Now What??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longislandjetfan, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Gas up the planes

2. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Now what? Go 0-16 and get a top pick. This season was lost before it began because Mac prioritized a RB over building a quality O-line. Only a garbage GM would do that. Hopefully, Darnold sits out the entire season.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Douglas puts his friendship with Gase over the team, he belongs on the same trash list as Idzik and Mac. What the plan should be going forward is simple, as long as Darnold returns in the next month. Let Gase have a few weeks with Darnold. If the offense markedly improves, keep Gase at least through the end of the season. If not, fire Gase and Loggains with a few weeks left and make Williams HC and Cooter OC. Then let Douglas pick his coach this offseason, and if we're picking high enough, consider taking a new QB depending on how Darnold does with Cooter.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

IMHO we better be drafting either Andrew Thomas or else OT-X that has emerged along the way between now and draft time that the Jets have determined to be even better than Andrew Thomas.

Otherwise I'm at least in the fan symbolic sense going to be purchasing friggen rope from the hardware store!

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Until a DL who's too good to pass up emerges. o_O :p

94Abraham and tomdeb like this.
  6. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The funny thing is Gase probably thought that it could not get any worse than the garbage he dealt with in Miami. Boy, was he wrong.
    That intentional delay of game penalty at the end of the Bucs-Giants game reminded me of the Jets-Steelers playoff game in '04 when the Jets severely screwed up the last series in regulation and failed to get closer for Brien's game winning FG attempt. Bruce Arians pulled a Herman Edwards and went full retard.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It will take a few years to get past MacCagnan's ineptness and completely rebuild this team. We have the worst OL in football although it is the second-highest paid. We have no real WRs to speak of, no pass rush and fringe CBs. You can't waste your draft for 5 years like Mike MacNuts did grabbing high picks Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Chis Hackenberg, Lo Maulden and other pieces of crap already out of football and still compete in today's NFL. I don't even know if the jets will beat the dolphins this year.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree and think you aren't being realistic. No one is going to humiliate their best friend by firing him mid-season. Even if Douglas determines that Gase should go, he won't fire him until after the end of the season at the earliest, and with the shitty OL that had almost no practice time together prior to the season and lackluster WR corps, Gase has a good explanation why his offense has struggled. Just because he doesn't fire Gase when you think he should doesn't mean that he is putting friendship over what's best for the team.

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

My opinion only, but I think Gase is safe until the end of the 2020 season. The reason: I think the jets still owe $$ to Bowles and Maccagnan for this year and next, don't they? I doubt Woody and Chris would have 2 ex-coaches on the payroll--one is embarrassing enough.

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

And make sure, like Maccagnan did, that the drafted DL excel in a 4-3 defense, while your team plays the 3-4 defense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

It wasn't just Mac it was that fool he replaced.. you have a decade of non drafting and this is what we have. AS for Douglass firing AG, that falls to our fearless leader CJ and unless he and that other idiot in England have a epitome and say they need a EVP of FB operations, then we are in quagmire called NYJ ORG structure.

If I was the GM - ha ha - I would go to CJ and say, look I think AG is a good coach but so far he is not working out and he seems reluctant to change his game to suit his players. That being said, I would give him the remainder of the season to right the ship meaning that the team needs to became competent (which they are not right now) and competitive... in essence show progress. However, that being said, if they continue to fail after we get our players back and the team is lack luster, play calling is poor, etc. , then he needs to go before the end of the year and we replace him with GW for the remainder of the year. Then let me select the next HC.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Memo

To: Chris Johnson:

The next time Peyton Manning is on the phone, DO NOT take the call.

#72 Since1969, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Where you honestly thinking the Jets had a chance yesterday and that Falk would light up the Patriots defense and propel the Jets to victory? Threads just get worse and worse and worse on here. No substance at all.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

they gave up 32 pts toa rookie QB with no RB in the 2nd half. Bowles prepared his D for Eli not Jones and bootlegs and RPOs I guess? Bowles is a clown and the D was terrible yesterday

15. HomeoftheJets

I won't accuse Douglas of nepotism if he doesn't fire Gase midseason. I'll only do that if Gase is the coach in 2020 despite all indicators being that he doesn't deserve it. Having said that, if I were GM, I'd give serious thought to firing Gase midseason if the offense continues to suck with Darnold back. That's because we'll need to decide whether to draft a new QB, and we won't be able to evaluate Darnold in Gase's offense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

Not all revenue is shared. So ownership may lose more money by keeping Gase than paying a new coach. As for embarrassment, being a joke team is more embarrassing than a few extra million in dead money.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Where did you see that Gase and Douglas were "best friends"? I've only heard that they were friends in the sense of colleagues.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I shouldn't have said "Best friend," but rather very close friends, or one of his best friends. I read it in numerous articles back at the time before Douglas was hired and immediately following.

19. NCJetsfan

That's fine. I'm going to give Douglas the benefit of the doubt regardless what he decides regarding Gase. He is the most respected person the Jets have ever hired outside of Weeb and Parcells. I trust what he knows over what I and a bunch of fans on a fan site know. Douglas is the only hope this team has now outside of Darnold. What makes you think they'd hire anyone more qualified or respected than Douglas if they fired him? They'd probably go right back to hiring schlubs like Mac. IMO you shouldn't even be remotely thinking about firing Douglas. Geez he hasn't even had a draft and FA period yet.

tomdeb likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

I'm not remotely thinking about firing Douglas. There's a difference between criticizing a guy and wanting him fired. I don't even want to fire Gase yet. Though if I had to bet, I think I'm going to want Gase fired in a month or two.

Ralebird and Jets69 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.