No excuses...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Sep 28, 2019.

1. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Yeah I have not heard his name much this year. Anywhere.

2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Gase has to be careful. The more he rags or blame his players in public, the more the players start to not trust or respect him.

It s one thing if you’re Parcells, Couglin, Bellichek to be making public comments. Yes we know our OL has not done their job but rather than bashing the offensive team’s play in public, take the blame, rally up the troops and let’s see some adjustments!

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That's called "Leadership"...

azhar80, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

MDjets is correct, if he wants to rip them a new A$$whole behind close doors or on the practice field that is fine, that is what a leader does. Doing it through the media is a bad idea.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Especially in this particular media market. Once they smell blood in the water, look out!!

6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Just to get my cards on the table, I'm a Gase supporter. Having said that, there are plenty of legitimate criticisms being posted whether it be from Miami tenure or first 3 games. IMHO the calls to fire him are WAY premature.

The guys has barely been here, almost all of his effort (offensively) has been centered around Darnold who has been out (except the one week when he was probably sick).

Most of the complaints also have a huge element of the roster which he inherited. On top of that a lot of the guys are new, and haven't had a chance to gel. Yes they tried to patch up the line (with old guys) and it hasn't worked. But food for thought, some of the "hot" picks in FA are sucking recently (e.g., Paradis). Hot rookies and FAs may be sexy but they don't always instantly contribute either. It takes time to build chemistry

Let's judge him to see if there is growth and development of the team, as opposed to whether he dominates out of the gate. I have a hard time recalling any coach who won out of the gate (even if they had prior success)

So while the frustration and anger are somewhat expected (and IMO the real fuel for the calls to fire him), I think cooler heads are needed. It's going to be frustrating and the plauers are going to need to show grit and work through this.

azhar80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Just wait until he's 0-9. eeks!

8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We would have been one of the underdogs to lose.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Did you watch Tom Brady shred the Bills yesterday? He was worse than Sam and their O was worse than ours against the Bills. Did you know that the Pats have the No. 1 D in the league and the Bills are No. 2? Do you know our OL stinks and we ran a 3rd string QB out in 2 of our 3 games and Sam likely was sick in game 1?

We can fire everyone except the owner at any time. It won't change the fact that the roster sucks and we have played 3 good teams were we were completely outmanned at virtually ever position.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. Other teams don't have the shit OL we do. They aren't playing their 3rd string QB who had zero NFL playing time before the backup got hurt. Those teams also aren't learning a new system, and have one of their key WRs and their starting TE out, either.

The team was put together by a moron who had no idea what he was doing. I wouldn't be surprised if Mac didn't use a dart board, color by numbers or a hat to determine who he was going to draft. I don't think he had any plan whatsoever. If he did, it was one of the dumbest, most unrealistic plans ever conceived. That is why what's happening this year is understandable and somewhat excusable for Gase. That doesn't mean that it's acceptable, however. The OL play should get better and with Sam and Herndon coming back, the offense should get markedly better. He definitely needs to improve his play calling, the blocking scheme, and change some of his habits/ways he does things. If the OL play improves, but the offense doesn't, then we'll know its Gase. If the OL play doesn't improve, then we can blame that on Gase too, as well as the fact that he hasn't come up with a way/an adjustment to make the offense more successful.

cval likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, I did watch, but here's the thing: Brady and Belichick found a way to win, as they usually do. Meanwhile, we continue to find ways to lose. You want to excuse that because of the injuries, go ahead, but you're ignoring what's staring you in the face: Gase is the problem.

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Brady and Belichick find ways to win. Both of them happen to be first ballot and should both be unanimous elected to the HOF. The Pats find a way to win because they have the best Defense in the league and they have an offensive line. They also have better players at virtually every position and they have had continuity in both the locker room and at QB and HC.

The Jets are a revolving door of crap. Until that stops we will never win shit. You're acting like a drama queen. This has to play out with Sam and some guys getting healthy.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Gase might very well need to go but lets chill out. Let this season play out and Judge Gase game by game and go from there. Ass it is playing out The Bills and Pats have pretty good defenses and with a coupe of missed passes we would be singing a different tune with that game.

The Browns game is the biggest indictment so far of Gase. I will give him a pass against NE. The Eagles defense is not the best so we should be able to design some plays, but can Falk execute? Here is hoping Sam plays.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Help me understand why. What is it that you see in his past that says he is the right guy for the job? What do you see him doing here now that demonstrates he can function well as an offensive coordinator or head coach? What do you see in his post game comments that lead you to believe he knows how to communicate with a team?

Try to do this without reference to what players are not available but only in reference to those who are. Let us know what you see as his best utilizing those on the field.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't see how. He had less than a week to prepare with his back-up QB, then his back-up QB instantly got hurt in the game, so the Jets had to use a 3rd string QB who was on the practice squad earlier in the day. Week 1 was a winnable game no matter how good the Bills' defense was. That was Gase's worst game so far, because he gave away a win.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The offense was stagnant before Siemian got hurt, (He is a vet no excuse). Bills game Sam makes a throw we win.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

I have to say that your reasoning gives the Jets season hope. Additionally, Baltimore struggled against Cleveland yesterday as further proof that the Jets played maybe 3 of the better defenses in the NFL so far.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

The only agenda I have and/or Bias is that I want the team to win. I'll admit I wanted McCarthy but when AG was hired I did give him the benefit of the doubt. Frankly, I was hoping he would learn from his tenure at Miami but as of this writing, I do not see any material changes. So I am hoping you prove me and others wrong and he is the guy... as you and some others posters stated, we will see what kind of coach he is starting now...

I say now because SAM is not going to play this week - his spleen is still enlarged - and may not next week. I said originally I didn't expect him till week 6-8 and unfortunately that maybe true. However, IMHO this is where you find what kind of coaches we have... if this team comes out again and plays uninspired, uncompetitive FB, then we know CJ made a serious mistake. Like I said I hope I am wrong we'll see statig Sunday.

19. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Absolutely... Sam D played better than Brady, while he was sick from Mono and a terrible Oline. Also Brady had weeks of video footage of Bill's Defense, while Sam had to deal with them in Wk1.

Now all of our Fire Gase fans are showing passion, but they do need to take a chill pill. A 3rd String QB is not going to win many games coming from the practice squad. Falk is not high draft pick selected to save the organization.

Now to Jets play calling... Fans asking to try trick plays, and deep passes ‍♂️. You do understand you need time to throw deep passes. Our Oline forgets to block the likes of Myles Garrett for Gods sake! And you want a 3rd string qb to hold the ball for 5 seconds? We got 1 qb out for the year already. Trick plays? 3 and 9 what are we going to do flea flicker? A reverse? We are not going to fake punt from our own 30 yard line, a fake field goal? That means we are moving the ball and driving... And we all know that is not happening.

Gase play calls feature a dink and dunk offense that's sets up the deep ball. If you remember wk1 Roby had 2 deep passes that we didnt hit on. Both passes Anderson had the defense beat and were TDs if the passes were complete.

Yeah so let's fire Gase, without seeing him with a starting QB, Starting TE, etc...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this is all true but my 1 complaint is why not move the pocket more? we know the o-line is weak and it's not gase or JDs fault, but it is their fault they refuse to use a TE as an extra blocker and refuse to call my bootlegs and move the pocket. best way to buy extra time is to roll your QB out and sam is great throwing on the move