No excuses...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Sep 28, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I respect your opinions, and you've proven to be an experienced and astute observer, so I'm wondering why you can't (won't?) see the troubling signs that Gase has exhibited? Those transcend talent. They can be mitigated by talent - as they were when he was working with Manning and the Broncos - but not completely erased. Sure, maybe it's too early to fire him, according to traditional norms, but a franchise that's gone 50 years with no championships, and 8 without even a playoff appearance in the parity-driven NFL, isn't "normal".

But hey, you've hedged your bets by rooting for the Cardinals, so maybe this isn't s big deal for you. For me, I'm just sick of all the urgings of "patience".

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

to be fair. any OC would look great with peyton at QB. we all know peyton was his own OC and would audible out of any bad play call

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I live in AZ. I go to live football games because I'm a football junky. I root for the home team good or bad. I started out as a Jets fan at 11 in 1965 along with the Knicks and Mets. I was rewarded with championships at 14 and 15. I'm still a fan of my home teams. People thought I was insane when I started to sing the meet the Mets song during a Mets Diamond back game in AZ last year.

The basic difference is I'm a sports fan. I recognize sports are a competition. I'm a fan of the teams I grew up with and the teams where I live. It's in my DNA. I'm not entitled to a winner. I'm going to get what comes from the competition.

I recognize Gase is a hard case. I recognize the Jets have a second rate roster to begin with and is missing several key players. We have played 3 very good teams and lost.

I have no issue moving on from Gase or Douglas. I also know good organizations sometimes have to go through pain to become winners. Continuity leads to winning. That doesn't mean you stick with a bum as a head coach but it also doesn't mean you jump ship when the weather gets a little rough.

Gase came into a shit show. We have a new GM and a new coaching staff. We have a terrible roster and key guys are hurt. If Gase proves to be a bad HC I'm all for moving on. The over reaction combined with the idea that we are entitled to a winner just because sounds a lot like whining.

Manning wasn't the same QB when he went to Denver after neck surgery. Here's what he actually said about Gase. "Adam was wonderful to me after my injury. I had to learn to play football in a sort of different physical state because I couldn't throw the ball the same way."

For all the talk that Gase can't get along with players I think we all could agree that we would love to have a player like Payton Manning on our team once in a lifetime. Gase apparently can get along with HOF quality players. Maybe now that he helped get us a new GM we will get one or two of them.

4. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I got fed up with the Jets excuse train 20 years ago, after hearing them all in the 30 years up to that. The math is simple: win or you suck. Winners solve problems. Losers make excuses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Winning teams are built from the trenches out. You put shit in the freezer it’s not going to be ice cream just because Tom Carvel served it.

6. ColoradoContrails

No, but you can fire Tom Carvel and get Ben & Jerry to replace him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

Here's where I'm coming from, I became a Jets fan - actually a Titans fan - in 1962. I've rooted for them ever since. I've had my hopes raised, and then dashed, more times than I can count. Each time they hire a new HC and/or GM, I say "Great! This time they'll turn it around!", and then within a year or two we see the SOJ. Over the years, I've "adopted" teams to root for that could at least let me enjoy a deep playoff or SB run, but in the past decade or so I've become dissatisfied with how the NFL is run, and the way they manipulate games for the benefit of bookies and the ratings. I've held onto my interest in the Jets more out of a long term bad habit than anything else. I'm pretty close to just saying "Fuck it". I thought this season was going to finally be the turning point, despite my misgivings about Gase, but I've seen enough to know he's just another pretender. He has shown nothing that says he doing things differently. Unless this week he starts showing that he can change, then he needs to go away ASAP. If I'm wrong, I'll have no problem admitting it, and will be happy because that means the Jets are doing better. If I'm right, I'll be unhappy because it means yet another rebuild and more lost time.

Wahoo, NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Now we finally know what "Omaha!" meant after all these years. "Omaha!" = "Gase is an idiot, here's the real play call!"

NYJFOREVER and Acad23 like this.
  9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Other teams have been dealt bad hands, have suffered injuries, crippling injuries, and yet they show more creativity, ingenuity, tenacity, and passion than we do. We're playing not to embarrass ourselves(and do anyway) you look at teams that also lack talent, or experience, or depth...and they somehow patch things together and are creative and compete. They're simply better coached and prepared

I like what I've seen from Douglas thus far, but Gase may be a short termer. Adversity hit and they folded. We've got teams out there looking respectable with Brissett, Minshew etc.

Mac left us with a deficiency of talent, but they should be more competitive than this.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The Steelers are putting on a clinic in how to make things easier on a young and inexperienced backup QB. It requires competent coaches, which is probably why we can’t pull it off.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Meanwhile on the other side of the field, Zac Taylor is channeling his inner Gase. And Dalton doesn't have mono.

azhar80 likes this.
  12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Taylor reminds me of David Shula. But knowing Cinci they'll probably keep him for like 8 years

13. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with the misgivings that people have about Gase. I have not been that impressed with the Jets so far and have my issues with Gase. That being said, he had a shitty hand dealt to him so far this year.

