No need for panic...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Oct 13, 2013.

1. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I don't panic the jets, its just a slow pot smoking paranoia.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Looks like 4-5 at the bye, maybe 5-4 with some real luck. 5 to 8 wins at the end of the year, although the 5 is looking less and less likely as the season goes on.

3. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't baffle u because some fans really don't know that much about football.

4. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I'm not panicked about this team, because I set the bar low for this season.
    If this team wins six games this season, I will be one of the first to lead the charge into Woody's office to insist that Rex gets a new contract. What he and his coaching staff this season has been short of a miracle. After the Sanchez debacle I was ready to ring his neck.
    But he has the team competitive every week.
    The rest of the season should be focused on making the defense better and teaching Geno how to be a pro football quarterback.
    I think Idzik's priority next season is supply Geno with more offensive weapons. When you have Clyde Gates as your number one receiver, your QB is screwed.

5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

All I wanted from this season, was to have a glimmer of hope going into the last week. There's nothing worse than trying to watch meaninless games at the end of the season. Last year was the first time in a while we've had to do it, and I remember turning to my two friends --- a Dolphins fan and a Redskins fan --- and saying to them ... "this is excruciating. How do you do this every year??".

I felt like we needed to be at least 4-5 at the BYE to avoid it. Losing yesterday was a killer. I'm not panicking yet, but We better win at least one of the next three. The biggest problem is the damn Cheifs being 6-0. That pretty much leaves everyone else shooting for one spot as we play the last 2 or 3 weeks.

6. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

At least this makes it a trap game situation next week, pats coming off huge win... if we can win next week all is good

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

7. endydee

endydee Active Member

Speaking of Clyde Gates, what happened to his hand/wrist? Last I saw he was headed to the locker room.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What? Maybe 5 wins at the bye and then only 5 wins total for the year? Have you looked at the schedule after the bye?

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Cumberland is going to be a stud. I re-watched the game and he is actually a very good run blocker now and he has great hands. He could be a stud TE in this league with a little experience.

I think Cumberland will be our clear cut number one TE next season.

As far as the panic goes right now, it's just dumb to panic right now. We are sitting at .500 right now, even with that record, nobody outside of this fan base would've predicted that and we still have a lot of games to go.

I think with this being such a young team, they are only going to continue to get better. I still think big things are ahead for this team.

10. Br4d

I have looked at the schedule. There are no pushover teams left on it. The Bills are manageable but we've already beaten them and they're a division game, The Raiders, maybe the Panthers and Browns. All manageable. However none of those teams are uncompetitive this year.

Look around you at the Jets and ask yourself how the Jets could lose some of those games. Now ask yourself how they could lose most of them.

I could see the Jets at 4-5 at the bye and winning one more game this year with a little bad luck in the mix. All it would take is another injury or two with the current mix of players out.

I could also see the Jets 5-4 at the bye and only winning 3 more games on the year if things shake out poorly. It's not like the Jets have been silent assassins in December lately.

BTW, anybody who is panicking right now about the Jets playoff chances: are you on crack? This team was never likely to be a playoff team this season. They have some very longshot possibilities but that's all that's there. The talent base is very low even for the parity-parody NFL at this point.

#110 Br4d, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

part of the problem is the perception that alot of us have that smith should come in and have some success that mirrors the recent successes of seattle's wilson and the niners "copernicus"....

everytime he throws a good ball it takes u to the edge of ur seat and makes u wonder if the jets have finally found a long term answer at QB - a winning answer.

then he shits the bed like yesterday and alot of us are back to what our final record will be and what draft slot we have - for another QB.

its a tough call and nobody knows what will happen 2-3 years out. i personally do not think smith will ever be mentioned in the same sentence as wilson or kapernick. but that doesn't matter what i think and time will tell.

i am sure some of us would gladly give a ball to be in a position like the colts and get their guy - with no questions asked. done, finito...

the football gods just dont like the jets so it aint happening, ever.

