NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

a/k/a the "largest outdoor cocktail party in the world" : )

Florida Zuniga and Greenard finally healthy. Fla. #1 in sacks; Ga. fewest sacks allowed. Thomas is a stud.

Fla. TE Kyle Pitts is unstoppable.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I was very impressed with Thomas against those two guys. He stonewalled everyone he faced and he passed off to block blitzers well and he really had no problem with speedy safeties or corners. They slide their protection away from him too and routinely leave him on an island. He also gets to the second level well in the run game.

I think I could see him having some issue against pure undersized speed rushers ala Brian Burns, Bruce Irvin etc. But I think he's going to be a great NFL offensive lineman for a long time.

I also like Trey Adams from Washington a lot but I'd have a hard time trusting his injury history in the top 6. He's had two season ending injuries. I have to watch Wirfs some more to get a good feel for him.

#122 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    joe likes this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Outside of one QB hurry (semi-whiff, 3rd qtr.) and one missed run block Thomas was spotless. He absolutely stoned Shuler.

Tuned in to also check out Jabari Zuniga and Jonathan Greenard jumped out several times on the screen - possible day 2 edge option.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If we pick top 3, the only way I'd move down is if we still have a solid chance at getting Young, Thomas, or Jeudy. I don't think you can pass up the opportunity to draft any of those guys, especially Young.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wonder if Austin Jackson could become a top 10(or a few spots below) pick worth taking if we trade down. Based on what I've read about him, he should be an LT in the NFL.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

His profile reminds me a lot of DBrick. I can't say I've seen a lot of him but I'll keep an eye out next time I watch SC. All scouting reports talk of an excellent kid with superior athleticism who will have to get stronger.

I didn't even realize that he was the player that left the team to donate bone marrow to his sister either. ESPN did a sports center special on it over the summer.

I wonder how scouts view the drop off from Thomas to him and Wirfs.

7. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Watched USC play and I don't like what I see from him in pass pro. He can run block well but idk about him.

8. The issue is, him struggling against undersized speed rushers is a big deal bc defenses will line up those types against him all game every game & weve seen him lose confidence/technique when he hits a bump in the road. If im taking a tackle top 5 he better have the skillset to handle ALL types of rushers OR have the tools to get there. Thats the part im not ready to write off yet.Will improved technique,better physical shape & NFL coaching fix that aspect? Im leaning towards no but we’ll see.His combine/pro day will be very very important.

Trey Adams is the best OT in this class; At least as a pure left tackle. But injuries are a concern.His combine medical exam will be crucial.

9. CotcheryFan

Have you watched Jackson play? If so, what your take on him?

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Right. Do you think it'll be an issue for Thomas? Have you see it be one for him? I mean I can see it being an issue but I haven't. I'll have to keep an eye out as I watch.

He also looks bigger than 320. But sometimes this big guys just engulf speed rushers and if they can give them an initial jab it really stops them in their tracks. Trent Williams is a good example of this.

11. Texas game earlier this season late 2nd qtr through most of the 3rd.He showed some eye opening flaws.There were some other games but im drawing a blank on which..ill go back through as draft time draws closer.

To be fair i wasnt high on Trent Williams either so maybe its just a style preference.

12. Im anxious to see him but havent had the chance. Truthfully im alittle sour on USC players at this point.But id never write a good OT off like that

13. CotcheryFan

I don't blame you for that, but each player should be judged on his abilities, not the school he went to. If he can be a good OT on the blindside in the NFL, I don't care if he went to NJIT.

NYJFOREVER and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

I know it's not our biggest need, but if Cam Akers is available in round 3, I'd consider taking him. He's a good runner and receiver. Montgomery and Powell are FA's after the season and who knows how much longer Bell can play at a high level.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

watching the LSU bama game and at this point QB burrow looks like a sure fire top 5 pick. In fact, he and tua could be 1 and 2. No doubt both of these QB's are starters next year in the NFL.

There is gonna be uber talent in the top ten next year with at least 3-4 QB's.

BTW good to see LSU punch bama in the mouth, so far. IMO saban is a dick.

16. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Great game. Burrow shined in that game. So much talent on the field. Lived up to the hype.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

That game also showcased the plethora of offensive talent that will be available. Henry Ruggs III is one of the most talented receivers in college football and had 3 catches for 68 yards.

I also watched a lot of the Baylor game and keyed in in Denzel Mims and Jalen Reagor. Not huge on Reagor from TCU. He seems to look/get bored if he's not involved. Also doesn't seem great in traffic/contested balls.

I like Mims a lot, only to read some draft boards have him projected as a late rounder/UDFA.

This draft reminds me of 2014 with receivers (and maybe even better) and I realllllly hope we don't end up with the next Shaq Evans.

#137 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. WoodyHarrelson

Jeudy is the real freaking deal too.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

He is, we're just not going to have the luxury to take him. The Dolphins will likely pair him with whichever QB they take.

20. WoodyHarrelson

It’s going to be one of those things where I am fine either way. If we take Andrew Thomas, great. Jeudy, great. I think the question becomes if we win two more games (Bengals and Fins) and we’re move to 6-10, who do we target?