NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Wirfs, Jackson, Lamb, trade down and take Biadasz. Just spitballing a few possible prospects.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There are some other offensive tackles out there in that range. Tristan Wirfs (Iowa), Austin Jackson (USC), Trey Adams (Washington), Walker Little (Stanford - done for the season), Alex Leatherwood (Alabama).

We'll see where we end up and where all those players end up on big boards. Georgia has a really good guard too. I just want the best available offensive lineman. It might work out well for us to end up in 6-10 and let a QB needy team move up to get Eason, Herbert, etc. Then we can trade downs and get two top 64 OL and one WR.

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I agree. I’ve scoured the USC OT and he’s not that great in pass protection.

our realistic candidates will be
    Thomas
    Jeudy
    Young
    Tristan Wirfs

If we don’t go OT, it’s hard to get the LT in later rounds which is the key. Can draft interior OL any other round.

BrickcityJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. WoodyHarrelson

Here are the scenarios I see and it all stems around how we approach LT.

#1: Re-sign Beachum, draft Jeudy or Chase young in R1
    #2: Draft Andrew Thomas and BPA's
    #3: Draft someone like Jeudy...and go after a more risk in OT like Niang (TCU) in Rd2

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Beachum cannot be starting in 2020, we need to get at least one OT, one OG, and a center.

CotcheryFan and jilozzo like this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yup...3/5ths of the line has to be replaced at each position - C, G, T. The only spot that MAY be secure is RT.

7. WoodyHarrelson

The more we win, the more it seems it will be Jeudy, Wirfs or even a trade down. I like Alex Leatherwood a lot...the OT from Bama.

8. CotcheryFan

I'm liking Jackson more and more.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020OT.php
    11/9/19: In speaking to some team sources, they believe that Jackson will be a first-round pick and could be a riser throughout the draft process. Staff with pro teams also saying that Jackson will likely skip his senior year to enter the 2020 NFL Draft.

Evaluators say Jackson is a great athlete with quick feet and excellent agility. He is an easy mover with the ability to bend at the knee and play with good leverage. There are times where Jackson gets away with some mistakes because he is so athletic, and he will need to work on technique for the NFL. He is raw from a fundamentals standpoint, but his skill set is that of a franchise left tackle.

Team sources say that Jackson is a good kid that will interview well in the leadup to the draft, and also will work out well because of his excellent skill set. Earlier this year, Jackson took a leave from the program in order to donate bone marrow to his younger sister, and he has played extremely well since coming back to the Trojans.

Draft this beast.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sounds a looot like Brick. I'd imagine in other scouting reports it'll read "needs to get stronger at the point of attack."

This weekend is a good game to watch him. Cal has a good defense.

10. CotcheryFan

The general consensus is that Thomas is the top OT prospect. I'm trying to get a read on other OT's as it's possible that Thomas gets taken by the time we pick. Jackson looks the part of a LT and his issues look fixable.

11. Trey Adams & the big kid out of Louisville are my guys. I need to see more of Whirfs but im leary on Iowa OTs.

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

One report I read says Wirfs was originally the RT and then stepped in at LT after an injury and has been just as flawless.....

13. CotcheryFan

Interesting, maybe he could be a target. There seems to be no Quenton Nelson prospect who stands out from the crowd, but many very good OT's.

14. Iowa recruits to a prototype up front. They like thick barrell chested guys w lobg arms who can get out in space & fill in their ZBS w good anchor & phone booth quickness for pass pro.

Their Guard/center prospects are great.But not alot of success at pass protecting OT in NFL bc their system doesnt ask for dancing bears who are fluid out in deep pass sets. They try to keep the OTs in short sets as often as they can to play to their strengths.

What we end up w is these overrated OT prospects who are system players who franky play in a conference that usually doesnt have great pass rushers(This season is an exception w Young/Willkes). Robert Gallery,Riley Reiff & Bryan Bullaga are the perfect examples.Great run blockers & tough as nails.But no one is mistaking them as franchise LTs.

Wharfs is gonna have to really impress to overcome that stigma..that includes at the combine.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm curious why. Iowa OL have a great record in the NFL, don't they?

16. Guards yes & the OTs are at least servicable but they are not great pass protectors.See Robert Gallery,Bryan Bulluga & Reilly Reiff.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I thought that Bryan Belaga was supposed to be pretty good in pass protection. The announcers always talk about him like he is, but then again, thinking about how many sacks and hits Rodgers has taken over the last several years, I guess he isn't that good at pass protection. Thanks.

18. I mean he isn't terrible...Packers have had some seasons where they really struggled protecting the QB & he was one of the culprits.

I guess my point is...they usually aren't the ideal guys you wanna take round 1. There's also Mike Haight :)

Now guards? That's a different story. Iowa evaluates/develops interior OL as well as anybody. Eric Steinbach to this day is one of my fav. guard prospects of all time.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

You like them more than Thomas? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I have yet to see Thomas ranked as anything but the top OT prospect.

20. I've been watching Thomas for 2 years now. There's certainly alot to like but I worry about him matching up with undersized speed rushers. He's alittle stiff in space, can lose his composure & his blocking coordination is not the greatest. Am I being picky? Absolutely..but when we're talking potential franchise LT & top 5 pick...you have to be. For every Brick & Joe Thomas there's a Jason Smith & Robert Gallery.

Part of it is who we have at QB. I think it's important to find guys who fit Sam's playing style.Not all OL are created equal.Not by a long shot.

Given the fact that Sam needs a clean surge off the snap to get a good base under him
    & his propensity to extend plays outside the pocket we need OL w. heavy hands/surge off the snap, high motor types who will block through the whistle, guys who stay on their feet, who are hard to get around & can pass block in space on hard angles. Thomas' slight stiffness in space & how his Hands/feet can get out of sync...I worry about his fit w. Sam.

I think Adams is a better overall linemen who would be the unquestioned #1 if not for injuries. I love the Louisville kid as a RT bc he's exactly the type of OL i'm referring to that fits Sam.

CotcheryFan and Zach like this.