Not firing Gase now - Could this be Chris Johnson biggest blunder ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 17, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that the players won't have as good an opportunity to develop as long as Gase is here, or maybe have no opportunity at all, but if you think that opportunity will be so much better under Williams, or Boyer, or Cooter, then you're kidding yourself. It is utter nonsense to say that Douglas isn't a good GM if he disagrees with you and your approach. He's forgotten more about football than you, I, or any other poster here will ever know. Since the team is in complete rebuild mode, he'll have the next year or two to evaluate those young players, and will be able to properly evaluate them when he has a HC that he has hired or at least had major input into the hiring.

I also agree that many of those players could still be with the team in a few years. That isn't going to be determined however by how they play under Williams, Boyer or Cooter.

Borat likes this.
  2. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

I agree with the tank for #1, but I would flip it for more picks. Reason being... empty stadiums. I rather bring in as much young talent as possible at a lower cost than bring in the highest paid rookie and have to pay more to surround him with talent. Due to covid, I think the Jets will stick with Darnold for one more year, and bring in a young vet to compete. Somebody Winston or Brissett. I dont think the Jets will spend money until the fans are able to return. Till then it's going to be moneyball.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

JD would get laughed right out of the league if he traded away the chance to draft Trev Lawrence and rightly so.

You can go back to 1998 with the benefit of hindsight and not find a deal worth passing up Peyton Manning.

Jets get the first pick there is absolutely nothing to think about. They take Trev and then build around him.

4. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but your approach won't work. You can't pay Sam $25 million when he hasn't proven to be worth it. You pass up on a generational QB who can overcome, and you're shooting yourself in the foot. They don't come around very often and when you pass up on them, you're dooming yourself to mediocrity or worse. You make the situation worse by trading down for a bunch of picks and building the team up so you're then drafting in the 20s. Then, unless you get really lucky and find a Brady in the 6th round, you have no shot at getting an elite QB prospect, unless you trade 2-3 years worth of draft picks, and then you have to find another GM dumb enough to take those picks instead of that generational QB.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  5. The Herschel Walker trade says hi. Its been speculated that the Jets could get that kind of return on the pick. Both volume & premium level picks over at least the next 2 drafts if not longer. No matter how good TL maybe,w where the Jets are right now, is he really more valuable than a massive haul of picks to go along w what we already got for JA?

Remember if Sam continues to falter theyd have the ammunition to force the issue & pounce on whatever QB prospect they covet

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Devil's Advocate: We can stick with Sam in 2021 and give him weapons. If he makes little to no progress, we can take this guy in 2022.

7. Bingo.Build some offensive infrastructure w the young QB we already have..if he fails the next QB to come in has a better chance at long term success.

8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

To all of you wanting to tank for #1.... the key word above is prospect. That is all he is. he has shown an ability in college which does not automatically translate to success in the NFL. Indeed, no one, including you, knows what he will do or even if he would have the ability to succeed in the NFL. And worse case scenario is, if we drafted, him how do you know he would even consider playing for this franchise, I don't.

Here is why... If I was his Dad, I would say, you know son you need to finish college... but that is your choice and if you were to decide to enter the draft, do you really want to play for a perennial loser? The team has shown they can not develop talent (multiple HC/CS) and they trade away their most talented players... I mean look how badly they have treated QBs to date... Now son, I realize that they need to tear it down, but do you want to be part of a organization that has been rebuilding for a decade and is now 0-6 and looks to be on its way to 0-16. Son, they are essentially a laughing stock of the NFL and have been for years? Knowing their history of failure as a team, let alone developing players why would you even consider playing for them?

My point is, non of us know what he will do but I do know keeping AG would only support the foregoing argument.

#108 SOJAZ, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  9. Every bigtime NFL prospect esp at QB dreams of going #1 in the draft. Its an achievement.A Distinction. And frankly yields the most $ entering the league. Going #1 also means you are likely going to a bad franchise & being asked to be a major part of change. Not many ultra confident alphas are gonna shy away from that challenge.If theyre any good & wired properly they almost EMBRACE it. What does it say about their toughness,competitiveness & ability to lead others if they avoid adversity?

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Of course he's just a prospect, that's true of literally every single guy who enters the draft. Idk what point you're trying to make.

How often does a team trade their proven franchise QB in the NFL? They're never available. You have to draft one to get one. Nobody is a sure thing but Lawrence has a higher chance of panning out than anyone since Luck.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yes Trevor Lawrence is more valuable than a collection of picks just as Peyton Manning was 22 years ago.

The Hershel trade is no comparison as he was an older RB and the Vikings were the team laughed at for paying that price.

HomeoftheJets, Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Two points on the main subjects of this thread about Gase and Darnold - jmo,

- Assuming that the Jets are in at the #1 pick, they will without question take Trevor. There is no way on God's green earth they can pass on him. No matter what offers are out there. Case closed - you don't want to be the team to pass on a player that is the best possibly since Peyton Manning...I've been hearing he is That Good. Better right now than Andrew Luck. And they say he has great leadership qualities. Sam , we know from what has been seen, doesn't. Jets are going to have to up his trade value somehow or someway, we know it's inevitable. Get him some snaps!

