No excuses...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Sep 28, 2019.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Jets has been man handled the first 3 games. Defense and offense were badly outplayed, no getting around it. Want to make an excuse because no Darnold, no Mosley no Q. Ok go ahead. The fact is we re still 0-3.

As I mentioned in other posts we re not out of this. Players developed through this. They have to stay together and play competitively. It s a long season. Problem I have is whether players will continue to play for Gase or whether they ll start to question him like in Miami

#21 MDJets, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I usually don't bother watching any other games than the Jets, but I turned the TV on and the Chiefs are playing the Lions. I'm watching both teams and saying "Why can't the Jets play like this?" Sure, Mahomes is All World, and Stafford is a damn good QB, but it's not just those two. The single biggest difference I see is the play calling on both teams...so different than what Gase is calling.They make it look almost easy, while everything the Jets do seems almost impossible.

It's easy to see what the solution is: I shouldn't watch any other football teams.

boozer32, NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I totally agree. It always seems like everything we do on offense seems so tough to do. Its as if we're playing on All-Madden mode on offense. Other teams make it look so seemless. I don't think since 2010 when our offense was running at will and Sanchez was chucking deep passes off the play action did our offense ever look "easy".

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Where were you in 2015?

5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

One year wonder like all of Fitzpatricks performances.

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

That was one of the best offensive teams in franchise history.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Even the Giants play calling is good.

Bills defense giving Brady fits.

Lions containing Mahomes.

Defense is stepping up elswhere

8. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

I'm watching the same game, it's not just this game though. I look at teams with late round rookie QB's(Panthers, Jaguars) playing really good football.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Shhh...

Don't spread it around ...but we're tanking.

It's the only thing that makes sense.:confused:

Leo's contract is up and we need to grab a high 1st round ineffective replacement.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  10. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I posted this recently, and I'll repeat because it speaks volumes about the "Offensive Genius" ....

He's coached 52 games.
    His team has scored 17 points or less in 26 of them.

Incomprehensibly bad in today's NFL.
    And even more incomprehensible that the Johnsons are as stupid as they are.
    They don't even understand the business they're in.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That stat is pretty meaningless imo. The important point that you're missing is that was with shit teams and shit QBs, and mostly backup QBs. I don't think any HC or OC would have had much more success with the lack of talent that Gase has had to work with. Gase can be proven to suck without misleading stats like you posted.

12. truthbtold

There's nothing misleading about it.
    All you're doing is making excuses for a terrible coach.
    Good coaches are finding a way to score with backups all over the league.
    Talk to Dolphin fans and get back to me.

Ralebird, NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

They understand the business they're in. It's about making money. And in the NFL that's almost impossible to screw up. The football team comes a distant second.

14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Hmm I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you. He coached 3 years at Miami and had Opportunity to draft players to his style. In fact his top draft picks were mostly defense. He came in with a good offensive line, RB and WRs and win 10 games the first year. And yet he really didn’t develop much talent offensively. Ok Tannehill was over rated. Why didn’t he draft a QB? I think theses stats above are not meaningless and cannot he ignore. Can he turn it around? Absolutely! He could gel better with Darnold and click late this season and next year. That is possible. But cannot ignore the stats though.

15. Everyone is going crazy w this “offensive genius” & “QB whisperer” crap.To my knowledge Gase nor ownership ever labeled him as such. Its just been hot aur hearsay from other outlets.

Hes not a genius.Nor do we need a genius.”Mangenius” “magic mike” “sanchise” “Joe & the magic bean” why do we have to throw all of our hope into these tall tale forms of hyperbole? We dont need einstein.We dont need a gimmick.It doesnt need to be a magical wizard rhodes scholar.Just a competent visionary w a strong football acumen.

Gase is however an offensive coach & to expect more than what weve got is far from unreasonable.I still think we need to see this offense w all weapons in place & hopefully an OL that can actually identify blocks before burying him.

That said its trending toward another coaching search at the end of this season. Lucky us.

