No Name Defense the glimmer from 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 9, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

So.....we have a championship caliber D? :p:D

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think you misread that.
    jets 3.0/rush vs league average is > 2000 ravens 2.7 yds/rush vs league average.

twown likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that yards per rush average may change on Thursday night after we face the league's best rushing offense by a wide margin :(

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree that we might see Cashman or someone else take over for Williamson next year but given Cashman s injury we might get another year of Williamson. There are lot worse ways to spend 6.5 million. But that is certainly a viable option.

In regards to the ayc one would think our inability to stop the pass would make our run defense more susceptible to big plays. That being saud I agree that a great run defense does not have a lot of value but the job they have done is remarkable.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We are going to get killed on the edges.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

hopefully Jamal Adams is healthy. I am not a defensive strategy person but I personally would put Adams in the box all game and tell him to spy Lamar Jackson, period.

Jonathan_Vilma and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

With the lack of talent and injuries to our D I think the performance has been remarkable. We have no major pass rusher and a mediocre, rookie populated secondary but still able to make plays. We need to build those two areas in earnest without weakening the run D. I disagree that a great run defense has no value. It has plenty of value, and a big piece towards improving the pass rush and becoming a top D. Had we gotten a pass rusher instead of Leo, and a better option than TJ at corner for the shit load of money he got paid, Williams would be making mince meat out of many a good old passing Offenses right now. I don’t think we are far off and we could have been there two years ago with a good GM in synch with a good coach.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

No, just pointing out the #s because as you know, the translation here will become the D was the best run D in history.
    And for the record, the Ravens 2.7 vs league avg was still better than the current 3 vs league avg.

#28 TonyFtLaud, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

#Jets James Burgess finished with a 90.8 overall grade in Week 14 which was the 3rd highest among linebackers who played a minimum of 40 defensive snaps. #TakeFlight

- so here's a guy who was familiar with Gregg Williams system and he's just getting better the more he plays. I feel like Hewitt is a solid guy and Burgess maybe a keeper at a cheap price. Between Mosely, Cashman...you start to see some semblance of the LB corps for next year

GasedAndConfused and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think we're likely to get killed in an number of ways. We don't even belong on the same field as the Ravens.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes. We don't need Avery Williamson, and can save $6.5 million if we trade or release him. If one is available in FA, I'd like to see us sign one who excels in coverage.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'd keep mosley and hewitt to start and burgess and cashman for depth and sub packages and save the 6.5mil from williamson. greg is making diamonds out of shit right now

LAJet and Mogriffjr like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's worth a shot. The usual problem with a spy is that some jag middle linebacker is usually tasked with it in college and professional football and they're always slow run stoppers.

Adams has a decent shot to make a couple tackles on Jackson to at least prevent 30 yard gains and keep them to 10.

14. TonyFtLaud

Is Adams on track to play Thursday? Haven't seen anything about his status.

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It's still up in the air right now. Gase said if they had practice he wouldn't have been out there.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

Thanks,been looking for an update...

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Assuming he's the same player as he was in Baltimore. No idea if that'll be the case.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

They may be a bid costly but I would do my best to keep Williamson, Jenkins, and Robby Anderson next year.

If we add Mosley and Williamson to what we have now with upgrades at CB and OLB look out.

dawinner127 likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

williamson is expendable with the way hewitt, burgess, and cashman have played. and we really need the 6.5 mil in space to address other needs like keeping robby/jenkins and others and fixing the o-line and adding help at CB and edge

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's still a damn good player though. Williamson is a do everything linebacker.

You're right though. It just makes sense to get rid of him since Burgess and Hewitt haven't missed a beat. We still lack a coverage linebacker but most teams do. It's not like Williamson can cover anyways.