade down.The thing is, however, that we know that teams call players before they turn in the card to let them know that they're going to draft them. There's no way the Jets could have turned their card in earlier with JD's inability to reach McDonald. I guess that they would have had to if they had never been able to reach McDonald, but that would have been awkward.

For discussion's sake, let's say that you were right that JD was trying to trade down. That wouldn't necessarily have been a negative towards McDonald. Maybe they did really like him, but hoped to get two players instead of 1 with that pick. The Seahawks had the 20th pick of the 1st round and the 6th pick of the 2nd round. I don't know what the draft trade chart says, but for discussion's sake, let's say that it would be fair or close to fair for the Jets to move down from #15 to #20 and get Seattle's 2nd round pick. Maybe the Jets thought that they could trade with Seattle and get Smith-Njigba and Keeanu Benton, and that would be better than just adding McDonald as it would strengthen the WR corps, giving Rodgers another target and add a very good run stuffer to the D, but Seattle lowballed the Jets and only was willing to give up a 3rd round pick. So the Jets instead, took McDonald. Would that be so awful? It wouldn't mean that the Jets didn't like or want McDonald, that they were overdrafting him, or that they were desperate, just that they thought it would be a better value to add two players, with one of them at a position of need, than add one great prospect at not a position of need.

#77 NCJetsfan, May 27, 2023
    ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

All very good points. Must say as I watch more and more of his college highlights, the more I like this kid. He is tall, great wing span and quicker than hell off the edge. Plus he has no problem going inside too if he has too. Hope we hit the jackpot again with the first pick. And welcome back by the way.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Everything old is new again! If this whole thing implodes it won't be a matter of I told you so. It'll be a matter of, "This surprises you?"

NYJalltheway likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Thanks!