16. NCJetsfan

It's totally misleading imo. You're comparing apples and oranges. You can't compare what a HC or OC does with a great offensive roster vs what a HC or OC does with weak offensive roster. It's not excuses. It's FACTS.

Gase may be a bad HC or OC, but imo you can't determine that by looking at how few points his offense scored when he had a subpar roster.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

#36 NCJetsfan, Sep 29, 2019
  17. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to agree to disagree, then. How long as it been since the Dolphins have been to the playoffs? What was their talent base like? Their OL was not that good. Tannehill wasn't that good, and was injured a lot, so they were playing with a backup QB. As to why they didn't draft a QB, I don't know. They may not have been in position to draft one and didn't have the ammo to trade up.

One might fault the Dolphins for not drafting better offensive talent, but maybe their D talent was much worse than their offensive talent, or maybe they were going BPA, or simply make a mistake in who they drafted, but imo one simply cannot logically compare what an OC or HC does with subpar talent vs what an OC or HC does with really good talent.

#37 NCJetsfan, Sep 29, 2019
  18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

NC, I believe that most of us are basing our comments on his tenure in Miami. His last three years were losing seasons and he was HC/GM that got his type of players in and they still lost. Even if you discard my last statement and jut look at his last three (3) games in Miami, they were L. That means he is 0-6 right now, I posted an article form Forbes about AG and the

I say prove it. Many posters here were saying what a great CS we have. I'll focus just on the offense and STs, since they are the ones struggling. Granted our OC is a joke. Supposedly, we have one of the better OL coaches in the NFL or at least someone who is respected. We have Shawn Jefferson and Hines Ward working with our WRs. Our RB coach is a former offensive assistant, QB coach, and OC. Our STs Coordinator led some of the best STs play they'd ever had last season, and had two players on his unit make All Pro.

NC …. a lot of us are posting what we post because of his tenure in Miami... How about reading this article form FORBES not some web site or as you say some fan.. but a legitimate publication: try reading this and then defend the man
    source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelz...ew-york-jets-the-exact-same-way/#2ff91fdc1937

By Adam Gase’s own admission, his offensive line’s “techniques and fundamentals just were not there” when the Jets allowed five sacks to New England on Sunday. So this bye week would provide a perfect opportunity to correct that with some specific practice time dedicated to those flaws, right?

Well, apparently not, considering Gase already has dismissed his players for the week without having any on-field workouts, opting instead for film study and meetings before sending them home.

The first-year New York Jets coach’s rationale? “That's just kind of been the way I've done it,” he said Monday.

In other words, because that’s how Gase did it in Miami.

Why did Gase similarly choose to have no on-field practice time during rookie mini-camp in May, also merely having meetings and film study?

Because that’s how he did it in Miami.

Why did Gase schedule mandatory June mini-camp before a week of organized team activities, instead of making it the spring finale the way most teams do?

Because that’s how he did it in Miami.

Why does Gase’s play-calling on offense with the Jets consistently feature third-down passes nowhere near the first-down markers?

Well, Gase hasn’t specifically come out and said why, but it’s safe to assume it’s because (all together now)—that’s how he did it in Miami.

Detecting a pattern here?

So maybe the Jets’ bye, the earliest in the NFL this season along with San Francisco, should provide Gase with a chance to do some soul-searching and ask himself, exactly why am I doing everything the same way I did it in Miami?

Consider that this also is how Gase did it in Miami—a 23-25 regular-season record, one playoff game (a loss to Pittsburgh in 2016, Gase’s first season there), and an eventual dismissal by owner Stephen Ross after the two men had clashed last December.

If Gase is completely honest with himself, he might realize that following a failed blueprint to the letter isn’t the best path for success.

To be fair, he isn’t the first NFL coach to be this stubborn. In fact, anecdotal evidence demonstrates that two of his recent New York predecessors did much the same thing. Only in both cases, they went down the same path after being banished from the Jets’ Florham Park, N.J. complex.

Eric Mangini, a former lieutenant of Bill Belichick’s in New England, arrived in 2006 and got off to a fast start, going 10-6 and securing a wild-card playoff berth. (The Jets lost his lone playoff game to the Patriots.)

