No two ways about it...Zach laid an egg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 19, 2021.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think both Wilson AND the jets need to rethink. To me, Moore does look comfortable on the outside, and should be in the slot. If that means they have to trade Berrios or Crowder so be it. Try Mims or Cole on the outside and/or perhaps Yeboah at TE. What the hell do the jets have to lose? They have just lost to two mediocre teams and now will be crushed by good teams the next two games.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yeah me. We had a new coach coming here from success in SF bringing with him an upbeat and positive attitude to change the losing culture of the NY Jets. We have a OC that is supposedly a protégé of the successful Shanahan school of offense. We have a brand spanking new QB, lauded for his arm strength, accuracy and mobility (supposedly missing in the old QB.) We have a revamped receiver and runner corps with proven talent. We have an upgraded O line from a first round pick and FA signings. We even have some supposedly upgraded talent on defense from the draft. I didn't expect the Jets to win every game, but all these ingredients don't add up to what we witnessed yesterday.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Rookie qbs have these games. Soon as he was named starter you had to pencil in at least one clunker.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's funny. lance didn't play and the other 3 all looked pretty bad today. Only one that looked good was jones and it wasn't anything great. he was just smart and efficient and didn't make mistakes.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Since when is Denver a "good" team. They beat a terrible Giants team and they beat Jacksonville. Let's not act like its the 2007 Pats next week. My goodness.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You realize the Jets are right about at the same level of those 2 teams right now?

As a fan it's hard to see, but right now they are right there with those 2 shitty teams.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yes. I never said they weren't.

8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

100% about Mac Jones. He had a nice stat line with all his six yard passes. His holding the ball too long seemed to arise from his apprehension about throwing the ball deep. Something he'll probably get over with him.

On topic, Zach Wilson took a huge shit on the field. Wish his week 1 and 2 stat lines were inverted so as to show some progress. Not sure if he can't see properly out of the visor, needs new contacts, or should have his eyes checked out, but something is up with his reads. The game hasn't slowed down for him yet, which is understandable. And, as others have mentioned, it's time for LaFleur to start dialing up some six yard passes (maybe some swings and screens?!) to build the kid's confidence. In any event, I doubt that Saleh is just going to sit by and let Wilson take another dump this week.

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I cant rag to hard on the other QBs.

Fields wasn't the starter and didn't get the practice reps. He made a few mistakes coming off the bench but also ran 10 times and held on for the win. He still hasn't started a game.

Lawrence has sub par protection, receivers, RBs, and questionable coaching. He is basically in the same situation Darnold was in with us in 2019. Its ugly and sad to see.

Jones didn't look like a world beater but he is learning as well. His skill players are all solid but average players. A good QB makes the most of what he has and that's what Jones is learning to work with.

We got to simplify the gameplan so Zach can have some early success next week. Our first halves have been murder. Lets get his confidence up early.

10. westiedog1

He's entitled to a bad game, but yesterday was more in the category of atrocious. You don't expect atrocious from a No. 2 pick overall.

11. westiedog1

Exactly.

ouchy likes this.
  12. NYsportsfan1962

First year HC (a defensive guy by trade), first year very young offensive coordinator who for the life of me didn't know that NE would take away Corey Davis, a first year QB who didn't play against very sophisticated defenses last year. Throw in not having a veteran QB teammate to be in the ear of Wilson and BTW losing a well respected QB coach to a cycle accident just before the season. Add all that up and then play against one of the best defensive minds in NFL history. Not making excuses but I can see how yesterday happened. The more important question going forward is can all the aforementioned coaches and players adjust and fix what went wrong? Trying to keep a positive spin on this but 55 years just naturally makes me dubious. Still believe in the talent of Wilson.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed. I really think the last INT was a desperation throw that he should not have made. I think it was 2nd and 28 after that BS penalty. He just wanted it all back on one play, but needs to learn the NFL does not work that way. The one I was the most upset about was the 3rd one to Moore. I am not sure what he was thinking there. I guess he thought he could get it over the defender? Easier said than done. That was a momentum killer, because the Jets were still very much alive in the game at that moment despite him throwing the first two.

Still, he never looked defeated or down on himself. That is important. He just needs to keep learning and moving forward.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Spoiler alert. There’s probably some more ugly coming this year.

NYJFOREVER and BrickcityJet like this.
  15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We need Zach to understand hero ball alone isn't gonna cut it in a 17 week marathon. At least not sustainable. He needs to balance some dinks and dunks with off platform stuff.

Those throws off the back foot looked like the ball was in the air forever

CotcheryFan likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Actually you do. #1 pick Trevor Lawrence went to the terrible Jaguars. He is (0-2) with 5 interceptions so far. #2 pick Zach Wilson went to the terrible Jets. He is (0-2) with 5 interceptions so far. It will be tough for both this season.

I am an optimistic fan, but one thing I did say before the season is Zach starts with some tough defenses. Panthers on the road, Patriots, Broncos on the road, and Titans. It will take full team efforts to win any of those games.

Also, I would not call the performance atrocious. We have witnessed MANY atrocious QB performances as Jets fans. That was more of a bad performance.

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! Okay, I guess we will see next week. My goodness( (????) :confused:

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I agree with this regarding the gamelan with Zach.

I think a lot of this failure falls on the offensive play calling as well as on him. I think Lafleur is too excited about Wilson's abilities and is pushing too hard too early. Wilson also has to learn that hitting your check down is not a bad thing. You don't always have to push the ball down the field.

I expect them to get on the same page as one another. It was refreshing seeing our line generate push to have over 100 yards on the ground. If we run the ball effectively and keep Zach comfortable with high percentage throws, we can see a reversal pretty quickly in his play

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I thought he would probably have some (2-3) poor games, but never thought I'd see him look as bad as he did yesterday. He obviously had a bad day/game, but I don't think LaFleur helped him any at all with the play calling, adjustments, or not coaching him on the sideline during the game.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I was very surprised to see us establish the run in the first half. That gives us some hope.