NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I have the 'intestines' to call out names. Seems however I call out 'names' and the next thing I know I'm getting PM notices from a mod telling me that some (not you) bloviating windbag reported a post and to put a sock in it or else. You want names, here goes: in a nutshell, this board's Draft Section" has been hi-jacked by you and the "first person singular" twins J-Raw24 & NCJetsfan. As for those two, I pretty much smirk because neither of them are more than "copy and paste" pundits, however you who pride yourself on your draft acumen have gotten preachy (a la WW85) and as a result while I acknowledge your opinion (and anyone else's), I don't necessarily respect it on the highest of levels anymore. In this case you're telling the TGG unwashed masses where he's playing and where he's going to be drafted ..... but you haven't seen much of him.

Got it.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Joe mad?

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Travis Etienne is staying in school, I don't think it's the right decision but it's not my decision to make. My guess is he feels he has unfinished business at Clemson.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He seems like a good kid. I hope he doesn't suffer the same fate as Gurley and Willis McGahee in college and have to really prove his worth come draft time next year.

NYJFOREVER and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He won't be eligible for this year's draft, but after watching a video of Kyle Pitts highlights, I see a guy who is a matchup nightmare wherever he's lined up. He might be too good to pass up if he's available when we pick in 2021.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Cimini is at it again, but I have to hand it to him, at least he's accurate this time with his title. LOL

"Woe" line is totally apt and appropriate.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-...use-nfl-draft-free-agency-to-rebuild-woe-line

How Jets can use NFL draft, free agency to rebuild woe-line
    6:00 AM ET

The New York Jets have spent the better part of the past year celebrating two of the biggest names in their offensive line history. Former center Kevin Mawae, a star in the late 1990s and early 2000s, was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August. The late Winston Hill, Joe Namath's most trusted blocker in the Super Bowl III era, soon will have a bust in Canton, as he was selected last week for enshrinement.

Hooray for the past.

As for the present, the word "bust" holds a different meaning.

Due to injuries and ineffectiveness, the Jets started nine different offensive line combinations, and not one of them performed at a high level. They finished 31st in run blocking and 30th in pass protection, according to Football Outsiders analytics, setting the stage for major offseason changes. They figure to have at least three new starters in 2020, as general manager Joe Douglas -- in his first offseason with the team -- looks to repair the broken line via free agency and the NFL draft.

"Moving forward, the line of scrimmage is always going to be a priority here, and so it's definitely going to be something that we're going to look to improve every year," said Douglas, a lineman from his days playing at the University of Richmond.

For a change, the Jets need to rebuild through the draft. During the current nine-year playoff drought, they have drafted eight linemen, but none higher than the third round. They've always invested heavily in free agency. In fact, the Jets have been a top-10 team in offensive-line spending in each season of the drought, according to ESPN salary data.

And what has all that free-agent buying reaped? One winning season and not a single All-Pro selection. (Center Nick Mangold was an All-Pro in 2010.)

From 2008 to 2010, the Jets used a mix of draft and free agency to construct arguably the best line in the league. They have to get back to that formula. Once they have the horses up front, they need more creativity in the running game, as 68% of their rushes went up the middle/between the guards -- the NFL's second-highest rate, per Football Outsiders.

The good news for the Jets (11th overall pick) is the April 23 draft will have a handful of high-quality linemen, and recent history suggests they will land a good one. Of the 35 linemen drafted in the top 11 since 2000, 13 have made multiple Pro Bowls.

A closer look at how Douglas can rebuild the line:

Left tackle
    2019 starter: Kelvin Beachum (free agent)
    Georgia's Andrew Thomas is generally regarded as the draft's best left tackle. He's a plug-and-play prospect with exciting upside, but there's a decent chance he will have boated to the commissioner's stage in Las Vegas by the time the Jets are on the clock. The other premier left-tackle prospect is Louisville's Mekhi Becton, a massive player (listed at 6-foot-7, 369 pounds) with scary athleticism. Talent evaluators are all over the map on Becton because he's so raw. Houston's Josh Jones, impressing at the Senior Bowl, is a fast-rising name to watch. He's a natural pass protector.

The Jets could do a lot worse than Beachum (who will turn 31 by next season), who finished third among tackles in pass-block win rate (hold a block at least 2.5 seconds), per NFL Next Gen Stats. The line crumbled when he missed three games with an ankle injury, highlighting his value. The Jets are sending mixed signals on their interest in Beachum, probably because they want to keep their options open.

Solution: Sign Beachum to a two-year contract, with an easy escape after one year. He would provide insurance and stability, protecting quarterback Sam Darnold's blind side while their first-round pick (assuming it's a lineman) gets experience at another position in 2020. Thomas, it should be noted, played right tackle as a freshman.

Left guard

2019 starter: Alex Lewis (free agent)

Lewis, who replaced the injured Kelechi Osemele (released), was their most consistent lineman until minor injuries took their toll. It still was a solid season, as he finished 11th among guards in pass-block win rate. Know this: Douglas has an affinity for Lewis because he traded for him last training camp, knowing he couldn't trust Osemele -- acquired by the previous regime -- to stay healthy. Chances are he will try to re-sign Lewis.