Although Mangini did many good things, and helped build the foundation for Rex Ryan’s first two New York squads, the one curious aspect of his tenure was his personality. In private back then, he could be engaging and charming, much like the Eric Mangini you see on TV debate shows these days. But for some reason, he chose to emulate not just Belichick’s New England blueprint, but also his dour, humorless public presence. It was much the same behind the scenes with the players, and he was fired after the 2008 season because owner Woody Johnson felt Mangini had lost the locker room. (Coincidentally, his record at the time was the same as Gase’s in Miami, 23-25 and 0-1 in the post-season.)

But all was not lost for “The Mangenius,” as he briefly had been dubbed by the New York media. Much like Gase, Mangini landed another head coaching job, this one with Cleveland, less than two weeks after being fired.

Despite the fresh start, Mangini stuck to his tight-lipped ways, even bringing along the personal assistant, Erin O’Brien, he’d had with the Jets, dubbing her “director of team operations.” But she soon was forced out in Cleveland, a harbinger of what was to come.

Long story short—Mangini was fired by Browns owner Randy Lerner after two seasons.

Back in New Jersey, Mangini was replaced by his antithesis, the brash, charismatic Rex Ryan. Aided by the roster largely constructed by Mangini and then-general manager Mike Tannenbaum, Ryan made it to the AFC title game in each of his first two seasons but failed to produce a playoff appearance subsequently.

But he also landed on his feet quickly, hired as Buffalo’s head coach. Ryan continued his bombastic ways unabated, even having his pickup truck painted in the Bills’ colors, but also was shown the door after two seasons.

It’s human nature, when one immediately is hired after being fired by someone else, to think it wasn’t your fault. That you don’t need to change anything. But the Mangini and Ryan itineraries demonstrate otherwise.

So unless quarterback Sam Darnold returns from mononucleosis and attains elite NFL status at lightning speed, Gase is going to have to figure out how to do things a bit differently to be successful post-Miami, and soon. A good place to start would be in his chronic habit of being conservative on third down.

This has been going on since his days in south Florida, and his relocation north hasn’t changed that approach. On Sunday, quarterback Luke Falk took an incomplete deep shot on his first third-down attempt. After that, the Jets ran the ball on three third downs in the first half, and threw short passes on the other two. (To be fair, it’s possible wide receiver Jamison Crowder was forced to break off his comeback route too quickly because of tight coverage, resulting in a 10-yard gain on a third-and-12.)

And lest you think that was merely because Gase was working with a former third-stringer against the disciplined, well-coached Patriots, note that he did the same thing with Darnold in the Week 1 loss to Buffalo. On a crucial third-and-12 in the fourth quarter, Gase called a screen to Crowder, who caught the ball 2 yards past the line of scrimmage. He wound up 2 yards shy of a first down.

One reason Gase landed the New York job was by having former pupil Peyton Manning call Jets owner Christopher Johnson with a glowing recommendation.

But if Gase doesn’t change his approach with the Jets, he very well might eventually have to press Manning into service again. Only this time, the owner probably won’t take Peyton’s phone call.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. truthbtold

I watched every game he coached in Miami. I'm certainly not saying he had a lot to work with, but every rule in the game is designed to help the offense. His offenses routinely could not move the ball, no matter who was on the field. He specialized in ending drives with 30 yard incomplete passes on 3rd and 1, and passes to the RB 5 yards behind the LOS on 3rd and 7. When we hired him, every Dolphins fan I know was laughing his ass off. This man is not a good coach. You may disagree with me now, but let's see how you feel by week 12.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good Post ...All this is True concerning our present fearless leader

Dumb Ownership (the Johnsons) completely ignored every fact you researched about AG and hired him over McCarthy a SB winning Coach who also left previous job on bad terms, and hired Gase on a hunch and the bolded Phone call ..ridiculous reasoning imo

Our Owners have left us with a big "maybe"..once again crossing fingers and toes he turns out to be a decent Coach

gotta say it>>>it suks to be a Jet fan

ColoradoContrails likes this.