NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I will disagree as well. You still have to rate these players. Not just what we need but everyone and try not to reach. Young, Becton, Wirfs, Lamb, Jeudy, and Okubah are the top 6 of what we need and realistically top 10 picks. Some people add Wills into that. Thomas used to be there and I think he is still good, while I personally don't rank Wills that high and wouldn't take him at 11. If Young, Becton, Lamb, Jeudy, and Wirfs are gone I would absolutely consider Okubah at 11 or trade back.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  2. J-Raw24

Derrick brown is top 10 and not a position of need. I don't rank another defender besides Brown, Young, and Okubah that high. Okubah could be the most solid corner in years. All the other defenders lack production or have big flaws. We have 3 other picks in the top 3 rounds which can easily be used on oline and wr in a deep draft and deep ol fa class. I want Becton. But I don't pass on Okubah for Wills, Jackson, or Jones. They all have boom or bust potential.

#642 J-Raw24, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pass on Okubah for Wills, Jackson or Jones, either, but I WOULD for one of them plus an additional 2nd and 3rd round pick or a 1st round pick next year and a 3rd or 4th this year. I'd also pass on him for Jeudy or Lamb or even for Justin Jefferson for that matter.

4. NCJetsfan

I didn't say one word about "reaching" for anyone.

5. J-Raw24

I think I agree with you. My point was if Young, Jeudy, Becton, Lamb, Thomas and Wirfs are off the table, and no great deal for a 1 + 2 other picks or whatever are there. I take Okubah. There are 10 picks... its possible. I even debate him vs Thomas. I really liked Thomas but I been questioning him lately. As for Jefferson I am not trying to knock him but I've begun to prefer Claypool in the 2nd.

6. NCJetsfan

Yes, I understand your point. Okudah is a great prospect, and if we hadn't been ignoring the OL, WR position and offense in general for all of these years, I'd be quite happy with him as the pick. As things are, I'd take Thomas over him every single time, and Thomas may not even be a good fit for a zone blocking scheme. He's more of a power-based, man blocking scheme and a WCO or short passing attack, but since we're looking for 5 new starters anway, with him we could change from a zone blocking scheme to a man blocking scheme. We could run behind him all day, and would only have to throw short passes most of the time.

I don't think that Thomas has fallen in the eyes of NFL scouts and GMs, but I could be wrong. I think an NFL GM or two are saying they're no longer interested in him or playing up his struggles with speed rushers in hopes that will make him fall to them, and the mockers are moving him down as a result. The only OT I'd rather have than Thomas is Becton. They all have their flaws and technical issues that they need to work on. He's been dominant in the best conference in college football. He's a great drive blocker. Until he works out the kinks in his technique, you could always play him at RT or line Herndon up on his left and between the two of them, they could handle any speed rusher.

Both Jefferson and Claypool are great prospects. Claypool is taller and a hair faster. Jefferson had more production. Jefferson's arms are a little longer, Claypool's hands are a little bigger. Jefferson tied Claypool in the broad jump, so may be a little more explosive. Claypool had a better vertical jump, but should since he's 3 inches taller. Getting one of Beckton and Thomas in the 1st and Claypool in the second is preferable to almost any other combination, so I can understand your preferring Claypool in the 2nd over Jefferson in the 1st. To get Jefferson, we'd have to trade down a little in the 1st round and we'd have to hope that Prince Tega Wanogho fell to us in the 2nd.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article. Got chills at the end of it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Chase Claypool in round 2. Kid is a beast and most importantly he plays with a physicality this team needs

Becton round 1
    Claypool round 2

Joe Douglas, I'll order the round of PBRs for ya

9. BrowningNagle

Edwards-Helaire in round 3. He is tailor-made for modern NFL systems

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm not totally against taking Okudah at 11. We definitely need a CB, maybe two. But, protecting our young QB has to be priority number 1. If Sam has no time to throw, it won't matter if we have prime Revis and Sanders as our CB's. And given how bad our OL is, it'll need FA signings and draft picks to become competent. We'll certainly need an OT even if Beachum is brought back and an IOL even if Lewis is retained. If Becton, Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Jeudy, and Lamb are taken and Douglas can't trade down, I'd be fine with selecting Okudah. Maybe I'm underrating Okudah and overrating the OT's, but the OL has to be addressed with picks before round 3.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