- I have a feeling that this next game against the Bills will be crucial. Gase will last till at least this Sunday, no matter what. IF the Jets make it a game, and look competitive that should get Gase off the resuscitator. If they pull off a stinker like the Miami game, it's curtains. Just my guess. Flacco has looked horrible though, so it's a tough call as to what CJ's thinking because of Sam not being in there.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is incredibly spot on. Over the next 10 weeks Gase's assistant coaches will not make core players we have develop much better. Biggest development will be done by the new coach, new system, new program. What current assistants might do is call a few plays better, make fewer mistakes in managing games, perhaps temporarily energize the players, all of which will result in MAYBE winning an extra game or even two. So, we will still be a shit team, but now without a shot at Lawrence. Just finish last 10 games in a season already lost anyway and then hire a competent coach (maybe Clemson coach?) to go with the new once in a generation QB.

On tanking, another great point by NC. We HAD CAP room for a one year deal and CAP would be free again next season. We saved on Mosley. Why not get Clowny, Ryan, etc? Because this season is not about getting wins. It's about evaluating the core. And core starts with QB. JD did make an effort to get Sam help adding a lot more talent to OL, while at the same time not improving defense, so that in case our QB doesn't play like FQB, we won't end up winning a few meaningless games with defense and hurting draft position, where we can get FQB. You can call it a tank, you can call it building core through the draft. The bottom line is, we are 0-6, and the season is gone already. Sam didn't play like FQB. Why give up a starter right now for as little as an exchange of 7th for 6th rounder? Because you get a little something more for future, even if it makes you worse presently. Same exact concept at this point applies to this entire remainder of the season and getting Lawrence.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have read some tremendous inputs and viewpoints both in favor and against picking a QB at one, as well as some insightful pros and cons of keeping Gase till year end. I don’t know if there is a right or wrong answer. From a risk reward perspective, selecting Trevor at 1 seems to prevail, but it will require and immediate infusion of talent to avoid another Andrew Luck type of fiasco.
    If I were to guess how JD intends to approach the draft, my gut tells me he will lean towards a bunch of top picks to built this team once and for all. There are just way too many holes to patch up. It will be hard, however to pass up on potentially the next Namath though, particularly if in JDs mind Sam is far from the final answer.
    The key to me is to have a new coaching staff in place first and foremost, with a top HC and OC that can help JD with the evaluation of our current staff, with Sam at the top of the list.
    Call me crazy but there is nothing that attract top talent to a team, be it rookies or vets, is knowing you have a HC and GM you respect and want to play for.
    Without that, there is no hope.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Winning, Coach and also QB attract talent. Obviously winning is not what will attract right now with the Jets. But if we have one good season after, get a good coach, and with Lawrence, fortunes might start changing. NE were able to get a lot of guys on the cheap to play with Brady. As far as whether JD thinks Sam is the FQB, I don't think he does. It's been 3 years. I don't think any GM would think Sam is the answer at this point. I think he will do better once Perriman and Mims are back, just like any QB would, but it would have to be a pretty giant leap for Sam at this point given what he has shown thus far. Also, I doubt he would be drafting a QB in the 4th round if he was convinced Sam was FQB last year, and this year Sam played even worse.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This goes all out the window once Gase gets fired. It's just a matter of time. They are on course to be the worst team ever in the NFL based on margins of points scored and given up. Do you honestly think CJ or JD wants that on their conscious or in the history books with their names mentioned? I don't think so.

And you know what? Neither do I, just speaking as a Jets fan. Fuck the #1 pick.

Gase is on life support right now. If the Jets pull a stinker at home against Buffalo like they did in Miami then CJ will be forced to do something. Pray that the guy he puts in is not gun-ho and has some smarts.

EDIT: I should make it clear that I'm rooting for the jets to get the #1 pick, but, not look like a bunch of college amateurs doing it. At least show some fight, omg.

#116 BomberJet, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    SOJAZ likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Yes, TL is more valuable than all those picks. He's pretty sure to be the real deal, those other picks aren't. What good will those picks do, and what's the point of trading the right to draft TL for a bunch of picks, and then having to turn around in a year or two and trade a bunch of those picks for another, lesser QB? That makes zero sense.

Sam is going to continue to falter. IMO he doesn't have what it takes to be an elite QB. Douglas would be a fool to pay Sam $25 million when he hasn't proved he's worth even half that much, and then pass on Lawrence. That would be such a typical Jets move. Trying to be cute in the draft and think they know more than everyone else. I can't believe that you wrote this post. That's sad, my friend. It looks like you're going off the deep end.

18. NCJetsfan

Exactly. I'm glad that at least a few of us get it. Trading the pick would be so like previous Jets GMs who thought they were smarter than the rest of the league and did the opposite of what they should have done, and it always backfired on us. There is no freaking way that Douglas should trade the #1 pick. If he does, then he isn't the GM I think he is, and that will mean there is no hope for the Jets as far as I'm concerned. He'll either wind up blowing the picks or get the team so that they're good enough to go 8-8 each year, but will never be able to make the playoffs or be a serious contender because they'll never have a quality QB. Meanwhile, Lawrence will go on to a HOF career elsewhere, and we Jets fans will be thinking about what could have been, and how could yet another Jets GM be so damn stupid.

REVISion likes this.
  19. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

First of all the nfl is a team sport, one player can make a huge difference,however does not mean success. Gase for the rest of the season will destroy everyone on the team. The Jets even with a great coach with the talent JD has assembled are not winning a game this season. JD needs to grow a set, get a guy on staff open to his plan,and put him in charge. Start to develop his players. Start to put his stamp on franchise. We are going 0-16 , but we can do it as part of the future. We do not need to waste the season on Gase

SOJAZ and Ralebird like this.
  20. All im saying is we should keep our options open.You cant tell me w all the Jets holes that their isnt a number of picks & players that makes you pause on drafting TL or any player for that matter

#120 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2020
    SOJAZ, Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.