However, I don't understand why Gase is responsible for the last eight years of Jets ineptitude. Why should Gase's leash be any shorter because the Jets have sucked recently? In fact, it can be argued that with the Jets being so bad recently (over a lengthy period of time) it will be harder to get them to be a winning franchise.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Before we try to decide whether or not to fire Gase don't we need to understand why he was hired?

azhar80 likes this.
  15. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I've been a Jet fan as long as you. I guess that means we're both old. Anyway this season has been tough. Remember when Joe Namath would go down every season and Al Woodall etc. would move in. This seems like the same thing but at least Al was the backup not the third QB. As you know the NFL has become completely QB centered. Without a top one you have no chance. I never care about coaches. You win with players and the Jets lost Darnold on offense and both inside linebackers on defense. They don't have enough depth to cover these loses. I guess it's easy to blame the coach but the reason draft choices are so prized is that teams know that talent is all. Hang in there. This year is gone but with a young talented QB they will make progress on offense and another draft or two will give them move depth on defense. Bad luck that Sam got sick but no one could have predicted that. Remember the Pats went to their backup late against the Jets and he threw a pick-six.

16. ColoradoContrails

I don't blame Gase for the last 8 years, I just don't have any patience left to give him time to get right what he supposedly brought to the table. The team looks totally unprepared. Sure, it's hard to prepare for losing so many key players, and it might be expected that they'd struggle and even lose, but it's HOW they've lost - like Gase has no clue how to adjust. But even with the injuries, he still has some pieces he could use, but hasn't. Why hasn't he used more of Montgomery and Bell together? Why did he go away from Crowder after the first game? Why is he still calling plays that everyone can predict? Why would he not take a time out as though he was going to just run the clock out, and then call pass plays that stop the clock allowing the other team to have time left to move the ball and kick a FG? These have nothing to do with injuries, they're mistakes by someone who's supposed to know better. That's what's really troubling.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Because Bowles sucked?

18. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I have no issues with anything you said above. The OL play has been abysmal - no doubt about it. Nevertheless, the Jets are not alone in the historically worst OL play. Check the Bengals game last night for even more horrors. If things don't improve on the Jets OL, then obviously somebody should have to take the fall.

People have brought up his comment sometime before the season's opener about him not being worried about the OL because they had veterans as a sign that Gase is "clueless". What the hell do you expect him to say. "I am very concerned with our old, patchwork OL that has not played one down together so far." Sorry that's just not going to happen. If he had said "We have veterans across the line and we have to get them to play together as a unit" would it make the situation any better?

The lack of creativity I agree with as well. I would counter that it's hard to be really creative when your line is losing the battle so consistently and you are down to your third string QB. I lamented the fact that there were no rollouts during the first game. However, that was before we understood the Sam had mono. Maybe they were trying to limit his expenditure of energy.

With regard to your last point, I posted the exact same thing about about the lack of a timeout followed by a pass as well. However, if we were to fire every coach who made an obvious time management mistake you wouldn't be able to field a team in a three legged race.

I don't think a anyone is satisfied with the performance of Gase's offense - even when you account for the injuries. It may be wise to fire his ass in the future. Who knows? IMHO it's not yet time. If the Jets return to moderately full strength and the same issues persist then I will agree with you and others.

The sad fact is that probably more than 95% of head coaches ultimately fall to win the VLT and probably more than 50% end up being judged as "unsuccessful". The fact that the Jets haven't won in 50 years isn't unique. Thirteen teams (some of them not around as long) haven't won it before. Add in the Miami Dolphins and nearly half the league has been as inept at bringing the championship home as the Jets.

The Jets history shouldn't affect Gase's longevity going forward. The Jets have sucked in the past. So what? It doesn't mean that the head coach shouldn't get some time to at least "right the ship".

In post #81, you mentioned the 50 years without a championship and 8 years without a playoff as not being normal in your consideration of firing Gase after three games as "being justified". Therefore, you would in essence be partly blaming him for the Jets ineptitude of the past if you fired him now.

To misquote Kenny Rogers - "They'll be time enough for firing when the season's done."

NCJetsfan, FJF and Biggs like this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Gase was hired because Bruce Arians, the best qualified NFL experienced HC to develop Sam wasn't coming to NY.

Gase has come through the ranks. He has lots of experience as a successful OC and was hired as a HC at a very young age. He took a crappy Miami team to the playoffs in his first year. After his QB went down his record went down. Miami hired a very well respected HC to replace him. They are 0 and 3 and have both their starting QB and Josh Rosen available and playing.

The Jets weren't going out on a limb and taking Kingsbury and I believe that would have been a terrible marriage for Sam. Mike McCarthy wasn't a serious candidate anywhere because he basically checked out on the Packers. The guy won a SB in Green Bay and they told him to clean out his stuff mid season and get the fuck out of the building. If that doesn't say you're done, what does?

Obviously Mac had a vested interest in bringing an inexperienced NFL HC into the building and having a huge influence on the coaching staff and team going forward. Johnson, while basically an incompetent had the good sense, gut, whatever you want to call it to not give Mac control over the organization. Gase made a lot of sense. In fact Gase turned the tables on Mac in a matter of months and it was the right thing to do.

The Jets have a 22 year old QB who is sick. They have an OL that resembles watery jello. The D is a best mediocre with a few bright spots. The WR group is second rate. Our potential star TE is suspended and we have a new GM who is barely up to speed trying to analyze and fix the roster on the fly.

If Gase sucks I'm all for firing him. The fact that the Jets suck doesn't mean Gase sucks. Shitty rosters aren't an excuse it's what it actually is.

When the Giants hired Coughlin they had 3 consecutive losing seasons. The media and the players were blowing him up in the press every day. He couldn't get along with todays players. He was too strict. He demanded accountability. Gase may well be a fucktard who will never get the attention of the players and will be a constant underachiever. It's way too soon to come to that conclusion.

NCJetsfan, NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We were a 4 win team last year. The players we brought in to improve the Roster are not playing. We played two of the best defenses in the NFL.

I think your expectations are a bit off.