No excuses...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Sep 28, 2019.

1. He wanted to bring a staff w literally only one person w any NFL experience;An offensive assistant for like 2 yrs w the giants.

Wouldve been a disaster

NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

First and foremost he seems totally dedicated -- obsessed with football. That is key
    Second he is holding players accountable. Necessary but not sufficient condition for success.
    Third, he found ways to have a better record in Miami with a worse roster (IMO). Does this mean he will be a HOFer ? No. But it's an important factor. It's really difficult to get a HOFer coach to walk through the door. Typically they need to grow into that

At the end of the day, I consider him a huge upgrade over what we had. There were other interesting candidates too. I would have felt way better if I had confidence in the decision makers (namely Macc and Johnson). I do not trust they have some super eye for talent, but i think this choice was at least reasonable

I think it is ridiculous to call for his head after 3 games. It would be 10x ridiculous for the team to actually do that because (a) there would be long term consequences (what coach, even a loser one, would want to come here after that) and (b) every coach has needed time. Even the great Belicheck started out losing (5-11) and he had a #1pick QB etc.

The reality is that we have to toughen up and make the best of it and not run around like chicken little saying the sky is falling every time we lose a game (especially when we're losing under the current circumstances)

truthbtold and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what does that even mean though? that seems like pure bullshit, a loss is a loss anyway

cval likes this.
  4. chandler

But if all they wanted was money, their best decision would still be to win. That will increase the value tremendously

Personally, i think they want to win as much as most if not all other owners. No I am not saying they are great owners, or have eyes for talent. I'm also doubting that they're so insecure because if they were so insecure, they should be more insecure about their reputation from owning a franchise at the bottom of the league

The issue is there no institution in place with sustained success; one that has an eye for winners vs. losers at every job in the organization from dieticians to GMs. In that regard we are like a lot of teams in the league

Hopefully Douglas can help here. He's young enough to be around long enough to make a difference. We just need him to be great

It would have been good to hire someone like Coughlin the way Jacksonville did.

5. chandler

I don't think the issue is "want". Everyone "wants" instant success. But even the great coaches didn't have that. Instead we're forced to endure the wait.

The great coaches are unicorns. Even if you leave a great, winning organization there is no guarantee. Look at the long list of coaches who left the Pats organization to only go on and fall flat -- it's a long list. One would think that somehow winning habits (or special cheating tricks) rubbed off on them but unfortunately it's just not that simple

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

When a SB winning coach is thrown out the door in mid season without even waiting until the end of the year you have to ask yourself why? Mike McCarthy should have begged for a job. The reality is he checked out. The Packers are better without him.

Giving Mike McCarthy full control after a good organization like the Packers told him to get the fuck out would have been incredibly stupid. Even McCarthy knows he needs time out from the game. He checked out on the Packers and his family is still living in Green bay so his kids can finish school. Imagine if he was in NY and flying back every week.

Mike McCarthy is done. Maybe after a year or two away he will be a viable NFL HC. I give him credit for having the balls to ask for full control. It was absolutely the right thing not to give it to him.

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I have ragged on Gase for his offensive schemes so far. But I can agree 3 games is too soon to call for firing him. Especially since we have had backup QBs and played some pretty good defenses so far.

But (and this is a huge but), from Denver, to Miami, to New York, Gase has shown no sign that he knows any other offense than the one he ran with Manning. I just don't think he is very creative or able to make adjustments according to our talent level. Bruce Coslett was the last truly offensive minded head coach we had - and Gase seems way less talented than him.

azhar80, NYJetsO12, SOJAZ and 4 others like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think the "why" was Aaron Rodgers complaining all the time that McCarthy wasn't calling the plays he wanted and blaming the HC for every loss. He was fired after losing to the Cardinals - even though Rodgers didn't play that well during the game (some say maybe on purpose).

