Nose Tackle Hole !!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SackMaster99, Aug 12, 2006.

1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i don't live in a 2002 fog, nor do i root for the chad jets. i root for the new york jets 2006, who would be much better off right now at nose tackle and running back, to say nothing about o-line, if the egg wasn't eating up so much cap money/if you want to drink the left-over kool-aid from 2002, go ahead.:rofl:

the rest of some of us are not rooting for an illusion!:rofl2:

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

A+++ response. There is no substitute for knowledge. As for Mr. NY Jet, quite simply....he ain't.

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Joe:

Why do you have to get personal with him? He's got over 6000 posts and he's from new york so that doesn't equate to me to show "complete lack of knowledge and depth." Pennington HAS got a weak arm--it doesn't mean he shouldn't play, but I would have never given a guy who had yet to complete a season a $64M contract (especially when NE only gave Brady $60M AFTER he won 2 super bowls).

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Because I read this board for insight and discussion with fellow Jet fans, not to the read the same post in every thread. His first 5500 posts were about Bradway being dracula and the last 500 were only about "noodle arm." It is boring and redundant.

And to pass judgment on a player after a three games of injured play last year and one half of a preseason game this year when he led the team to two playoff berths and two playoff wins in the prior three years is ignorant. And to ridicule a player whose only fault was to get injured trying to make a play is shameful. And to continue to insist that the entire NFL has the "book" on Pennington based on the playoff loss to Oakland in 2002 is absurd and incredibly ignorant. I can't wait to see how the NFL has the book on Peyton Manning after the Steelers blitzed him into oblivion in last year's playoff game. And Tom Brady looked pretty bad at the end of 2004 when the Dolphins were in his face all day and he three interceptions in a loss to a bad team. When a person places himself out there as a football fan and then doesn't realize that EVERY QB struggles when there are defensive players in his face and draped on his back, it frustrates me. No NFL QB can play well against a pass rush. Period. Mr. NY Jet makes it all sound so simple, but football is the ultimate team game and no one game makes or breaks a career and no one game exposes a QB forever or gives the NFL the book on somebody. If that were the case, then why did Pennington go 8-5 in 2004 and win a playoff game on the road against a team with a better record and almost beat a one loss team in their building the following week? With a shoulder injury.

I'm not saying Pennington is the answer for this team, but let's at least see what happens on the field before we pass judgment. And let's talk intelligently about it instead of making stupid "noodle arm" jokes in every thread.

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

And you're right--we should see what happens on the field. Here's hoping the jets bounce back in 06!

6. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I agree with what you are saying! DROB does not command a double team. What good is that? and he is always on the ground. IMO he was manhandled by the BUCS rookie!

7. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

The best thing to come from this game was that theyre now trying Kimo on the nose. He doesnt have prototype size, but I think prototype size is overrated for a nose tackle - I believe New England was using smallish type NTs before they brought in Wilfork, and it worked just fine, because they had a guy who knew how to play the position (I forget the name of the guy in question, I believe he was an ex Jet). Point is experience and knowing how to play the spot is more valuable than an extra 30 pounds. I think the best shot they have of a solid D line is to put Kimo on the nose and Robertson on the end.

Just remembered, it was Rick Lyle. Down in the 280 range, played nose tackle effectively for NE for a couple years.

#27 discostu570, Aug 14, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I've been trying to say this, and no one seems to listen, so I agree one hundred percent JWWS. It was Ellis that didn't look good and Oelhoffen seemed to struggle a bit too. Oelhoffen was getting pushed back, whereas Ellis was rushing outside leaving our ILB's vulnerable, and a big hole right up the C gap. They ran off tackle on us all day, even if they didn't gain much yards. Looking at it, Ellis may be better suited to play the rushbacker or WOLB role in this defense because he seems to only care about his numbers.

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I myself saw both pros and cons being debated here from D-Rob. The Bucs got very little yardage when the whole 1st team D was in.

I did notice D-Rob falling here and there exposing cutback lanes. But The biggest part was the DE's inconsistency along with poor blocking reads from LB's.

maybe the team just needs chemistry, i mean almost every position is up for grabs on the team as of now. once he fields a authentic depth chart and these players play together it'll happen.

D-Rob wasnt thorough the whole time, but his play was better than the ends. If Ellis would just crash in between the T and G instead of trying to make a one on one battle with the T there wouldnt have appeared to be such a huge hole which people would point to D-Rob being the NT.