The big-name option in free agency is New England Patriots left guard Joe Thuney, who hasn't missed a game in four years. He was an elite pass protector last season, finishing second among guards in PBWR.

Solution: Thuney will cost a fortune because the guard market has exploded in recent years -- he could fetch at least $13 million per year -- but he'd be a safe investment because of his age (27) and durability. If the Jets make a big splurge on the offensive line, it should be Thuney.

Center

2019 starter: Jonotthan Harrison

Let's not forget what happened last summer: Douglas was so desperate for a starting center that he lured Ryan Kalil out of retirement and cast aside Harrison -- a bad idea, as it turned out. Douglas warmed to Harrison after watching him start the final 10 games, but there's no indication he believes Harrison is the long-term answer. He has value because he's affordable ($2.25 million cap charge) and can play multiple positions, but the Jets must upgrade the position.

The Jets haven't drafted a center since Mangold in 2006. It's time.

Solution: The top center in the draft is Wisconsin's Tyler Biadasz. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. believes he's a potential top-20 pick, while others rate him as a late first-rounder or second-round prospect. He could be a 10-year anchor for the team that picks him. With four picks in the first three rounds, they should be able to find a starting-caliber center.

7. NCJetsfan

Right guard
    Brian Winters, Tom Compton (free agent)

Winters, recovering from shoulder surgery, could be a cap casualty as he heads into the final year of his contract. Dude is a warrior, but his body has absorbed a beating over the years. The Jets can clear his entire $7.5 million cap charge off the books by releasing him. Compton is a replacement-level player.

Solution: The Washington Redskins' Brandon Scherff will generate the most buzz because he's a 2015 first-round pick (No. 5 overall) with three Pro Bowls on his résumé, but his injury history has to be a concern -- 15 missed games over the past three years. Someone will make him one of the highest-paid guards, but the Jets would be wise to save the money and target a second-tier free agent such as the Detroit Lions' Graham Glasgow, who can play guard and center.

Right tackle
    2019 starters: Brandon Shell (free agent), Chuma Edoga

They will move on from Shell, who was a turnstile (10 sacks allowed, per Next Gen Stats). He lost his job to the rookie Edoga, but wound up starting 11 games because of injuries. The coaches like Edoga's potential as a pass protector, but he really struggled (seven sacks). They can't make him the RT1, can they?

Solution: Iowa's Tristan Wirfs and Alabama's Jedrick Wills Jr. are first-round prospects who played right tackle in college. Neither project as a left tackle, according to most evaluators, but there's nothing wrong with taking a permanent right tackle with the 11th pick. Wirfs is intriguing because he's a top run blocker, and the Jets need some punch in the running game.

Bottom line: The Jets need to collect as many good linemen as possible, and it's a bonus if they have position flexibility.

8. NCJetsfan

On Turn on the Jets, Clayton Smarslok who was there in Mobile, said that the scuttlebutt is that the Jets will definitely not be taking a WR in round 1.

NYJetsO12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's smart cause they'll be able to get a pretty good receiver in the 2nd round that can come in and immediately contribute.

Herbert looked good at the Senior Bowl, hopefully his stock increased and is now in the top 10. Might have 3 or 4 QBs go early.

10. NCJetsfan

If they are set on not taking a WR in the 1st round, I wonder what they'll do if Becton, Wills, Wirfs and Thomas are all gone at #11? I sure hope that they wouldn't take an edge rusher or CB. I think the pick HAS to be offense.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

We will have a shot at one of those guys.

FJF likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I sure hope that you're right! I have a feeling that OL are going to fly off the board this draft moreso than ever before.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...top-7-nfl-draft-winners-from-week-of-practice

2020 Senior Bowl: Top 7 NFL draft winners from week of practice
    • By Chase Goodbread and Lance Zierlein NFL.com
    • Published: Jan. 23, 2020 at 08:21 p.m.
    • Updated: Jan. 25, 2020 at 08:09 p.m.
    7 biggest winners from the week of Senior Bowl practices

Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame. I really enjoyed watching Claypool on tape and couldn't wait to see him perform in person on the Senior Bowl stage. I was not disappointed, and neither were the NFL evaluators in attendance. Not only does he look the part of a big, imposing receiver, he showed off how fluid and natural he is with his movement. He snatched the ball away from his frame with strong hands and created separation using his size and athleticism. The easy comparison for him is former teammate Miles Boykin, who had the same type of size and explosiveness, but Boykin went to the Baltimore Ravens at the end of the third round in last year's draft. Claypool may not last that long now. I think he pushed himself into Round 2 this week.

Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma. Gallimore benefited from Oklahoma's slanting, stemming defensive front that allowed him easier access to gaps and edges, but his production was still somewhat average. Personnel directors and scouts I spoke with worried about his ability to create disruption on his own. This week, Gallimore may have put some of those concerns to rest. He opened the door for teams to view him differently, at minimum. The former Sooner was able to translate his trademark high energy and athleticism into frequent pocket pressure in one-on-one drills. He also helped muddle lanes vs. the run. Gallimore might be a somewhat polarizing prospect, but this was a good week for him.