I don't see any way that Okudah is there at 11. He will be gone

NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Rigid and inflexible would be ruling out an entire side of the ball due to the perceived transgressions of past regimes. Douglas can’t operate trying to placate the fans that is up in arms over the last 20 years of drafts. He has to go in and pick the best players he can. If okuda was to be there at 11 he would fit the bill.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

http://turnonthejets.com/2020/03/tu...k-get-to-know-the-free-agent-targets-offense/

Turn On The Jets 12 Pack – Get To Know The Free Agent Targets (Offense)

Joe Caporoso with a Turn On The Jets 12 Pack outlining potential New York Jets free agent targets on offense…

1 – Joe Thuney
    A 27 year old guard who has spent his entire career with the New England Patriots. Thuney has started 64/64 of games over the past four years and gradually developed into one of the best interior linemen in the NFL, who is smack dab in the middle of his prime. Needless to say, he is going to paid. Thuney came in ranked as the 5th overall guard in the NFL last year by Pro Football Focus and is projected to receive a contract that could be in the 12-13 million per year range. The Jets have long been mediocre at guard by leaning too heavily on players like Brian Winters and Kelechi Osemele. Acquiring Thuney would be a massive win for the Jets and paired with Alex Lewis (if they can bring him back), would bring much needed stability to the interior of the offensive line.

2 – Jack Conklin
    The top tackle on the market, who is only 25 years old and already rumored at the top of the Jets wish list. Conklin has started all 16 games in 3 of his 4 seasons (he tore his ACL in 2018) and put together a strong season in advance of free agency that was reminiscent of his All-Pro rookie campaign. There is a reason the Titans didn’t pick up his fifth year option as there are concerns about his consistency (particularly in pass protection) and health but overall he is a plug and play above average starter at right tackle for whoever pays up the roughly 15 million per year it will take to get him. Will he be overpaid? Arguably but that is what free agency is…the next guy up gets a market setting deal and Conklin is the next guy up at right tackle. If the Jets can land him, it is likely he will be paired with a rookie at left tackle, giving Sam Darnold two new long term bookends.

3 – Breshad Perriman
    A popular name with Jets fans as a Robby Anderson replacement, Perriman closed last season on a tear in Tampa Bay’s pass happy offense, setting career highs in yards (645) and touchdowns (6). A first round disappointment to date, the 26 year old Perriman has a good combination of size and speed but outside of a few games last year and a few moments in Cleveland during the 2018 season, he has been pedestrian at best (he has 5 other touchdowns spread throughout his three seasons). He is a reasonable player to take a short term flier on and will be much cheaper than Anderson but assuming he can be a productive 16 game starter is risky.

4 – Graham Glasgow
    A 27 year old interior linemen, who has started 47 games over the past three years for the Detroit Lions, with the last 31 coming at center (he also has left guard experience). Glasgow is a perfect Plan B option for teams who do not land Thuney and should be about 5-6 million per year cheaper. The Jets have long been short on talent, depth and versatility on the inside. Glasgow could be a Brian Winters replacement or a Jonotthan Harrison replacement and despite not being a “name” player, would be a pragmatic, solid addition.

5 – Connor McGovern
    A somewhat similar player to Glasgow, the 26 year old has started at both guard and center. McGovern started 31 games over the past two years for the Denver Broncos, including 16 last year at center. He is projected to receive somewhere around 8-9 million per year and could be a higher ceiling replacement for Harrison at center. Like Glasgow, he isn’t a big name player but is the type of signing that would solidify a major weakness for the Jets.

6 – Halapoulivaati Vaitai
    A popular name with Jets fans because he has started a few games in recent years with the Eagles, where Joe Douglas was previously. Vaitai is best served as a swing backup at tackle, rather than someone you’d bet on to start 16 games. Depth is a good thing but he is a major step down from Conklin if the Jets cannot land him. You can make a case he’d be a better starting option than Chuma Edoga or Brandon Shell, though.

7 – Andrus Peat
    A former first round pick, the 26 year old guard (he has also started at tackle) has started a declining number of games each of the past four seasons. He started 10 for the Saints last year. Peat has been an up and down player that has struggled to stay healthy but should make well less than 10 million per year on the open market. A fallback option who would still be an upgrade over Brian Winters, who the team is also considering retaining.

