Not firing Gase now - Could this be Chris Johnson biggest blunder ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 17, 2020.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Well lets see how the rest of the year plays out. I want to see if SAM can utilize the skilled players who have been MIA this season and may play this week. I'll remind everyone when SAM is out, they lose.

BTW- As NC and others stated, if he continues to play poorly, then maybe its time to move on. Like NC, I think with change and good coaching he could be a good QB.

LAJet likes this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

its interesting, but actually if a player gets drafted and never signs with that team, he actually goes into the next years draft

I can only remember Eli and then Elway before him, who forced a trade from the Colts to the Broncos by threatening to play baseball instead. So like 2 players in like 40 years refused to play for the team that drafted them and got their way.

then you have Peyton who chose to stay in school instead of fighting it and forcing a trade.

so three players...all QBs...fought the system

It may not be likely with Lawrence, but I don’t think you can discount it either...we are THAT bad...not only just a lack of talent...that can be overcome and the top pick probably doesn’t have an issue with that.

it’s more about the overall state of the franchise.

Are they a perennial loser? Check
    Is ownership bad? Check
    Is coaching bad? Check
    Have they proven that they don’t know what they are doing? Check

there are A LOT of red flags with us...this is more than just lack of talent. This is an extremely poorly run franchise...this is a hated HC who can’t ever seem to relate to players, especially stars, this is an HC who can’t stand criticism and ships players out. This is a franchise that consistently makes bad hires coach after coach and GM after GM.

if this were my son, I’d FOR SURE try to get him as far from this team as I could...by any means necessary

so there is risk here

we need to fire Gase and hire a reputable coach, and JD is going to have to convince him that we are on the right track

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Indeed we do. The bold statement is crucial. If Gase remains, to me is a red flag way too big to be ignored for any QB who is looking for a home with sufficient capability to provide the NFL development needed to succeed. Mark my words. If Gase is not gone before the draft and a new CS is in place....Trevor will not be a Jet. And I wouldn't blame him. Here is where the Giants, Detroit, Atlanta, Houston and Jacksonville might gain some major traction.

#283 LAJet, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    KurtTheJetsFan, Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Indeed he can sit out a year a la Bell or not declare, even though he said he would. Then he can be drafted the following year to the shittiest team in the League. There is a very small risk of that happening, but everything is possible. Think of it like this, for this to even be an option, we need to finish as the worst team in NFL first and foremost. That's where by far the highest risk lies - about 50% chance according to ESPN. Let's take care of the 50% risk first of not getting a pick, then if we are lucky enough to get there think about a very small chance Lawrence will sit out a year. Once season is over and we have #1, get rid of Gase, so we have that box checked too. Heck, I would go after Clemson coach hard, and he might consider if Jets get #1 overall and Trevor goes with him.

REVISion, Sack exchange and Jets79 like this.
  5. HotSauce

HotSauce Member

48% approval. Y’all cray.

6. HotSauce

HotSauce Member

7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

On topic, not firing Gase is/was not Johnson’s biggest blunder: hiring him is/was. The hire was a moronic decision then. At least keeping this CS until they secure pick 1/1 pick makes clear and obvious sense. (Whether it’s worth the damage to the fan base and franchise is a debate, but it makes more sense than hiring Gase did/does/ever will.)

cval and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Dabo Sweeney would be a complete failure in the NFL. There's no way he should be the new HC. His skill is at working with teenagers. He loves molding them into Christian men. He's a very "rah-rah" type HC. He's a great collegiate recruiter. None of that would help him in the NFL. Older veterans would tune him out immediately. I love who he is as a person and as the coach of Clemson, but he should not come anywhere near the Jets' HC job.

cval likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

It's probably trolls from other teams.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, you make a compelling argument, I’ll give you that. But, if Gase is not fired by year end, first pick or not, I’ll take my praises back. If there is one thing worst that a really bad hire, is not to recognize it in a timely fashion and keep him so he can continue to screw this team into the ground.
    BTW, keeping him to secure the first pick might turn out to be a double edge sword, because he is quite capable of screwing that up big time when we are down to meaningless games for the competition. If he knows he is a dead man walking, do you think he gives two shits about the number one pick? Playing Sam by the way, gives us a better chance than Flacco, so there is a another flaw in our pursuit of the number one pick. Rumor is now that he might get axed by the buy week, for what is worth.
    Let’s hope and pray we hit the lottery for once.

NoodleArm likes this.
  11. HotSauce

HotSauce Member

Those sick bastards.

12. NCJetsfan

Yes you are.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If the Jets land the 1st pick taking Lawrence is the obvious move, a move every GM in the league would make as well as anyone with half a brain cell.

With the way Darnold is playing, drafting Fields if we pick 2nd is becoming a no brainer as well which is great because I think we are just about a lock for a top 2 pick at this point.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why is Gase still the HC of the NY Jets? Whatever justification the Johnson Clowns might have it's ludicrous. Do they not watch the games? Do they really not have any concept of what constitutes decent, acceptable coaching? Or at least know when they see shit coaching?

Let me simplify it for the simple minded owners: The longer Gase stays, the worse the team gets. Got it? Now fucking DO something about it!

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely. Let me add one more point. The longer Gase stays, the less the chance of getting Trevor. No rookie QB in his right mind would want to jeopardize his career playing for such an incompetent coach.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The deadline to declare is Jan 17th. Gase will be gone latest by the January 5th, which is when Lawrence will know anyway who picks first. I don't quite see how getting rid of him now vs 5th of Jan has any impact here. What may have impact is us winning an extra game without him and THAT would definitely greatly reduce chances of getting Lawrence.

17. They dont wanna do the hard right & be what they perceive as cut throat.Time & time again they have held on to HCs for too long.Almost everytime the timing & optics have screwed us into hiring w a poor talent pool or worse these screwy arranged marriages.

It could be bc they dont like confrontation, too stubborn to admit a mistake,apathy toward winning or maybe they know deeep down they cant hire a quality HC if their life depended on it so they delay the inevitable.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Borat, I for one do not believe for one second Gase gives us the best chance for the worst record. The team is still playing hard although not very smart and Gase will do everything in his power to get some wins. That is his only motivation. He will play all the vets as starters for as long as he can and damned the rest. The thought of having to wait till year end or worst to know if we are getting a new coach in my mind sends a horrific message to all the players in the NFL and soon to enter the NFL....We the leadership of the NYJ have no idea what our problem is and how to fix it, nor how to select the kind of CS that can make this team successful. My two cents.

19. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

But but but... Gase coached up Peyton Manning during his best season... unreal that billionaire owners don’t understand the difference btwn correlation and causation

Garbage “The Great Peyton Coincidence” Gase

Can his azz!

LAJet likes this.