Niners now have the 3rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Kleckobeast, Mar 26, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think that JD taking Sewell is even a remote possibility. If that was his plan, I think he would have traded down with Philadelphia or maybe Atlanta. He doesn't want to upset his #1 pick from last season or have problems re-signing both in 4-5 years. He knows that he needs a new QB, and that Sam isnt' the answer.

IMO if his plan is to roll with Sam draft Sewell, then he is flat out incompetent and should be fired now.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well, if he wants Sewell, trading back to #6 would've put that at risk because both Atlanta and the Bengals might well take him, more so the Bengals, depending on how much the Falcons still like Ryan.

And I know how much you believe that Douglas doesn't want Darnold, but you, I, nor anyone has no proof of that. While he might well prefer a different QB, that might be like me saying, "I prefer to have a new Mercedes SUV instead of my Chevy pickup" - what we want and what we can have are often far apart in reality. Don't forget where Douglas came from, or his background as a former OL in college, or that he has said his philosophy is to build from the trenches out. With that in mind, doesn't it make some sense to think that he might keep Darnold, draft Sewell to greatly upgrade the OL (he's already done that with the DL in FA), and look to add some weapons and maybe another OL?

That might make you call it quits, and it will certainly cause me to seriously consider fading into the fringe area of being a Jets fan, but it isn't a far stretch to think this could happen.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Not only does he believe in the bolded, Saleh also believes in this philosophy. Look I’m not trying to be a shock jock or a bearer of bad news, I want a FQB as well but to pencil in Wilson as the Jets selection is just a bit premature for me.

There are other possibilities that are more in line with Joe’s blueprint and philosophy for team building.

#143 Red Menace, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Two years ago he said he would listen to any trade proposals except those involving Darnold. This year he says he's open to offers. There are things also that lead me to believe he's not high on Darnold. And last year probably sealed the deal for him.

No one is going to kill JD for moving on from Sam. He may go on to be better QB somewhere else but the odds of that ever happening are low and then you factor in the contract situation and I can definitely see why it's time to pick another QB.

REVISion likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Sewel won't get past the Bengals

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Wilson is fine. Fields is fine. Trading the pick for a haul like the Dolphins got is fine. Wasting that amount of draft capital on a non-QB is grounds for an immediate firing.

Noam, Ralebird, REVISion and 5 others like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with you that Sewell won’t be pick for that type of capital.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I would truly be stunned if JD passed on a QB and took Sewell. There's no "might" to it. If JD takes Sewell at #2 that truly would be the end for me with JD and the Jets. I would want him fired, disgraced, and his head on a pike outside of 1 Jets Plaza. It would prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt, that JD is not qualified to be a GM in today's NFL, and that the Jets are cursed and would never get it right.

9. NCJetsfan

Exactly! He shouldn't even be allowed to finish the draft.

REVISion and GQMartin like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If you don't want the trade you say, "well I wanna wait and see what other teams might offer, etc." This early in the draft season you dont out and out declining the offer, or state your not trading the pick, because its inside information that can be used against you. Which is exactly what happened.

You don't tip your hand this early in draft season. Especially in a draft climate as crazy as this years. People will be in denial but the way we handled this was a screw up.

#150 ouchy, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  11. 757-Niner

757-Niner Member

Absolutely!

This is move is for a QB. Which QB is the biggest topic of discussion at the moment. But this was a move to get a cost-controlled talent at the position for the next 5 years. Now we don't have to worry about finagling the cap, trying to extending guys like Bosa & Warner. Shanny gets the QB of his choosing and we'll eventually get back a pick by trading Jimmy, who I expect to have a nice bounce back year. That way he can choose where he wants to setup shop next (thinking he's want to go home to Chicago personally).

12. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Houston is probably in tank mode. Trade everyone, clear cap. See how Watson plays out.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Or may be SF just didn’t like JDs offer and they went with what was behind curtain number three

14. 757-Niner

757-Niner Member

No reward without some risk...

I think Shanny has slowly has come around to the fact that you have someone that can make off-schedule plays rather routinely in this league. When things breakdown, can you buy time with either your legs, your arm or your pocket savvy & intelligence. And if you don't check at least one of those boxes, you'll always be at the mercy of those teams who have QBs who do check at least one of those boxes.

I also think they realized the mistake they made by not taking a QB three years ago because they had Jimmy and were not going to make that same mistake again. They were in a position to go up and acquire the QB they want, so they did.

All I wanted was them to not stand pat with Jimmy and shake up the QB room. Well they've definitely done that now lol. Can't ask for more. If it's Lance, if it's Fields...fine, whatever. Even if its Jones, I'll die a little inside but I will give Lynch & Co. credit for not sitting on their collective hands and hoping for the best with Jimmy Average. Sometimes you have to create your own luck. I just wanted them to be bold and make their run. I'm not going to get lost in who we select (well a little). They're going for it. And as a fan, that's all you can ask for.

Losmeister, NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

My bathtub has more rings than Marino!

K'OB and mrjet80 like this.
  16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Im not sure how it was used against him? If JD wants Wilson he’s keeping the pick. If the 49ers want to move up they’ll find other ways to move up as they did.

The Dolphins got a nice haul but again when a team is looking for their franchise QB - in this case a new franchise QB - they’re gonna stay put as Jacksonville is.

Stockpiling future picks is nice but winning the offseason is pointless after a while. It looks like JD believes he has a new franchise QB - for one pick.

REVISion and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. mrjet80

If I could like this ten times I would.....

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="NCJetsfan, post: 4064527, member: 20404"]I don't think that JD taking Sewell is even a remote possibility. If that was his plan, I think he would have traded down with Philadelphia or maybe Atlanta. He doesn't want to upset his #1 pick from last season or have problems re-signing both in 4-5 years. He knows that he needs a new QB, and that Sam isnt' the answer.

IMO if his plan is to roll with Sam draft Sewell, then he is flat out incompetent and should be fired now.[/QUOTE]

If Sam/QB wasn't an issue, I think absolutely Sewell would be a Jet. 360 pound Becton moving to RT would instantly give the Jets the top running game in the league. And Sewell at LT would give whoever is QB a blindside he can be proud of. If there were any way JD could get Sewell AND a QB a bit latter he'd do it 100 out of 100 times.

19. mrjet80

Agreed. I’d add JD would also have traded down with the 49ers and gotten the same package Miami did..

20. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

Darnolds probably a great choice if you're in tank mode.