8 -Rashard Higgins
    A 25 year old receiver who flashed consistently during Baker Mayfield’s rookie season, when he racked up 572 yards and 4 touchdowns. He struggled to stay healthy and get targets in last year’s messy Browns season. There are rumors Cleveland will push hard to get him back but if he hits the open market, he could be a worthwhile investment that pans out into a competent starter, who is reliable for Sam Darnold.

9 – Quinton Spain
    A 28 year old offensive guard who started 16 games for the Buffalo Bills last year and 15 the year before for the Tennessee Titans. The Bills will likely push to retain him but if he hits the market, Spain is a solid second tier option to add competition and experience to the interior offensive line. He is also likely to be a lower cost option than many of the names listed above.

10 – Emmanuel Sanders
    A popular name associated with the Jets because of his history with Adam Gase. Sanders will be 33 years old next season and faded down the stretch for the San Francisco 49ers last year. He hasn’t been a 1,000 yard receiver since 2016 and has struggled to stay healthy in recent seasons. He would be a more expensive veteran leader for the receiver room than Demaryius Thomas was last year while providing more upside. The sizzle is more than the steak at this point and the Jets would be wise not to overpay while trying recapture an old Broncos offense.

11 – Nelson Agholor
    A former first round pick who has been inconsistent for the Eagles and is regularly linked to the Jets because of…Joe Douglas. Prior to last season, Algholor put up back to back seasons over 700 yards and did score 8 touchdowns in 2017. He would provide some size in the slot but could be redundant with Jamison Crowder and Chris Herndon working the seams.

12 – Paul Richardson
    A fallback speed option for the Jets if/when Robby Anderson walks in free agency. The 27 year old didn’t do much the past two years in Washington (he averaged 250 yards and 2 touchdowns per season), while missing 15 games. The Jets would be betting on him recapturing the production he had with Russel Wilson in 2017, when he eclipsed 700 yards and scored 6 touchdowns. A thoroughly meh/JAG option.

I think this is a pretty good list of potential offensive FAs. Some of the names we've talked about, but there are a couple more that I haven't seen anyone mention.

14. NCJetsfan

Yes it would be, but I haven't totally ruled Okudah out. If all four of the top OTs, Lamb and Jeudy were gone at #11 and no trade down deal could be made, I'd take Okudah, I wouldn't reach for an offensive player.

I didn't say that Douglas should operate to placate fans. That's your insinuation, not my reality.

15. BrowningNagle

Richardson would be a good replacement for Robby Anderson. He is not that much different and considerably cheaper

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

These are your words bringing up the last 10 years. These picks mean nothing, or should mean nothing , to joe d.

17. BrowningNagle

I could not disagree more!!!!

A huge part of being a general manager is evaluating your own talent and balancing the roster. The fact that his predecessor loaded up on defense should be foremost in his mind as he tries to fix this flawed roster.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The 3 biggest building blocks of a football team are:
    1. The QB
    2. Protection for the QB
    3. Players who can knock down the opposing QB

We have the first(hopefully). The second has been criminally neglected for a while. The third has a solid player or two, but no real standout threat. If all things were equal, Okudah would be the no brainer pick. But, they aren't and the OL needs an infusion of young talent more than the CB's do. That's not to say that CB doesn't need to be addressed, just that it's not the highest priority. Being a former OL himself and saying how important it is, I expect Douglas to go after an OT in round 1 if one he likes is available.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Again, I disagree, because those picks have resulted in the Jets not even having an NFL-level offense and a completely unbalanced team. It his job to remedy that situation. Picks aren't made in a vacuum, or at least shouldn't be. Any GM with at least half a brain is going to take into consideration the needs of his team, what has happened in previous drafts, chemistry, and many other factors. It's not just about adding random talent regardless of need and position. That's what Mac did. If I didn't know you better, I'd say that based on your comment, I guess that you are a big fan of Mac and was sorry to see him get fired. Yet I know that isn't true. You weren't a fan of Mac. Hence your comments on this don't make sense.

#659 NCJetsfan, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-...-worst-offense-by-conquering-ugly-trend-at-wr

How putrid has the Jets WR core been? I'll tell you Jeremy Kerley was the best WR we had by stats since 2011. Like Kerley alot but the Jets whiffed on a ton of guys. I think they should go OL in free agency and draft offense. Grab a WR in the first, maybe a TE in the 3rd. No time wasting with developing a OL. They be up to speed this year. Time to score some points .