We don't have Aaron Rodgers and IMO would have been blessed to get McCarthy. The first proven successful HC to come to the Jets since BP in 1997.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

No offense, but maybe you need to smarten up a bit here. Its not the losing - which is bad - its the way they lose... not being competitive, blowing assignment after assignment on OL and WR and TE, ultra conservative play calling that he exhibited in Miami and now here because that my friend is coaching problem.

have a great day and See comments in bold...

Wahoo likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If a team throws a SB winning coach out in mid-season, what's the time limit on a guy who not only has not won even one SB, but hasn't even gotten out of the first round in his only playoff appearance?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. chandler

I think this is kind of funny. Do you scream at the TV too?

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Gase had the same record as Mike did last year. Gase had Tannehill for 11 starts and Osweiler for 5 starts. Mike has had arguably the best roster in the NFL 5 times and made it through the playoffs one time. That was 9 years ago.

azhar80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

That doesn't answer my question though.

McCarthy's record is 125-77-2 + .667 WPct.; Playoffs: 18-10 = .556 WPct. 1 SB win.

Gase's record is 23-29 = .442 WPct.; Playoffs: 0-1 .000 WPct.

See the difference?

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If being what your record says you are is true, we hired the wrong guy..

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Gase's record as an OC with a HOF QB is 25 & 7 that's 780%.

McCarthy's record was 3 and 6 the year before last when Aaron Rodger didn't play. FYI it was a rarity when Mike didn't have a 1st ballot HOF starting for him.

Mike Holgram with Brett Favre who wasn't as good as Rodgers went to two SB 1 win and had a 670 winning percentage.

Green Bay has won at an incredible clip with a couple of coaches. It's a great organization, they dumped him and haven't missed a beat. Maybe it's not because of Mike McCarthy. Maybe it's the HOF QB, the roster and the organization? I suggest the reason the Packers have had so much success is Ted Thompson who was a prodigy of Ron Wolf.

#155 Biggs, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

I can't argue with the conclusion that GB has a great organization, and that it's largely responsible for all the success, regardless of who the HC is. And of course in contrast we have one of the worst ownerships and organizations in the NFL, which is definitely responsible for where we're at now. If it were possible to fire the Johnsons, that would be my preference. But that's not going to happen, so...they need to hear that the guy they hired may well not be the answer.

Speaking of Holmgren, I wonder if he'd like to come out of retirement and become the Pres. of Football Ops for the Jets?

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He's 70 which probably isn't too old if his health is good. I always like him plus he's a very positive guy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

None of that is relevant, This is about Gase and why he was hired.

19. Ralebird

Nothing at all rhetorical about the question and neither you nor anyone else has come up with a satisfactory answer of why the guy was hired.

"Offensive guru?" "Quarterback whisperer?" I didn't buy it then, I don't buy it now. What about his record, both on and off the field? Nobody can say that's why he was hired even though those are key factors in hiring a head coach. His resume is awful. Your reasons for hiring him that I quoted directly are extremely weak. Why would anyone hire a person to fill any position if the best they can say about him is he sucks less than the other candidates?

SOJAZ likes this.
  20. Ralebird

First and foremost, every head coach in the NFL is totally dedicated and I'm not sure "obsessed" is an asset if the obsession narrows the vision.

He may be holding some players accountable, we see very little of that but when will he hold himself accountable?

He had a losing record in Miami that only got worse as he fought with players, coaches and team officials.

Let's not set the bar as high as the Hall of Fame just yet, let's just look for a guy who can win more games than he loses for starters.

As long as you are satisfied with hiring a guy who is simply better than what you had, you'll never have a winner. That's a big part of the problem here - fans who want to compare him to failures of the past rather than successes, even from other teams. The reality is that Gase has a history of losing games, losing his players and losing management.

I haven't called for his firing after three games but I have questioned his hiring from day one because I'm not a guy who is constantly betting on the come. I want something concrete on which to base my support.

SOJAZ likes this.