No two ways about it...Zach laid an egg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 19, 2021.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That was a take from Bart Scott and friends that he was parroting instead of actually listening to the presser

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This can be concerning because missing high leads to picks. To me he throws off of his back foot way to much which leads to the high throws.

We will see a lot of this is nerves adjusting to the NFL and overthinking. The kid has some growing to do which is why Vilma was advocating sitting him. The Jets have decided not to so he will have to learn all this from playing.

#162 cval, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Agreed. Would've been so refreshing if the Jets organization played the long game for once. "We drafted him high and love his future, but he's not ready. We are sitting him year 1"

I think everyone just wants to see a plan.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I see a plan. The plan to me is we have young guys we are going to play them and let them take their lumps.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The throwing off the back foot is extremely worrisome. That just cannot happen and I wonder if that's just his mental clock speeding up after the beating he took week 1. Hopefully it isn't..

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Darnold was famous for that in his time here! Almost always led to turnover! I thought Wilson got really sloppy with form as game went on. He was pressing to make a play, not taking what given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and PJ4Ever like this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Extremely concerned about Zach. That was a very beatable Patriots team and I thought almost the entire team played well. Zach basically lost that game himself.

Its week 2, and its against New England/BB so I'm not writing him off as a bust yet. Having said that, as Jets fans we all know what a bust QB looks like for the Jets, and that's exactly what Zach looked like yesterday.

Hopefully he gets his shit together against Denver, because thats probably a better team than NE

westiedog1 and tomdeb like this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

It’s all part of his array of “off-platform” throws which the experts raved about. I expect more not less of that going forward. The only question is will he get away with it in the NFL at the same rate he did in college, more specifically in his breakout 3rd season. We shall see.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It can only happen if you have ridiculous accuracy in doing so, which he does not appear to have.

The bigger worry for me is that he's throwing off his back foot and creating off-platform style throws when he doesn't need to. The Davis drop/misfire is a good example. He had a five yard halo around him - set your feet and follow through young man. No need to make a weird skipping throw with that much space.

dawinner127, abyzmul and legler82 like this.
  10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

There's a reason the Jets weren't picked to do w
    I think his ceiling is more than that or else the Pats wouldn't have drafted him.

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought that was a winnable game going in, and I thought the rest of the jets played well. The jets will get absolutely destroyed the next two weeks.

SOJAZ and James Hasty like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I still think Zach will have a bounce back game against Denver, but he's still going to be running for his life like he was against the Panthers and you can only bounce so far back in that situation.

Dude should have sat and watched.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is the combination of off platform throws and the smarts when to use them. Mahomes made a stupid throw yesterday that may have cost KC the game. Zach needs experience and the only way to get it is playing. Lets hope he is smart enough to learn from the mistakes.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If we get the running game going again and do not fall behind he should not be running for his life. Passing in obvious passing downs is when that happens. The hardest thing for young Qbs to do is give up on a play. Punting is better than a turnover.

I have mixed feelings on sitting and watching and I think it depends on the player. Some players need to lay to learn and others will end up gun shy and become check down kings. The coaches have to make that decision on Zach and here is to hoping he improves each week. He played pretty good in week 1 with a very good panthers D, he sucked in week 2 with a good D as well and to high expectations for himself. Lets see if we are calling for his head or praising after week 3.

This is the real test to me how do you bounce back after a poor performance. Playing out in Denver is not an easy task.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I continue to strongly urge everyone to NOT come here until at least the morning after a bad loss.

cval likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Didn’t read this whole thread but my question is , did anyone not expect to see this game at some point this season?

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What is obvious is that a bunch of posters were waiting for a game like this to come out of the woodwork.

18. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

He would definitely benefited sitting and watching but The FO didn’t want to bring or brought in a vet to start. So be it. Let’s see what he does the next few games to see if he adjust and per Saleh play boring passing game. The dinks and doinks some if you saying you don’t want to see Zach fall into ala Mac Jones is probably what Zach needs. Boy we need to draft a High end TE next year!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Really if we are honest, Mac Jones was not good yesterday, but played smarter for sure. He took what was given, Zach should take note. Mac held the ball too long sometimes, something he needs to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoodleArm likes this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

To me, the scariest throw was the safety valve to Carter. Carter had no one within 20 yards of him and Wilson threw it a mile over his head.