Now, about those 2 AFCCG's...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 24, 2012.

1. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

I agree with points being made on both sides of this argument. Yes, it's a bit of a losers mentality to be citing AFCCG appearances (and subsequent losses) as some accomplishment. That being said, they were accomplishments.......Year 1, rookie QB and rookie coach, beating a solid #2 seed in the Chargers....and having a lead on the Colts until Peyton time took over. Year 2, beating Colts and Pats on the way, and spotting Steelers 24, before deciding to play.

Making the title games is no easy task.....and generally speaking, as was on display this weekend, the title games come down to breaks,turovers/a little luck. Fact of the matter is you gotta be good to be lucky......Pats and Giants both are.....and both could have, and really shuould have lost this weekend (especially the friggin Pats).

Jets never quite good enough on the road to get those breaks.

Giants will crush the Pats in this Super bowl, 34-20 write it down........the only good thing about his SB is that one of them loses. I wouldn't mind seeing Brady and Belichek beside themselves walking off the field with another loss to the Giants

also too many ex Jets on that Pat roster (FU Ellis, Woodhead, Ighedibo)

Let's go Giants (but FU Giant fans)..

woops Weathorford, is on the Giants....it's getting all messed up in my head

#81 tcrock, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Mr. Green Pants

Quit pretending you aren't foaming at the mouth over the Jets playing in New Jersey!

3. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

AFCE team all-time records in AFCCG's:

Pats: 6-1
    Bills: 4-0
    Phins: 5-2
    Jets: 0-4

4. Mr. Green Pants

I should point out, I'm a Jet fan that lives near Albany, in an area where the Bills' connection to central New York football fans isn't considered great enough to even put their games on regular TV unless one of the Jersey teams is off. :)

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That's the next step

Weatherford is on the Giants along w/ Kareem McKenzie, Danny ware was cut by the Jets before playing a game,

Buffalo is 4-1, they lost to Cincy in '88

Mia and Buf would kill to play in an AFC Title Game. These are 2 teams w/ 1 combined playoff app since 2002 and one combined playoff win since 2001. It sucks that we lost but it was so much fun having a chance to play for the right to go to the SB. Eventually we'll break through, hopefully sooner than later.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's always the next step, until the Jets fall back down the stairs like an old woman with a trick hip.

7. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

i knew you'd be there to correct the Weathorford gaffe...but I already edited it...so eat it

8. tommytom

tommytom Banned

What sucks more is the Jets were totally unprepared to play Pittsburgh. Trailing 20 to 3 at the half to a team they beat in the regular season shows their lack of experience and a lack of coaching. Teams have a window of opportunity. They must seize the opportunity. Sadly the Jets window may have closed. They were clearly capable of beating the Steelers. The Jets blew their horn so loudly after beating the Patriots that they came in and looked like they thought they could just show up and beat Pitt.

9. nyjunc

It was 24-3 at the half, I do think they ran out of gas after the Pats win but it's not b/c they were tooting their horns. They came out flat and started playing when it was too late.

The window is very open especially since the top AFC teams aren't as good as a few years ago. This team has an excellent young core to build around. The problem is in this information culture we have it's always what have you done lately and what you have done defines you and people act like the team will be going down b/c they had one 8-8 season. Teams get good and bad quickly in this league. The 2 SB teams last combined to win a playoff game in 2007, the 2 NFC title game teams weren't in the playoffs the 2 years prior. If the Jets make the right moves they'll be a contender again. This is not a difficult fix.

10. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe Banned

Not me. As I've said here before, Miami had a very long stretch of being a perennial playoff team and coming up short of a SB win. Just playing in an AFCCG isn't enough despite our drought. SB or bust!

Yeah, I used to think like that too. At some point, it gets old and just being in the playoffs stopped being special.

11. tommytom

tommytom Banned

Excellent young core. The running game is average, the receivers below average and a 20 something ranked qb. Yeah an excellent young core. Just wait until Revis holds out again or did his less than stellar play show he may not have leverage anymore. No one is going to lay down like the Colts did and let the Jets in the playoffs anymore. Bart Scott lol.

12. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

The two appearances are nothing to hang our hats on. The only thing it does is shows us as a franchise we're slowly getting better but to brag about it to Pats fans and other franchises looks pretty damn stupid. That tweet the Giants sent out in regards to us sums it up all perfectly.

With that said, if the Jets make the Super Bowl and win, I'm letting some assholes hear it. Especially Giants fans.

13. tommytom

tommytom Banned

No curse words. play nice

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Comming in second place 4 years in a row is now considered a dynasty?:rofl2:

We lost the last 2 years to second place teams. Winning a SB is about being a team good enough to win a SB. There is nothing to indicate that Rex and Tanny can put together that kind of team.

15. tommytom

tommytom Banned

Yes there is and I have proof. Eli won in his 4th year and mark's numbers are similiar. Mark will win in his 4th year.

16. nyjunc

I think you are lying, your team hasn't been in a title game since 1992 and you haven't won a playoff game since 2000. We missed the playoffs this year and as painful as it is losing a title game it's much more fun knowing you have a chance to play for the SB rather than the season ending in week 17(or week 4 in Miami's case:grin:)

Those Miami teams on the late 90s-early 00s were never good enough to compete for SBs, this Jets team has been and will be again.

Why are you here? go post on a Giants board and sicuss the SB w/ your fellow fans.

Sanchez
    Mangold
    Brick
    Greene
    Keller
    Holmes
    Kerley
    Slauson
    Pouha(assuming we re-sign him)
    Wilkerson
    Harris
    Revis
    Cro

We have more than enough to build arouind and fix this quickly.

yeah, 3 years together they have 2 title game apps but they are so far from SB contention that it's impossible to envision them ever winning one. W/ your Giants I'm sure you knew Coughlin and reese would win one in 2007 or the last 3 years not winning playoff games aor making the playoffs(the last 2) you knew the 9-7 Giants could win another SB this year.

17. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I think it says a lot about the low expectations of this franchise that they speak about those back to back "appearances" as some shining accomplishment.

Kind of ironic that a coach that constantly talks about winning the SB every year is so proud of coming up short.

18. tommytom

tommytom Banned

Sanchez - 23rd ranked passer
    Mangold
    Brick
    Greene - #13 in rushing yards huge 31 yard long run
    Keller - little upside. good but reached peak.
    Holmes - elite if you like whiners and no team chemistry
    Kerley our Victor Cruz 29 catches elite in year 2
    Slauson
    Pouha(assuming we re-sign him)
    Wilkerson -
    Harris - lol
    Revis
    Cro - lol are you serious

you left out Plax

19. nyjunc

You really know your football!:rolleyes:

20. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

That is my point exactly, I even jokingly stated that Jets fans probably consider Buffalo an epic dynasty after their 4 straight beat downs in the SB. Imagine my surprise when they actually came out and called the Bills a dynasty.

Really the difference between this year and the past two years are very little, Sanchez is the same QB, the defense is still decent but always let's up the big play when they need a stop, we still were looking at best getting the WC or backing into the playoffs.

This team needs to be worlds better really to compete with the top teams of this league. Anyone can beat anyone on any given Sunday is true and the Jets proved that the past two post seasons. However their poor play during the regular season makes me not willing to hang my hat on it. The Jets need to get a lot better.