K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State. The Hill game tape that I watched was just OK. There weren't a bunch of reps that allowed him to stand out as anything more than a solid slot receiver, but the Senior Bowl was a much different story for him. You know who was in a similar position at this same event in 2019? None other than Hill's former teammate, Terry McLaurin, who burst onto the scene a year ago with a big Senior Bowl week before his fantastic rookie season with the Washington Redskins. Like McLaurin, Hill consistently put cornerbacks in the spin cycle with great releases and well-disguised routes. His footwork was crisp getting in and out of breaks. Hill doesn't have McLaurin's speed, so he may not see the exact same climb that McLaurin did, but he clearly put himself on the map.

Josh Jones, OT, Houston. There has been buzz building around Jones from the midpoint of the 2019 season, but this was going to be a big week for him. Would he continue the momentum or fall behind others at his position? Jones struggled to find his footwork and consistency on Day 1 here in Mobile, but he stood out on Day 2 with strong reps, stoning rushers in pass protection and sustaining run blocks on the second level. On the final day of practice, Jones had impressive victories over North Carolina's Jason Strowbridge -- another big winner this week -- including a pancake at the end of a one-on-one rep. He heads toward the NFL Scouting Combine with great momentum, and should only help his case even more with his athletic testing.

Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina. Kinlaw shut it down after Wednesday's practice in what appeared to be a precautionary measure, but he probably made money just by walking across the stage at the Senior Bowl weigh-in on Tuesday. His frame is well muscled and carries excellent lean mass along with the arm length of an offensive tackle. Showing up and looking good was the easy part, but he announced his presence with authority over his two days of participation with aggressive forward charges that overwhelmed most blockers in one-on-one drills. Kinlaw isn't the most skilled rusher at this point, but it was hard to look at him operate and not start to see similarities with Kansas City Chiefs standout Chris Jones. Kinlaw always had the traits, but the way he dominated the competition here in Mobile likely propelled him into the middle of the first round.

Jason Strowbridge, DE, North Carolina. Strowbridge can be a challenging evaluation on tape because he has the long frame with growth potential that teams typically gravitate toward, but he is a bit of a tweener from a positional standpoint. This was an important week for Strowbridge to help teams visualize a role for him in their scheme. It looks like that's exactly what he did. He played with skilled, strong hands at the point of attack and in activating finishing moves to get past pass protection in one-one-one drills. The Lions' Matt Patricia, who is coaching Strowbridge's North team this week, paid plenty of attention to the former Tar Heel, which makes sense considering his level of play in practice and the similarity of his build/skill set relative to guys like Trey Flowers and Deatrich Wise, whom Patricia coached in New England (as well as in Detroit, in Flowers' case).

Tyler Bass, K, Georgia Southern. Yes, a kicker generated some buzz this week. Bass kicked with tremendous power during his college career, but sometimes his skyball trajectory took distance off his longer field goals tries. Well, those concerns are a thing of the past now. On Tuesday, Bass banged home all six of his field goal attempts at the end of practice, including a 54-yarder. On Thursday, he did miss a 58-yard try that smacked against the left upright, but the kick would have been good from well past 60 yards had he hit it about eight inches further to the right. That's called helping your cause.

-- Lance Zierlein

LAJet likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

15. Jonathan_Vilma

I would take him in the third no problem. Even if he ends up sucking it wasn't a bad try. He could end up being this years version of Elvis Dumervill.

Edge rusher production in college should never be ignored. As much as you need the physical attributes and technique to continue to be a good NFL pass rusher, a lot of the position is relentlessness and motor. Suggs is like the poster guy for the lesser athlete that was a great defender (even though he was a high pick).

Sign me up for Weaver that late.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

I guess I'm not sure where NFL teams see a lack of athleticism in Weaver. Boise State is fun to watch. They have a stud ball hawk corner that will go in the first round next year too if he has a good year (Jalen Walker).

A highlight tape is a highlight tape and he wasn't playing against all world tackles. But he slaps tackles hands down well and shows a couple spin moves showcased in this highlight reel. If you can, identify which player he is and then go back and start the play over. Watch his first step. Probably the most critical for a pass rusher. It's fast.

And he did this for 3 years.

GWjet and J-Raw24 like this.
  17. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I've been impressed with Kenny Willekes. A little small for a 4-3 DE and technique needs a bit of work, but he's got a fucking motor. He'd be one to consider in the 2nd round.

18. 101GangGreen101

I've seen a few of his cut ups, can play some zone as well. He could be a nice piece for Gregg Williams. I don't see star but I see a big time role player.

If he drops, I'd take him in the 3rd.

19. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't take either Weaver or Willekes. IMO both are too much like Jenkins. Neither are fast or that athletic, and while they may have some results with their effort and hustle, I don't think either will have that big of an impact in the NFL.

If we draft one, we are committed to him for at least a couple of years (barring that he's a repeat of Polite). I'm certain that there will be a better WR, OL or RB prospect that would be a better choice than one of those two. Besides, I'm hoping that we sign Matthew Judon in FA and then there will be no need to draft an edge.

NYJetsO12 likes this.