No Name Defense the glimmer from 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 9, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah he's a great player and a great team/lockeroom guy and if we had the money i would like to keep him but realistically that 6.5mil needs to be sued to fix the o-line, CB, edge, and WR situation. we have enough good ILBs that he's expendable but i wish him well on his next team

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I listed all of the defensive starter and backup salaries (didn't bother with third string) to show that we do have enough money to keep them and still spend about 65% of our cap on offense.

3. GasedAndConfused

4. James Hasty

While we need to upgrade our pass rush and our corners, $38 million is too much to throw at those positions in one off-season.

We need to fill some holes in the draft and Williamson at $6.5 mil is a better value than one of the expensive free agents you want to add.

Finding a cheaper alternative to that player (coming off injury, younger guy with upside, etc.) means saving the money to keep Williamson.

5. GasedAndConfused

except hewitt, cashman, burgess all cost less then williamson combined and are playing well in our D with no drop off.

also that is a little old. griffin has already been extended. Bless is proving to be a starting CB meaning we only need to sign 1 and resign poole. and i'd resign maulet and use one of our 3rds on a CB that saves us 8-10 mil right there off my initial estimate which covers the 4.5 mil overage and griffins new deal which was more then expected

6. James Hasty

Just because we have no drop-off playing against the Dolphins and Bengals doesn't mean that we couldn't use a guy like Williamson if we make a playoff push next year. Let's see how good our ILBs are when we play Baltimore.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We need to find a pass rusher in the draft as good ones don't hit the open market. Passing on Allen looks more foolish with each passing day. Austin might be one of our CB's going forward, but we need at least 1 more, probably 2. Sign 1 and draft 1 in rounds 3-4 is what I'd do.

8. GasedAndConfused

we didn't have a drop off playing against anyone really. williamson hasn't played a down this season and our D is better this year then last year despite the injuries. I like williamson, he's a good player, if we had the cap room i'd keep him, but we really don't. there is no reason to keep him when we have younger cheaper players who are playing just as well

Mogriffjr likes this.
  9. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

That being said

I don’t want to be cheap for the sake of being clever in 2020 on defense - let’s not get too fucking cute here

I think Williamson should be retained

his money is not that big and depth and character are important

James Hasty likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Williamson's cap hit is $6.5 million. He's pretty good vs the run, but is a liability in pass coverage. Our run D has been very good even without Mosley or Williamson. If Mosely wasn't coming back, I'd agree. IMO Williamson is a luxury, and that money can be put to a lot better use to strengthen the team in an area where they are weaker like OG, CB, or maybe even a FA ILB who is better in coverage than Williamson.

11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

agree assuming the money is put to BETTER tangible usage

I’m of the mindset let’s not be cheap and waste money on the offense just for the hopes of a marginal upgrade - if the cash saved on him makes us markedly better at a specific glaring weakness (example O line) then I’m cool

otherwise I say just keep him

I say let’s use the cash for legit tangible reasons, otherwise just keep the known quality entity

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nobody wants to see the team get rid of a good player just for the sake of getting rid of him or to waste the money we would have used on him. Hopefully, Douglas will prove to be a quality, competent GM who has a good plan for FA, the draft, and how to build a quality roster, and eventually a SB Champion.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

200+ yards rushing
    5 touchdown passes

“no name defense”, more like no defense

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Considering the players missing and the lack of skill at corner and edge, I thought they held on the best they could. It’s not like we haven’t seen the ravens do that to better teams.
    I’ll continue to contend that it’s a closer game with Mosley and Adams in the lineup.

#54 FJF, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

At some point lack of talent will out. If that happens to be against the likely #1AFC seed then it probably isn't the worst case scenario. Short fields helped the Ravens rack up points too and, as you say, they've done that to far better teams than the Jets this season.

FJF and Mogriffjr like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

Baltimore coulda hung 60+ if they really wanted to. This defense couldn’t stop anything

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Avery Williamson has been the Jets MVP this season. His gameday posts of him in full uniform in random places have been the most entertaining part of this season. Hate to see him go..

FJF likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just don't understand the strategy or if it was just players not executing well enough. If you're going to stop Jackson or the read option you need to commit to stopping him on the run or stopping the dive. We did neither and had our defensive ends split the difference and try to play both.

That can maybe work if you have elite athletes out there (Ingram/Bosa combination kind of thing). But we had Jenkins and this #60 and Basham trying to play the dive and recover to stop Jackson.

A disaster waiting to happen.

19. BrowningNagle

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Could just be an investment. Signed jersey from a guy who could go on to have a HOF career and who broke the QB rushing record that night.

Might be worth a bit down the road.

FJF likes this.