No excuses...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Sep 28, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of course the Johnsons nor Macc called him an "offensive genius" - in fact, if I remember right, Macc really didn't have much to say which was a telling sign as it turns out. But if the actual term was't used, his offensive thinking was certainly played up as the reason he was hired. But for anyone who looked into his resume, there wasn't much there that could be attributed to him alone. His success in Denver clearly was due to having a HOF QB who pretty much called his own game. Left to his own, we see the results.

No, we don't need a "genius", but we sure do need someone special. But to get a guy like that takes having the guy who hires knowing what he's looking for. I guess we're shit out of luck.

2. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

And the excuse machine rolls on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralebird likes this.
  3. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

They have dynamic players around them.

4. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Kenny Galladay is the most underated receiver in the league and Chris Godwin is 2nd.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We could've gotten either in round 3 of the 2017 draft, but selected ArDarius Stewart instead. :mad::mad::mad:

6. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Are we the only team that manages to find the guys from Alabama who can't play?

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

what offensive line?

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

and then Macidiot took ANOTHER worthless WR in Chad Hansen the very next round

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I read the Forbes article. IMO there is definite cause for us to be concerned, but I think it's too early to give up. Couldn't it be that a lot of you are posting what you post because you're biased against Gase from the start and either don't think he will succeed or don't want him to? Thus you are looking for negatives. I didn't want Gase, either, but I'm willing to give him a chance here. He could have failed in Miami because he didn't have much talent, or he could have failed because of that and the his play calling and refusal to change. There isn't much talent here, but hopefully Douglas changes that. Unless Douglas is only a figurehead and Gase still making the personnel decisions, I have to hope that since Gase won't be making personnel decisions, the personnel will definitely improve and Gase will be successful here with better personnel. I have to say that he definitely needs to make some changes and not just do things the way he did in Miami. I'm willing to give him the chance to make those changes. I have to think that Douglas will have a talk with him if he doesn't. If Gase doesn't change, and things don't get markedly better, then I'll want him gone too.

10. NCJetsfan

These are legitmate reasons and not just excuses. IMO you're being unrealistic.

11. ColoradoContrails

A. No, I don't think he'll succeed, but...

B. I hope I'm wrong.

Why would I, or anyone who's a Jets fan, want their HC to fail? Or any of their players to fail? I hope like hell that he proves me wrong, but until I see evidence that he's changing things, I won't believe it.

You can try to explain why his time in Miami doesn't carry over to now, but the numbers really don't lie. As Parcells famously said: "You are what your record says you are". Notice he didn't give any caveats or asterisks, or loopholes - your record, over time, regardless of anything else, is the truest indicator of you. As of now, that means Gase is a loser. Can he change? Sure, anything is possible. But until he actually does, he is what his record says he is.

SOJAZ and Ralebird like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I'm not saying I disagree with you. I have my doubts. I didn't want him either, and got royally pissed when the Jets hired him. I'm just willing to take a wait and see attitude if things get better once Sam and Herndon are back, and the OL shows some improvement. If they don't, then I'll want him gone ASAP as well.

13. NCJetsfan

If you're willing to fire him now, then you aren't really giving him a chance to succeed.

I know you'd rather be wrong and him succeed than be right and him fail, but I can't speak to the motivations of everyone else. I know I have seen posters before who would rather be right even if it meant the Jets suffered or came out worse for it. I don't know all the other posters who are ready to fire Gase as well as I know you.

14. ColoradoContrails

Here's where I'm coming from. When i say "Fire him now", I do mean that, but at the same time I know they won't do that. However, what "Fire him now" means is that his leash ought to be very short, and if he continues to show the same problems over the next few games, then the Johnsons ought to cut their losses and fire him then, not wait until the end of the season.

As for worrying about how firing him now (or before the end of the season) would impact coaching candidates, I don't think it will have any effect on any candidate who's good and believes in himself. In fact, it would send a loud and clear message that the team isn't going tolerate losing. George Steinbrenner was a raging asshole, and he made his share of mistakes, but the one thing he did right was to make sure everyone knew that winning was imperative. If you didn't win - for whatever reason - you were gone. And for Steinbrenner, winning meant only one thing: Championship. The Jets have been satisfied - and many of their fans have been satisfied - with just making the playoffs. Hell, Rex's two AFCCGs were treated as "mini SBs", but that's as close as they've come in decades. And that's been good enough for Hess, and then the Johnsons, and look what that's gotten us.

So, yeah, Gase needs to win,or at least look like he's building towards that and having the team be competitive, So far he hasn't, and that's what his record says he is, so if he can't show REAL improvement in a few games, ten fire him and look for someone who can actually make them winners. And if the Johnsons allow Douglas to do that search, the odds will be much better.

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

NC -----> I would rather Gase and the Jets WIN and succeed and for me to be wrong. I thought the guy was a loser before we hired him and he has not done a thing to sway my opinion.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Rex and many fans wanted a parade after winning the Snoopy Bowl

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

He could very well be a loser and been a poor hire. After all Mac and Chris Johnsons made the hire.

I just want to see what he can do with better OL play and Sam and Herndon back. If things don't look signifcantly better and he doesn't make any changes, then I'll want him gone too.

CBG and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

One offensive touchdown in twelve quarters of football is inexcusable, regardless of who is playing QB. Other teams are playing their backup QB and have scored more than one td in one quarter. There is a big difference between being competitive and losing and being a laughing stock. So while perennial doormats/laughing stocks like Tampa, Detroit, Buffalo and Cleveland all make positive strides and continue to improve, the Jets continue to sink further into the abyss.

Quite alarmingly, for a franchise which has experienced many dark times, this seems to rival some of the very worst. They threw all this money at this team and it looks like it was patched together by somebody whose expertise does not go beyond color by numbers. But let's not be haters and cool it with the negativity, because this team has given us all so much to be grateful for.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets, CBG and 2 others like this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Here's where I think you're 100% incorrect. I think a lot of people here, myself included, have been looking for positives since Gase was still a candidate for the job. We didn't find any then and we still haven't. What we have found is what we feared most, the same type of performance we got from the last offensive genius - Jeremy Bates. And the same type of performance Miami got.

Exactly what is it that you see as positives? How long do we need to wait this time around to find some? How long will that chance take that you're willing to give?

CBG likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Just thinking that in a week with nine underdogs winning the Jets got screwed again by having a bye.