#111 jilozzo, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  12. Br4d

2014 has a lot of draft picks. It has a fail-safe for the Jets in that if the team really does not play well this year they'll get a top 10 pick to help correct. It starts with the second most important area of the team, the defensive line, stocked as well as anybody in the league right now.

Things will be ok as soon as we get the MetLife Super Bowl behind us. Then the Jets are back to being the Seahawk emulators and results will follow that.

Tampa Bay is 0-5 now. Think about it.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is the part I don't get. Everyone who's not a HOMER, knew going into the season that we'd be a team in transition. From the new system on offense on down to the new kid running it.

We beat TB and ATL and folks started thinking this team is a lot better than it really is. They actually started talking playoffs as if suddenly, Geno wasn't a rookie and had been running MM's offense for the last 5 years. All of a sudden, our Wr's went from marginal to great when the reality is, none of our Wr's could be considered a #1 let alone Pro Bowl and yeah, that includes the Immortal Diva Holmes.

Now the post-ATL hangover begins. We start sniping at each other because some of us simply didn't buy into the hype about how great this team was only after 5 games with 11 left to play. We get shutdown on offense at home by a 0-5 team and everyone forgets that same 0-5 team owns the Jets historically. I believe we're 4-19 over the last 4 decades.

People really need to accept that 2013 will not be the year we go to the SB, or even make the playoffs. This is what rebuilding looks like. Get used to it until perhaps 2015 at the earliest. Building a consistent winner takes time when you're the Jets. Quick fixes just don't work out for us. Never have, never will.

Be patient and games like this won't bother you so much if you keep an eye on the big picture. Homers tend to see things that simply aren't there yet.

14. Lehtonen

Lehtonen New Member

Jets fans are the most impatient bunch in the world.

15. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Jets win, great job, we going to super bowl.
    Jets Lose, I hate this team and everyone around it, fire everyone!

Playoff run this year would be nice, but don't get your hopes up. Jets are already doing better than expected.

16. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Yesterday, sucked on a lot of different levels. On 3rd down the defense has got to get off the field. Steelers have a solid defense, that was hungry for a win and coming off a bye. We had the opportunities; hill overthrown deep, and Geno two picks near the redzone (can't happen). I hate to add this last part, but I thought the stadium looked and sounded pretty whack yesterday.

We all new this was going to be a tough year. 3-3, not a bad place to be. Time to dig in deep.

17. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Need a really good bounceback effort against the Pats. We've been up and down, just have to hope the trend continues. My gut is telling me this stretch looks like 0-3, but this team has surprised on a few occasions this season, so I'm hoping we find a way to get one of these games. The lack of talent on offense is not really something that can be fixed during this season. Idzik needs another offseason to add playmakers. I think it would be crazy to go D in the first round of the draft again. We should almost certainly target a WR with that pick. When Clyde Gates is your leading WR and your QB is getting picked off throwing to Konrad Reuland, it's a problem.

18. Br4d

Pats, @Bengals, Saints looks more like 1-2 to me. Where the win comes from is anybody's guess but the odds are it's in there.

19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I agree. I mean wanna panic go ahead but we all would've signed up for a 3 and 3 start. growing pains do suck but I still have my hopes high with Geno. yes he overthrew Hill... a pass he usually completes. its crazy how momentum changes so quickly. we had a few good chances in the beginning to take over the game, and get the crowd behind us. we had the almost sack/safety in the endzone, and the ball on the 1 yard line if we convert we're up 9 - 0 we didn't and the game changed from there. they converted we didn't. we've had 5 long drives this year a few against the pats and a few today that ended up in picks. yet I feel over time those will turn into touchdowns. I'll keep our heads up and look forward to the future.

20. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

It is amazing

Let's see, play calling, half-time adjustments, trap game, whatever the heck that is. Some fans sound like bad talk radio. Is there anything else?
    The Jets are a young club with a rookie QB and few offensive weapons. They need two more drafts and maybe a free agent to be an elite team. If this longtime fan can wait you young guys can too.
    Talent plus experience equals success. There are no shortcuts and no guarantees.